Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Irene Evac Underway Along East Coast U.S.
3 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2011 - 3:58PM #1
DotNotInOz

www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at4.shtml?5-da...

Here's the tracker for those who want to keep abreast of where the threat is greatest.

Mayor Bloomberg has already issued a mandatory evacuation order for lowlying areas of NYC boroughs--Battery Park, Manhattan; Coney Island and Brooklyn Beach communities; the Rockaways, Queens and shore areas of Staten Island. Such an order is historic--the first ever.

Even though Irene has been downgraded to a high-level Cat. 1, the storm is so very wide and slow-moving that the threat is greater than if her windspeeds were higher.

Many thoughts, prayers and much concern for those living along the East Coast of the U.S. as Hurricane Irene starts her trek up the coast.   

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2011 - 5:03PM #2
rocketjsquirell

Thanks for your thoughts. Here in South Jersey, we have no place to which to evacuate. (Actually, we are the evacuation zone for the southern shore) We are all just going to hunker down and hope for the best. As long as the power lines hold up we should all be fine, even if we are pretty wet. That is why the downgrade to category 1 is good news. The winds tend to take down power lines.

Good luck every one!

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2011 - 5:24PM #3
DotNotInOz
Hope you hold out wonderfully, Squirrel.

My in-laws are near Princeton. Spoke with them earlier and asked if they've lots of peanut butter. Sure do, they said, but don't expect major hassles where they are either. We've relatives not far from Coney Island and some on Staten Island, NY so are concerned for them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2011 - 7:40PM #4
TemplarS

I'm in the mountains of northern NJ, so flooding will not be a problem.  But, we are expecting damage from downed trees, and power outages.  We've stocked up on supplies, not much to do at this point but sit tight and wait it out.   Hope the folks closer to the coast will make out all right.

Thing is, in the NYC area this is not a usual occurrence, so it is difficult to know how to prepare and what to expect.   Throw a snowstorm or blizzard at us, we can handle it.  But this is something else.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2011 - 7:47PM #5
Stardove

The Beliefnet office has been close and staff has evacuated. 

May those in the path of this storm be wise and follow instructions and leave areas, if they are told to.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2011 - 7:54PM #6
Stardove

www.orlandosentinel.com/weather/hurrican...

This is a great page to keep up with the hurricane news.  All the flashing spots are video cams. 

In Florida the blue flashing spot gives weather/hurricane updates from the National Hurricane Center.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2011 - 8:00PM #7
jane2

Templar, Rockey, B-Net Staff

May you and all in the path of Irene be safe.

Jane

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2011 - 9:03PM #8
farragut

Trust that all our old friends at Raritan river, Piscattaway, Basking Ridge, will be secure.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2011 - 9:57PM #9
mountain_man

Now isn't that just like the East Coast to be selfish. They're hogging all the rain. We could use some of that rain over here to help with a HUGE wildfire near Yosemite. Because of this fire I have to add an hour to my already one hour commute.

Send us some of that rain, please.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2011 - 10:23PM #10
TemplarS

If I could, I would...

Even before Irene, this month was breaking records for high rainfall here... 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook