Page 2 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
3 years ago  ::  Aug 23, 2011 - 3:19PM #11
Merope

Aug 23, 2011 -- 2:28PM, JanaDale wrote:

The Beliefnet office is in Norfolk, Virginia. Everyone's alright here!

Thanks for checking in.  I'm glad everyone is OK! 

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 23, 2011 - 3:28PM #12
Ken

My chair wobbled slightly in Pittsburgh.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 23, 2011 - 4:59PM #13
Roodog

We had a pretty sharp quake in Las Animas county  out here in Colorado.  :0

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 23, 2011 - 7:55PM #14
jane2

Big-time chit-chat in the Atlanta area. Some in my small city north of the city felt some tremors. My cable tv flickered a bit, but no shaking.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 24, 2011 - 1:44AM #15
Paravani

Aug 23, 2011 -- 4:59PM, Roodog wrote:

Hi, All!

Hi, Roo!  Yeah, I saw that on USGS -- you actually had a swarm of quakes in one spot.  I didn't look up the times of the little ones, so I don't know if they were fore-shocks or after-shocks -- but the 5.3 came at 11:46 last night, Colorado time.

And it's not really "normal" for Colorado to have quakes of that size, either.  In fact, USGS says it was the largest they've recorded in the region, but it was too far from any population centers to make the news anywhere but in Colorado.

It makes me wonder where else in the US we're going to have big quakes.  Are these two events "foreshocks" to warn of another, much larger?  I don't think so -- anyway, I hope not...  but still...

So, who here remembers THIS thread that I started a few months ago?

Love,

-- Claudia

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 24, 2011 - 2:37AM #16
Wanderingal

Aug 23, 2011 -- 4:59PM, Roodog wrote:

I'm surprised we didn't feel that here. We often do.

But nada last night.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 24, 2011 - 11:05AM #17
DotNotInOz

Just heard that the cause of that earthquake has been determined--Seems that Michele Bachmann's latest gaffe resulted in the Founding Fathers spinning in their graves.

hee hee hee

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 24, 2011 - 12:17PM #18
TPaine

Back on March 14, 2011 House Majority Leader Eric Cantor defended Republican proposals to cut spending for the National Weather Service, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and the U.S. Geological Survey. Link Guess whose congressional district the epicenter of yesterday's east coast earthquake was in?

If you guessed Eric Cantor, give yourself a gold star.

"The right of voting for representatives is the primary right by which other rights are protected. To take away this right is to reduce a man to slavery, for slavery consists in being subject to the will of another, and he that has not a vote in the election of representatives is in this case." Thomas Paine:
Dissertation on First Principles of Government (July 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 24, 2011 - 12:56PM #19
Merope

Apparently, both the Washington Monument and the National Cathedral in DC sustained a fair amount of seismic/structural damage.  The Washington Monument is closed until further notice.  The National Cathedral (which lost some finials from one (or more?) of its pinnacles and sustained damage to one or more of its flying buttresses) is closed to visitors until further notice.

Damage to the flying buttresses is troubling because one church in San Francisco that suffered significant damage in the Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989 added flying buttresses as part of the church's seismic retrofitting in the wake of the quake.  I suspect, though, that San Francisco's seismic standards are higher than those in DC.  And I know the National Cathedral's buttresses are much older than those at the SF church in question.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 24, 2011 - 12:59PM #20
Merope

Not only that, but we had a little 3.6 late last night here in the SF Bay Area - followed by a 2.3 aftershock.  Felt like the jarring from an explosion.  Shoot ... enough already :p

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook