Page 68 of 68  •  Prev 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 68
Switch to Forum Live View Gaza bound flotilla set to leave Greece
3 years ago  ::  Jul 28, 2011 - 9:39PM #671
Mlyons619

If you are going to engage in repeating yourself with nothing new, I think I'm just gonna take to cutting and pasting from earlier posts instead of wasting my time with new arguments.

Moderated by rangerken on Jul 28, 2011 - 10:48PM
"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 29, 2011 - 8:44AM #672
SherriMunnerlyn

Mlyons619, I expect the Flotillas bore you the same way, saving LIFE of those in Gaza, what the seek, must be really boring to keep reading about. But those Flotillas, they are never going to stop until Israel stops taking LIFE in Gaza. All life has not value. Sherri

Moderated by Beliefnet_community on Jul 29, 2011 - 10:10AM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 29, 2011 - 10:19AM #673
LeahOne

Yes, May's 'four stages' analysis of personality facets underlies most of the 'personality testing' systems now in use.    I'm not sure he should really be classed as an 'existentialist' though.....  Incidentally, his '4 stages' bear a strong resemblance ot the '4 species' analysis of the Jewish community (see '4 sons' in Passover Seder for another version)  In fact, if May were from a Jewish background, that's exactly what I'd suppose was an inspiration for his exposition.  But then he's a big follower of Otto Rank, so that may be the connection.

I'm lazy:  I'd have to do way more reading in philosophy than I'd ever want to, to track that back.....but I've got a college friend who went into philosophy and I could ask her about that.

In a way, May is a 'micro' analyst, while Hoffer is a 'macro' analyst.  And then there's another great book also from the '50's - Oscar Lewis' 'The Culture of Poverty':  that explains why some people who don't have money really aren't 'poor'. 

Hoping the merits of such great books will prompt some mercy from the mods for the digression here.....  I suppose I could throw in a shameless 'appeal to authority' by insisting we should include 'The Art of War' by Sun-Tzu   as well?  : ))

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 29, 2011 - 1:41PM #674
rangerken

Jul 29, 2011 -- 10:19AM, LeahOne wrote:

Yes, May's 'four stages' analysis of personality facets underlies most of the 'personality testing' systems now in use.    I'm not sure he should really be classed as an 'existentialist' though.....  Incidentally, his '4 stages' bear a strong resemblance ot the '4 species' analysis of the Jewish community (see '4 sons' in Passover Seder for another version)  In fact, if May were from a Jewish background, that's exactly what I'd suppose was an inspiration for his exposition.  But then he's a big follower of Otto Rank, so that may be the connection.

I'm lazy:  I'd have to do way more reading in philosophy than I'd ever want to, to track that back.....but I've got a college friend who went into philosophy and I could ask her about that.

In a way, May is a 'micro' analyst, while Hoffer is a 'macro' analyst.  And then there's another great book also from the '50's - Oscar Lewis' 'The Culture of Poverty':  that explains why some people who don't have money really aren't 'poor'. 

Hoping the merits of such great books will prompt some mercy from the mods for the digression here.....  I suppose I could throw in a shameless 'appeal to authority' by insisting we should include 'The Art of War' by Sun-Tzu   as well?  : ))

Relate this...somehow...to the Gaza Flotilla and it can stay up. Otherwise, sorry, but it will have to go as being way off topic.

Rangerken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 29, 2011 - 3:30PM #675
LeahOne

OK, I'll try : ))  

The description of 'True Believers' given by Hoffer goes far to explain the mindset of people unwaveringly supporting 'the party line' provided by the Floptilla organizers.

Theanalysis of individual personalities from May's book provides further insight into the 4 basic 'approaches to life' which any individual runs on at any given moment (IE, it also explains people's 'apathy').

Oscar Lewis teaches us that 'poverty' is as much a state of MIND as of money - and I believe that can be useful in seeking to understand what people inside Gaza might be thinking, as well as understanding whole populations which have never historically felt empowered.

And Sun-Tzu?  He speaks to the 'war of words' being waged against Israel - purportedly on behalf of the people of Gaza! - the presentation of ALL Gazan misery as being not merely the 'fault' of Israel, but of 'deliberate' Israeli desire to cause harm inside Gaza.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 29, 2011 - 6:57PM #676
rangerken

Jul 29, 2011 -- 3:30PM, LeahOne wrote:

OK, I'll try : ))  

The description of 'True Believers' given by Hoffer goes far to explain the mindset of people unwaveringly supporting 'the party line' provided by the Floptilla organizers.

Theanalysis of individual personalities from May's book provides further insight into the 4 basic 'approaches to life' which any individual runs on at any given moment (IE, it also explains people's 'apathy').

Oscar Lewis teaches us that 'poverty' is as much a state of MIND as of money - and I believe that can be useful in seeking to understand what people inside Gaza might be thinking, as well as understanding whole populations which have never historically felt empowered.

And Sun-Tzu?  He speaks to the 'war of words' being waged against Israel - purportedly on behalf of the people of Gaza! - the presentation of ALL Gazan misery as being not merely the 'fault' of Israel, but of 'deliberate' Israeli desire to cause harm inside Gaza.

I put what I think is the key comment that relates this to the Flotilla issue into bold italics. and I agree with it.

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 29, 2011 - 7:29PM #677
Mlyons619

LeahOne said:  "...The description of 'True Believers' given by Hoffer goes far to explain the mindset of people unwaveringly supporting 'the party line' provided by the Floptilla organizers..."

A key example being:

"..., I expect the Flotillas bore you the same way, saving LIFE of those in Gaza, what the seek, must be really boring to keep reading about. But those Flotillas, they are never going to stop until Israel stops taking LIFE in Gaza. All life has not value..."

I say LeahOne just hit one straight out of the ball bark...

"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 68 of 68  •  Prev 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 68

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook