Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 2 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Where Were You on September 11, 2001?
6 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2011 - 3:19PM #11
mecdukebec

Jun 28, 2011 -- 3:10PM, simonzur wrote:

Jun 28, 2011 -- 2:30PM, mecdukebec wrote:

Piety and jingoism had an unfortunate marriage in the years after 9.11.  I was CONUS on that day:  I've spent a lot of time OCONUS, ever since. 

I am unfamiliar with the terms CONUS AND OCONUS, please clarify. 

Also, what of the piety and desire to spread the Muslim faith through violence represented by the actions of those who committed and support the 9/11 attacks?

My statement about piety married to jingoism was not a univocal statement.   That's why the Manicheanism of the Neo-Cons was so ironic. 

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2011 - 3:23PM #12
Christianlib

Simon,

"CONUS" is the term used in US military orders for "Continental United States."  Likewise, "OCONUS" is used for "Outside Continental United States."  Another term you should probably learn, often used in Orders, is, DROS.    That means, "Date of Return from Over Seas," and is one of the most precious of all terms to servicemen and women sent to foreign wars.

Of course, there is no surprise that you have never run into these terms.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2011 - 4:44PM #13
Cesmom

Pulling in to the parking lot at work when I heard on the radio about the first plane.  They pulled a tv out of one of our conference rooms and set it up in the break area.  Saw the second plane hit.  No one was thinking about anything work related that day.

Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2011 - 5:36PM #14
CharikIeia

Shopping in the supermarket, in my little Dutch town.

An old lady told about what she'd seen in the news.

After I got home, I turned on the TV...

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2011 - 5:47PM #15
Erey

I was at my son's classroom. He was in Kindergarten at the time and i would spend one morning a week helping out the teacher.  It was around 9ish when it happened. 

Nobody really knew what to think at first.  Latter I went into work and we watched coverage on our computers.  Then we went home early, it was not a day for work.

I did not really see God involved at the time but latter I saw waht some might consider blessings from it.  Mostly, I just had faith in humanity around that event.  Faith in people banding together, faith in the ability to overcome and rise up. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2011 - 8:34PM #16
amcolph

I was teaching a class in Statistical Process Control to a group of quality control technicians.  By chance they were all Muslims, refugees from the Balkans.  I let them go early, as it seemed to me they would be better off at home until we knew more about what was going to happen.

This post contains no advertisements or solicitations.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2011 - 9:09PM #17
rangerken

I was teaching a chemistry class in Newburyport, Massachusetts.

You know, this is an event that those of us who were old enough to comprehend it will always remember in terms of where we were and what we were doing. I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when Martin Luther King was killed and when President Kennedy was killed. My parents could say the same about Pearl Harbor.

I remember my mixed feelings vey well while I did my best to keep my students settled. First I felt a furious rage and intenally lamented the fact that I was retired from the army and could not be one of those going after whoever had done this to us (we didn't know yet). Second, I felt a twinge of fear because if we were going to be at war I knew my son and daughter would be in it. I called my wife and she felt the same way, knowing our children would do as everyone in both our families have always done in time of war, they would serve. And as it tuned out our son did join and did go to war. The only reason our daughter did not was because college athletic injuries prevented her from passing the physical exam...but she tried.

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2011 - 9:10PM #18
Bodean

Headed to the airport to fly to NC for an interview .... needless to say .. the flight was cancelled.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2011 - 7:50PM #19
Father_Oblivion

Jun 28, 2011 -- 1:50PM, JanaDale wrote:

The 10th Anniversary of 9/11 is coming up in a few months. Where were you on 9/11/01 and what were you doing? Has your faith helped you get through this difficult time in American history?

I was in San Francisco, and my faith helped me to understand the extreme amount of oppression that the government is setting itself up to commit on the American public, thanks to the collusion of the Republican and Democratic political parties, but few see how the agenda is being carried out right under their noses. 

The important thing to remember about American history is that it is fictional, a charcoal-sketched simplicity for the children or the easily bored. For the most part it is uninspected, unimagined, unthought, a representative of the thing and not the thing itself. It is a fine fiction...
Neil Gaiman
'American Gods'

‎"Ignorance of ignorance, then, is that self-satisfied state of unawareness in which man, knowing nothing outside the limited area of his physical senses, bumptiously declares there is nothing more to know! He who knows no life save the physical is merely ignorant; but he who declares physical life to be all-important and elevates it to the position of supreme reality--such a one is ignorant of his own ignorance."
- Manly Palmer Hall

“The Christian god can easily be pictured as virtually the same god as the many ancient gods of past civilizations. The Christian god is a three headed monster cruel vengeful and capricious. If one wishes to know more of this raging three headed beast like god one only needs to look at the caliber of people who say they serve him. They are always of two classes fools and hypocrites. ”
― Thomas Jefferson
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2011 - 10:44AM #20
Jstanl

I too was in Colorado, in a camper in the mountains, and my wife and I were up early.  (We were two hours behind NYC.)  We actually had a cable connection to our TV and were watching the speculation about an airplane "accidentally" crashing into the WTC.  Then we saw the second plane hit the second tower and knew this was no accident. 

Because these planes were quickly being reported as having been hijacked we knew pretty quickly that this was an intentional attack.

It never occurred to me that religion/faith and/or politics had anything to do with the event.  Assessing the situation in terms of what you think of your political opponents erroneous thinking is not likely anything that occurred to anyone in the first few hours.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook