Page 1 of 68  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 68 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Gaza bound flotilla set to leave Greece
3 years ago  ::  Jun 26, 2011 - 3:43PM #1
SherriMunnerlyn

Gaza-bound flotilla set to leave Greece

"Hundreds of activists are preparing to board aid ships bound for Gaza this week in defiance of an Israeli blockade and UN warnings and in spite of the violent end to an operation last year which left nine dead. 

About 350 pro-Palestinian supporters hailing from 22 countries are set to join the "Freedom Flotilla" leaving from Greek ports.

Bestselling Swedish crime writer Henning Mankell and many journalists are among those taking part in the action seeking to break a five-year long Israeli naval blockade."

Israel said on Thursday it was determined to stop the flotilla, calling the protest a "provocation" and saying the country had a right to self defence.

Israel imposed a blockade on Gaza in 2006 after militants snatched Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit. A ban on civilian goods and foodstuffs was eased last year but many restrictions remain in place.

Boats from Greece, France, Italy and Spain are among those taking part in the flotilla.

The boats will leave from various Greek ports or meet off the coast, said Vaguelis Pissias from the country's "A boat for Gaza" group, without specifying a departure date.

Greek is being used as a departure point due to its geographic position and its "historical, cultural relations with Arab countries," he said.

Two cargo boats will carry medicines, a fully-equipped ambulance car and cement.

"What happened last year caused us grave concern ... but we are determined to go to Gaza, our aim is not simply to break the embargo but to show Israelis and people in the region that they have the right to live more harmoniously," said Pissias."

www.france24.com/en/20110626-gaza-bound-...

It is not yet clear how many ships will be a part of the humanitarian flotilla to Gaza, or the departure date, but it appears they will set sail towards Gaza some time this week and the ships will number between 10 and 20, and the activists will number in the hundreds.

Their goal, to break through an illegal Israeli blockade, to challenge an illegal siege that on a daily basis hurts and kills Palestinians in Gaza, almost 1.7 million Palestinians in Gaza, under Israeli siege and occupation for years now. 

Sherri

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 26, 2011 - 5:46PM #2
rocketjsquirell

The purpose of the flotilla is what exactly? Since supplies flow daily into the Gaza strip from both Israel and Egypt what is the value of placing people and property in danger? Since there is no shortage of goods in Gaza, how can the gun runners (excuse me the humanitarians) call their ships "humanitarian flotillas"?

Any way if you need to know why there is a blockade watch this. 

The Reasoning Behind the Maritime Blockade on Gaza

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsLS4uqH_70&feat...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 27, 2011 - 8:08AM #3
rocketjsquirell

and now a bit about the real problem in Gaza - Hint! It is not lack of humanitarian aid.

'Problem in Gaza is arms buildup not humanitarian crisis'

. . .

Gaza's real problem is not a humanitarian crisis but the fact that Hamas continues to build weapons arsenals there, Defense Minister Ehud Barak said on Monday during a meeting with his Independence faction.

Commenting on a flotilla scheduled to set sail for Gaza in the coming days, Barak called the flotilla an "unnecessary provocation," and said "there is no humanitarian crisis in Gaza."

"The  real problem in Gaza is that [Hamas] continues to hold [captured IDF  soldier] Gilad Schalit and to build up weapons arsenals," he said.

Emphasizing that there was no problem in getting humanitarian supplies to the Strip, the defense minister said "We asked the organizers to stop the provocation.

"I ordered the IDF to block the ships," he said. "If there is a conflict or damage, it will be the responsibility of the flotilla organizers."

full article:

www.jpost.com/DiplomacyAndPolitics/Artic...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 27, 2011 - 9:58AM #4
browbeaten

Jun 27, 2011 -- 8:08AM, rocketjsquirell wrote:

and now a bit about the real problem in Gaza - Hint! It is not lack of humanitarian aid.

'Problem in Gaza is arms buildup not humanitarian crisis'

. . .

Gaza's real problem is not a humanitarian crisis but the fact that Hamas continues to build weapons arsenals there, Defense Minister Ehud Barak said on Monday during a meeting with his Independence faction.

Commenting on a flotilla scheduled to set sail for Gaza in the coming days, Barak called the flotilla an "unnecessary provocation," and said "there is no humanitarian crisis in Gaza."

"The  real problem in Gaza is that [Hamas] continues to hold [captured IDF  soldier] Gilad Schalit and to build up weapons arsenals," he said.

Emphasizing that there was no problem in getting humanitarian supplies to the Strip, the defense minister said "We asked the organizers to stop the provocation.

"I ordered the IDF to block the ships," he said. "If there is a conflict or damage, it will be the responsibility of the flotilla organizers."

full article:

www.jpost.com/DiplomacyAndPolitics/Artic...

Warn them and if they don't turn back, sink them.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 27, 2011 - 10:11AM #5
habesor

Browbeaten,

I really disagree with you. I think that the boats should be stopped, taken to Ashdod, have their cargoes unloaded and inspected and then transported to Gaza. I would encourage each participant to accompany the cargo to Gaza, with the request that each of them ask any Hamas official they meet to act according to the Geneva Convention in their treatment of Gilad Shalit. If they refuse this request, as some probably will, they should be allowed to go to Gaza anyway. It should be made clear that any time they present themselves at any crossing into Israel they will be allowed to transit Israel on their way back to their countries of origin.

Habesor 

Habesor
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 27, 2011 - 10:36AM #6
rocketjsquirell

Habesor

I mostly agree with you, however, I think the participants should be required to go to Gaza. When they want to leave Gaza they should be encouraged to leave via the Egyptian route so that they will be able to compare the conditions in Gaza with the worse conditions in Egypt.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 27, 2011 - 12:47PM #7
LeahOne

I think Rocket's got a point....

Speaking of 'the plight of the Palestinians' - I wonder hwo many of those currently wringing their hands understand that the establishment of a Pal state woudl mean the 'refugees' have a State to go to, so no further funding for the camps, etc should be required?

After all, that was the 'rationale' behing expelling all those Jewish Arabs - that now there was Israel and they should clear out of wherever else they'd lived for the past couple of milennia!  The UN didn't feel any need to provide aid for those 'refugees' - not at all.

Why should the Palestinians be treated with any less respect than the Jewish Arabs were?  That would be truly criminal!

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 27, 2011 - 2:02PM #8
SherriMunnerlyn
Former US Ambassador to Ecuador, Samuel Hart, has announced he is joining the flotilla to Gaza. This is reported on israelnationalnews website. In the meantime, an Israeli organization has filed complaints with Greece trying to prevent some of the flotilla ships from leaving Greece ports. There is extensive protest actiity occurring in Athens now, one wonders if the Arab Spring has come to Greece, strikes are sceduled for I think tomorrow and Wednsday. Are we seeing the begnning of a Greek Revolution? There is a Democracy Now interview today, with flotilla members and protestors camped out in the Square across from the Greek Parliament in Athens. It can be viewed on Democracy Now website or Mondoweiss. Sherri
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 27, 2011 - 2:07PM #9
rocketjsquirell

Sherri

In which case Former US Ambassador to Ecuador, Samuel Hart, will be breaking U.S. law and will be subject to arrest and prosecution should he return to the U.S.A.  Since I know you are a law and order type, I am sure that you look forward to his prosecution to the fullest extent of the law.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 27, 2011 - 2:09PM #10
SherriMunnerlyn
For anyone interested in reading and seeing more of what is being called the Second Greek Revolution, here is a link to livestreaming. www.zerohedge.com/article/livestreaming-...
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 68  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 68 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook