Page 4 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Where Were You on September 11, 2001?
3 years ago  ::  Sep 08, 2011 - 2:25AM #31
shirley1224

Sept. 11, 2001 began as a beautiful morning in the midwest & I loved my new job, working for a major cellular communications company. My customer base was primarily New York City. I remmber I had just settled at my desk when  the announcement came that the twin towers were struck by a plane. My initial thought was complete pilot error only to realize minutes later how very wrong I was. Within minutes the lines were jammed with frantic customers from both inside as well as outside the twin towers... no one could apparently get through to make their calls or were calling for help. I remember how I along with my co-workers tried to stay calm & re-assure them everything would be alright, but deep inside I prayed, hoping it would be.

I remember me calling cell phones for 2 days trying to reach loved ones on the 84th floor, 101st floor, etc. because a mother, father, brother, supervisor & many others asked me to please keep trying to reach them & not givie up. And I remember going & crying myself to sleep because I failed... I did not reach them. But I will never forget telling the firemen of NYC how much I loved them & how, even in the midwest, they touched my very soul as did the ones that we loved & lost on that day, Sept. 11, 2001

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 08, 2011 - 8:48AM #32
Frack34

I remember like it was yesterday where I was on 9-11-01.  I was at work at the USPS.  When I heard the first plane hit, and then the second one.  Then when then I heard about the plane in PA, thats when I went and picked up my children at school. We went to a friends house, and were glued to the TV for 2 days.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 08, 2011 - 10:20AM #33
CharikIeia

I know I am missing a handful of threads, but it may be worth an attempt - just to reduce redundancy, check out the threads we had on this before:

Last year's thread from over here: community.beliefnet.com/go/thread/view/4...
This one is also a great memory to AgnosticSpirit!

Last year's thread from 'Discuss Christianity': community.beliefnet.com/go/thread/view/5...

Two years ago thread from the Faith Club: community.beliefnet.com/the_faith_club/g...

For repeat posters, this may be the time to check how your perception of events changed over the years...

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 08, 2011 - 12:07PM #34
costrel

Jun 28, 2011 -- 1:50PM, JanaDale wrote:

The 10th Anniversary of 9/11 is coming up in a few months. Where were you on 9/11/01 and what were you doing? Has your faith helped you get through this difficult time in American history?

I was in the middle of teaching a British Literature class on Beowulf when the office informed all classroom teachers to turn on their TVs and discontinue classroom instruction. I recall that the first tower had already been hit by the time we were told to turn on our TVs. 

Now to answer your second question about the role of faith in that difficult time: I had only been an atheist for a few months, but I was still attending church on Sundays because even though I no longer believed in God, I still loved to sing, I still loved spending time with people, I still loved the potlucks and the conversation after the service, and I still had a need to ritualistically keep Sunday holy. I remember that after work on the evening of September 11th, I sat on the porch re-reading portions of the Dalai Lama's book Ethics for the New Millennium. I realized that if there would be a war and a draft I would be a conscientious objector because of my pacifism, and I wondered if an atheist even could be considered a conscientious objector, or if a person needed to be a theist in order to be considered a conscientious objector. All I knew for certain was that I thought that war or any other kind of military action would be the wrong decision, and that if the U.S. did go to war, that we would no doubt be doing exactly what the terrorists wanted and expected us as a nation to do. 

When I started hearing American politicians, including the President, use Christian-based religious rhetoric in response to the terrorist attacks, I was sickened and disgusted. I realized that Americans were using (or abusing) the Christian religion in nearly the same way as the Muslim terrorists were using (or abusing) the Islamic religion. I knew that I had to stop attending church, as I was a hypocrite for continuing to associate myself with a religion that I no longer believed in. Furthermore, I did not want to associate with a religion that was being used (or abused) for nationalistic and patriotic and ideological purposes in order to get revenge upon Muslim terrorists -- especially since I no longer believed in the doctrines, creeds, catechisms, and ethics of the Christian religion. I did end up attending church again a couple of times during the following year, but I have never regularly attended any church services on a weekly or daily basis as was my practice, even after becoming an atheist, before September 11, 2001. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 08, 2011 - 12:26PM #35
Erey

Sep 8, 2011 -- 12:07PM, costrel wrote:

The 10th Anniversary of 9/11 is coming up in a few months. Where were you on 9/11/01 and what were you doing? Has your faith helped you get through this difficult time in American history?

I was in the middle of teaching a British Literature class on Beowulf when the office informed all classroom teachers to turn on their TVs and discontinue classroom instruction. I recall that the first tower had already been hit by the time we were told to turn on our TVs. 

Now to answer your second question about the role of faith in that difficult time: I had only been an atheist for a few months, but I was still attending church on Sundays because even though I no longer believed in God, I still loved to sing, I still loved spending time with people, I still loved the potlucks and the conversation after the service, and I still had a need to ritualistically keep Sunday holy. I remember that after work on the evening of September 11th, I sat on the porch re-reading portions of the Dalai Lama's book Ethics for the New Millennium. I realized that if there would be a war and a draft I would be a conscientious objector because of my pacifism, and I wondered if an atheist even could be considered a conscientious objector, or if a person needed to be a theist in order to be considered a conscientious objector. All I knew for certain was that I thought that war or any other kind of military action would be the wrong decision, and that if the U.S. did go to war, that we would no doubt be doing exactly what the terrorists wanted and expected us as a nation to do. 

When I started hearing American politicians, including the President, use Christian-based religious rhetoric in response to the terrorist attacks, I was sickened and disgusted. I realized that Americans were using (or abusing) the Christian religion in nearly the same way as the Muslim terrorists were using (or abusing) the Islamic religion. I knew that I had to stop attending church, as I was a hypocrite for continuing to associate myself with a religion that I no longer believed in. Furthermore, I did not want to associate with a religion that was being used (or abused) for nationalistic and patriotic and ideological purposes in order to get revenge upon Muslim terrorists -- especially since I no longer believed in the doctrines, creeds, catechisms, and ethics of the Christian religion. I did end up attending church again a couple of times during the following year, but I have never regularly attended any church services on a weekly or daily basis as was my practice, even after becoming an atheist, before September 11, 2001. 

REally, Really?  God Bless America is the same religious rehtoric as what the muslim terrorists used?  Really?

Moderated by Girlchristian on Sep 08, 2011 - 12:28PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 08, 2011 - 12:56PM #36
Roodog

I was on my way to work when I heard that the first jet hit the WTC, a sheriff's deputy told me that the second jet hit the other building when I got to work. We followed the attack on radio.

Almost all the City agencies shut down that day, almost. My agency was one of the few that stayed on duty the whole day.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 08, 2011 - 1:19PM #37
rangerken

I think this deserves a bump given the looming anniversary.

Jun 28, 2011 -- 9:09PM, rangerken wrote:

I was teaching a chemistry class in Newburyport, Massachusetts.

You know, this is an event that those of us who were old enough to comprehend it will always remember in terms of where we were and what we were doing. I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when Martin Luther King was killed and when President Kennedy was killed. My parents could say the same about Pearl Harbor.

I remember my mixed feelings vey well while I did my best to keep my students settled. First I felt a furious rage and intenally lamented the fact that I was retired from the army and could not be one of those going after whoever had done this to us (we didn't know yet). Second, I felt a twinge of fear because if we were going to be at war I knew my son and daughter would be in it. I called my wife and she felt the same way, knowing our children would do as everyone in both our families have always done in time of war, they would serve. And as it tuned out our son did join and did go to war. The only reason our daughter did not was because college athletic injuries prevented her from passing the physical exam...but she tried.

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 08, 2011 - 2:54PM #38
costrel

Sep 8, 2011 -- 12:26PM, Erey wrote:

REally, Really?  God Bless America is the same religious rehtoric as what the muslim terrorists used?  Really?

Yes, to me, it is the same. That's what I thought then, when I was still getting used to the idea that I would not be living a contemplative life until death separated from the world in a monastery, and that's what I still think after all these years. (And as you probably know, "God Bless America" was not the only example of Christian religious rhetoric used at that time either.) I don't expect anyone to agree with me on this, nor am I interested in discussing this further. That would be hi-jacking this thread, and I have no intention of doing that. I was merely responding to the opening post's two questions with my own recollections of 9/11 and the first few days and weeks following that horrid day. -- And if you have not yet read the Dalai Lama's book Ethics for the New Millennium, then I urge you to please get a copy of it and read it. You might be able to undersand my perspective a little bit better if you do. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 08, 2011 - 3:03PM #39
Erey

well costrel if you don't want to talk about it I will respect that,   I can't respect your moral equivalency.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 08, 2011 - 6:26PM #40
costrel

Sep 8, 2011 -- 3:03PM, Erey wrote:

well costrel if you don't want to talk about it I will respect that,   I can't respect your moral equivalency.

I didn't believe that the Almighty took sides, and I saw no reason why He should particarly favor the American Christians who were so eager to go to war out of revenge. And after separating myself from the world for some time, I concluded that God more than likely had no interest in interfering or intervening or taking sides in the affairs and the goings on of the fallen material world. You can't respect what you perceive to be my "moral equivalency," but I cannot respect those who would think that God would take sides and would favor and bless one nation or one government or one political cause or one civilization (i.e., the Americans, Al-Qaeda, the secular West, etc.) over another. That is essentially what the rhetoric on both sides was all about: who was God going to support and bless -- Al-Qaeda or the U.S.? Each side apparently thought that God was on its side. Yes, I'm sure that my ideas go against much of what one can find in the Hebrew Scriptures, the New Testament, and the Koran, but that's just how I saw things then and how I still see things now. And those are my final thoughts concerning this matter. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook