Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Switch to Forum Live View Irene Evac Underway Along East Coast U.S.
3 years ago  ::  Aug 29, 2011 - 10:38AM #41
farragut

"Tri-Cities of Albany, Troy, Schenectady"

What fond memories you bring back. When I was in high school I would sit with my books and papers in the evening, with my radio tuned to WPTR, listening to Casual Classics.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 29, 2011 - 4:25PM #42
Wanderingal

If you see the video of all the rushing floodwaters and the downed trees and the smashed houses rhe area is anything but calm today...

Four million+ people without power today along the east coast.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 29, 2011 - 9:07PM #43
Wanderingal

According to the evening news Vermont is in the midst of a major disastor. There is major flooding in every part of the state and every major road has some damage.

Some bridges including some old covered bridges have been swept away.

The video of the fast flowing flood waters is horrifying.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 30, 2011 - 6:14AM #44
DotNotInOz
Three historic covered bridges have been destroyed, I heard on the news this morning. 

Whole villages have been washed away as well, and sadder still, several major rivers haven't even crested yet. The devastation likely will become even worse. 

At least, unlike the 1938 hurricane, people were warned in time to evacuate so loss of life may remain minimal. 

Still and all, I'm saddened thinking of the beautiful and historic structures that are irreparably damaged or simply gone.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 30, 2011 - 9:19AM #45
Wanderingal

Dot--hi. I too am saddend by the loss of old structures--as well as by the loss of any lives and property.

But--on th news last night at least one of the destroyed "old" bridges they showed they also said had been reconstructed in the 1980s.

So IMO it was a little misleading to call it an "old covered bridge" when it was a reconstruction of one.

Maybe the others were a similar situation?

In any event--if they could reconstruct an "old" bridge once--they can probably do it again.

In this case I am now a bit leery of some of the "info" that is coming out of Vermont--at least when it comes to "old" structures....

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 30, 2011 - 9:23AM #46
Wanderingal

And now I am going to report this that I heard yesterday--and file it under the REALLY stpid things that some people say--

Yesterday I heard Pat Robertson on the "700 Club" say that "The hurricane was BORING."

He meant that it didn't have the very high winds that many people associate with hurricanes--and hat it had NOT affected him in a negative way.

But it sounded and was very callous thing to say.

In the next breath he was talking about one of the people who work on his show--and how their house and car had been seriously damaged by trees falling on them!

Imagine how that person msut have felt to hear thei boss describe THEIR experiecnc as "boring"?

Some people have NO sensitivity--youd think a "man of God" would know better...

BTW--I tune into that program every so often to see what lies he is telling in lieu of what he calls "the news."

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 30, 2011 - 9:54AM #47
TemplarS

Aug 30, 2011 -- 9:19AM, Wanderingal wrote:

Dot--hi. I too am saddend by the loss of old structures--as well as by the loss of any lives and property.

But--on th news last night at least one of the destroyed "old" bridges they showed they also said had been reconstructed in the 1980s.

So IMO it was a little misleading to call it an "old covered bridge" when it was a reconstruction of one.

Maybe the others were a similar situation?

In any event--if they could reconstruct an "old" bridge once--they can probably do it again.

In this case I am now a bit leery of some of the "info" that is coming out of Vermont--at least when it comes to "old" structures....

Unfortunately, time and weather are enemies of every historic structure.  I remember when I was in Florence- the famous bronze doors on the Baptistry are today not the original bronze doors, which were removed for preservation. The doors on the building were replicas.  I would assume that to any except the most trained eye (not mine, for sure), one could not tell the difference.

I guess one should ask in these cases, what is the purpose of preserving these things.  In cases like the bronze doors, they are art, but also a window into a historical era; so, you preserve the art, and still give people the window.

I don't know that covered bridges are art, or engineering marvels- but they do give people that window into history.  And they are tourist draws.  So, if they get deatroyed, you replace them on that basis as best you can.  No wooden structure is going to last forever.

I'm planning a trip to Vermont in October; I don't know what I'll find, but I'm still going. The best thing for these areas (where tourism is such a major part of the economy) is to continue to patronize them.  I was in New Orleans after Katrina as the French Quarter was trying to get back on its feet, and I was happy to go there and spend a few dollars.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 30, 2011 - 10:06AM #48
DotNotInOz
You've a point, I think, Templar.

I believe I read that it was the Bartonsville Covered Bridge near Rockingham, VT that had had substantial reconstruction done to it. It was one of the three swept away. 

While it does seem dubious in a sense, I think there's a degree of value to replicating such structures when necessary or advisable. At least, we are reminded what the original was like even if what we're seeing isn't that.

Guess I'm just a history geek. I thought it impressive to see Revolutionary War bulletholes in some houses' siding carefully preserved in Lexington, MA, too.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 30, 2011 - 10:13AM #49
Wanderingal

Don't get me  wrong--I'm all in favor of historic reconstructions etc.

I was objecting more to the misleading "info" we were being given.

Templar--the pictures from Vermont this morning are far from pretty. I think it's admirable that you want to go there and patronize their businesses to help them recover.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook