Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4
Switch to Forum Live View Christine Lagarde - New IMF Chief
3 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2011 - 2:25AM #31
CharikIeia

Jul 1, 2011 -- 7:06PM, rocketjsquirell wrote:

I do not buy into your argument that having more women in banking would help regulate bank behavior.

What is it you do not "buy into", exactly? The psychology? The relation between female management representation and governance style and organisation behavior? As far as I know, there is quite solid scientific evidence for all this.

That does not seem to have occurred here in the USA where the experience of ridiculous risk taking was shared by both male and female bankers.

So you do have investment banks with 20% female managers in the USA?

Can you show me, please? That's very interesting!

I suggest we consider better banking regulations and stricter enforcement of standards. A return to smaller banking institutions would probably be beneficial as well.

Yes, sure. Obama has this nice list of which he did not implemement anything yet. Instead, he lets his Geithner dog complain about Europe not flooding the world with Euro bills...

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2011 - 3:10AM #32
Ebon

Jul 2, 2011 -- 2:25AM, CharikIeia wrote:

The psychology? The relation between female management representation and governance style and organisation behavior? As far as I know, there is quite solid scientific evidence for all this.

I have to back up Chari on this one. While gender psychology evidence tends to suggest rather than prove, it tends to suggest that management by men tends to seek immediate returns while female management tends to seek medium-to-long term returns. Now, that's very, very generalised and there are any number of exceptions but it's generally the case. In the same general terms, men and women tend to have different management styles. I'm going to use slang here because it's easier to understand but men tend toward the drill sergeant style while women tend toward the den mother style (again, there are plenty of exceptions, we're talking generalities here). The different genders are even prone to different faults in their management style (men are prone to being unappreciative, women are prone to "busywork").

Now, gender psychology isn't my area so Chari (and KWinters, when she's around) might well be better read than I am in this area.

Gender bean counting is a very promising step towards its cure, as I outlined.

I emphasise the "A" so that no-one gets the impression that this is all that needs doing.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2011 - 5:34AM #33
CharikIeia

Hi Ebon, thanks for the support!

I need it, in a way... I am far from an expert in that area myself (I'm a statistician / mathematical modeller), so I guess your credentials are generally better than mine. But colleagues of mine who work in organisational sociology just one floor further down in our building do know, and based on our joint work, I have full trust in what they tell me on this topic.

The same for Kristi / KWinters, she's much more knowledgeable than I am - she's a political sociologist in the UK, isn't she?

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2011 - 7:35AM #34
Ebon

Jul 2, 2011 -- 5:34AM, CharikIeia wrote:

The same for Kristi / KWinters, she's much more knowledgeable than I am - she's a political sociologist in the UK, isn't she?

IIRC, that's the right field but she's back in the States right now. We chat on FB every so often and this stuff comes up occasionally.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 09, 2011 - 8:45PM #35
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook