Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Where Were You on September 11, 2001?
3 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2011 - 1:50PM #1
JanaDale
The 10th Anniversary of 9/11 is coming up in a few months. Where were you on 9/11/01 and what were you doing? Has your faith helped you get through this difficult time in American history?
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2011 - 1:53PM #2
simonzur

I was in NJ, about 60 miles away from NYC.

I am not sure what you mean by your question about faith helping to get throught this difficult time in American history.  Please clarify.

"The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp."~ The Revelation
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2011 - 1:55PM #3
aarroottoonn

Jun 28, 2011 -- 1:50PM, JanaDale wrote:

The 10th Anniversary of 9/11 is coming up in a few months. Where were you on 9/11/01 and what were you doing? Has your faith helped you get through this difficult time in American history?

I was working at HP and we watched on our computers the CNN feed as the towers collapsed. As I live in CO my faith did not come into play (it may have if it was closer to home, as the Columbine massacre was and did) but my anger at being attacked in such a cowardly fashion was only matched by the disgust I felt toward Americans who felt we deserved it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2011 - 2:13PM #4
Jasr

I was at work. I live in New England but my brother lived on Chambers Street...three blocks away...at the time, and my Dad was working in Chelsea. I did not hear from either of them until the evening so it was a pretty tense day.

My faith did not really enter into it. God had nothing to do with 9-11.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2011 - 2:26PM #5
geologist

I was at home getting ready to go to work.  I happened to turn on the TV, which I seldom do in the morning, and immediately saw the image of smoke billowing out of the first tower followed shortly by the image of the plane crashing into the second tower. 

My faith is a source of strength everyday.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2011 - 2:30PM #6
mecdukebec

Piety and jingoism had an unfortunate marriage in the years after 9.11.  I was CONUS on that day:  I've spent a lot of time OCONUS, ever since. 

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2011 - 3:00PM #7
TENAC

Had just turned on Peter Jennings as Tower 1 was billowing smoke and watched as the plane hit Tower 2. 

It was so surreal because I was watching as Jennings sat there and the plane struck the second building.  He didnt realize what had just happened and I realized this was more than a gas leak explosion in Tower 1.

I live relatively close to our airport so I do remember there were no aircraft in the sky all afternoon.

Any man can count the seeds in an apple....
.......but only God can count the apples in the seeds.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2011 - 3:10PM #8
simonzur

Jun 28, 2011 -- 2:30PM, mecdukebec wrote:

Piety and jingoism had an unfortunate marriage in the years after 9.11.  I was CONUS on that day:  I've spent a lot of time OCONUS, ever since. 

I am unfamiliar with the terms CONUS AND OCONUS, please clarify. 

Also, what of the piety and desire to spread the Muslim faith through violence represented by the actions of those who committed and support the 9/11 attacks?

"The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp."~ The Revelation
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2011 - 3:16PM #9
Girlchristian

I was on my way to work. I worked in staffing at the time and we spent most of the day listening to NPR and watching the TV in between interviews and client meetings.

Like GEO, my faith is a source of strength everyday, but I didn't have faith at the time of the attacks. It came years later.  

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2011 - 3:17PM #10
MMarcoe

Jun 28, 2011 -- 1:50PM, JanaDale wrote:

I was sleeping. I had the day off, so I watched tv for 15 hours straight.

My faith was unnecessary in this difficult time. But my cynicism about American foreign policy put the whole thing in perspective for me.

There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.

God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook