Page 10 of 10  •  Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
3 years ago  ::  Jul 24, 2011 - 9:03PM #91
jane2

Jul 24, 2011 -- 5:39PM, DotNotInOz wrote:

When I hear that people are urged to go check to be sure elderly relatives and neighbors are okay during extreme heat, I often think of aged relatives I marveled at who'd smack on a straw hat or old-timey sunbonnet to go work in their vegetable garden in hot weather. I still have and sometimes wear a slat-style sunbonnet made by my maternal grandmother. It's a better, more comfortable sunshade than any of the sunhats I've got, too. Honestly, we've gotten to be such wussies unable to survive without air conditioning!

DOT

Wusses come in many forms.

At 71 with moderate COPD, for me choosing to go to a hotel was judicious. Even my repair man who owns the service recommended doing so--even suggested somewhere relatively inexpensive. We picked a Hilton not far from my home.

I'm no wuss. Nine ears ago, after my husband's death I traded two cars for my new BMW 325i--insisted they pick up one trade. Sometime later in a not so hot market I sold our big home, with an in-ground pool and purchased a ranch condo not too far from one daughter : picked the right realtor.

I dont do gardening. We had a lawn service and pool service when my husband became ill.
He kept the two-acre grounds and the pool manicured as long as he could.

This is a small hotel with a restaurant and room service but no real dining room. Meant to be a bit snarky about the ho-hum room service shrimp cocktail. Rooms here don't even have mini-bars !! We encounteredour first mini-bar in our two-room suite at the Chateau Frontenac in Paris in 1973...complete with splits of French champagne. (We didnt use it.)

Just messing around.........................My husband and I usually stayed on the concierge level in American hotels, ya know --free cocktails and snackies and free breakfast

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 24, 2011 - 9:15PM #92
Wanderingal

We just had a beautiful gulleywsher complete with pouring rain that obscured even my view od the hosue across the street and lightning so close there was no delay between the lightning flash and the thunder.

Somehow some rain water got inside and now my carpet is soaked. Problem is I can't figure out how the water got in.

All I can say for sure is it didn't leak in from the roof......or any of the windows I can see.

Oh well--another one of those "Water in the house suddenly" puzzles that often accompany our gulleywashers.

I am NOT complaining about the rain--or even the leak. The (inexpensive) capet is going to be extra clean.

And I can already hear the birds chirping happily outside in the backyard.

Post scriptum--figured out how the water came in--it rained so had the water came in through the crack between the door and the jamb. Fifty mile an hour wind will do that....

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 25, 2011 - 4:59AM #93
DotNotInOz
Needless to say, Jane, someone such ss yourself with a chronic lung disease hardly qualifies as a wuss. You've good reason to seek habitation with a/c, since it's essential for you. 

My remark was meant more to honor how people used to deal with the heat because they hadn't any more comfortable option. 

We may be softies today what with all our luxuries, but it would take Bill Gates' riches and then some to get me to live without air conditioning. 
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 25, 2011 - 10:19AM #94
Cesmom

Highs in the upper 80's and lower 90's all week.  The heat has moved on to the east and I am thrilled!  My apologies to those east of us ;-)

Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 25, 2011 - 7:45PM #95
REteach

Yes, we seem to be back to Just Plain July hot instead of OhMYGOD it's so fricken HOT hot. Hubby is going to DC tomorrow on business--following the misery.  :)

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 25, 2011 - 8:28PM #96
jane2

Short respite here in Atlanta--yippee. And my a/c is fixed.

I live in a ranch-condo community and our condos demand centra airl and heat. These are ten-yr-old buildings.

The Hilton was cool even if they don't have great shrimp cocktails. Lucky me.

DOT

Life today is very complicated in the "fast lanes" and many are close to being overwhelmed. I rue the rigidty that many pursue.

I had great fun in conversations with my 15-y-o grandson and his 16 y-o sister today. They engage on levels far beyond their years ,Deo Gratia.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 25, 2011 - 9:14PM #97
Stardove

Don't Let Heat Exhaustion Affect Your Wallet During the Heat Wave

Dallas-Fort Worth has had 23 days of over 100 degreesl.  Hot in Texas!

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 25, 2011 - 11:29PM #98
jane2

Jul 25, 2011 -- 9:14PM, Stardove wrote:

Don't Let Heat Exhaustion Affect Your Wallet During the Heat Wave

Dallas-Fort Worth has had 23 days of over 100 degreesl.  Hot in Texas!

So it goes, but I was so lifted talking to my so talented grandkids to today. They think beyond the beyond. They and my son's children give me such joy.

Slight dip in temps here and more heat ont the way in Atlanta.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 01, 2011 - 11:24PM #99
rangerken

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 10 of 10  •  Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing