Switch to Forum Live View Jack Layton, Canada's Opposition Leader, dies of cancer at age of 61
3 years ago  ::  Aug 22, 2011 - 2:30PM #1
Douglas_macneill
I couldn't believe it at first, but it has happened.  Use this link to find out more:

www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2011/08/2...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 22, 2011 - 6:31PM #2
Mostyn32

Douglas, I get the feeling that all Canadians are feeling sad today. Jack Layton was a great Canadian, one of the few politicians one felt one could trust, and his death leaves us feeling bereft.  I also get the feeling that most Canadians admired Jack, whether or not they agreed with his party's policies, for his undeniable love of Canada and all that our country is and can be, for his commitment to social justice, for his courage as he fought a losing battle against cancer, for his unbounded enthusiasm and that great smile. It is appropriate that he will be given a state funeral because all Canada mourns him today.

RIP, Jack. You will be greatly missed, not only by your family and friends, and your party, but by all Canadians. 

"God is no captious sophister, eager to trip us up whenever we say amiss, but a courteous tutor, ready to amend what, in our weakness or our ignorance, we say ill, and to make the most of what we say aright."  from 'A Learned Discourse on Justification', a sermon by Richard Hooker (1554-1600).
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook