Post Reply
Page 3 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View "Criminals and Anarchists" in Canada?
3 years ago  ::  Jun 20, 2011 - 5:39PM #21
mountain_man
Posts: 38,062

Jun 20, 2011 -- 5:22PM, Roodog wrote:

What Howard based his views on was the the various dark ages that followed the fall of the dominant civilization wherein  technical and cultural developments were forgotten.


Yes, he based is OPINION on the few rough periods between the good times. I don't.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 20, 2011 - 8:40PM #22
TemplarS
Posts: 6,249

There are going to be, in any society, a certain number of people who are prone to acting like barbarians.


How society chooses to deal with these people is important.  People who gleefully smash windows, burn cars,  and  loot stores are the same sort who,  if suitably manipulated and directed by those in power, will mindlessly herd people into gas chambers.


 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2011 - 1:13AM #23
Roodog
Posts: 10,168

Jun 20, 2011 -- 5:39PM, mountain_man wrote:


Jun 20, 2011 -- 5:22PM, Roodog wrote:

What Howard based his views on was the the various dark ages that followed the fall of the dominant civilization wherein  technical and cultural developments were forgotten.


Yes, he based is OPINION on the few rough periods between the good times. I don't.





MM


Howard actually admired and preferred barbarism as opposed to civilization which he considered to be decadent.


 I have grown to appreciate the arts and letters associated with civilization.


However I do have a dark view of humanity in which if humanity is left to itself, it will destroy itself and all other life with it. It is even truer now than in Howard's time.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 21, 2011 - 10:25PM #24
mountain_man
Posts: 38,062

Jun 21, 2011 -- 1:13AM, Roodog wrote:

Howard actually admired and preferred barbarism as opposed to civilization which he considered to be decadent.


That just proves an insurmountable bias on his part.


I have grown to appreciate the arts and letters associated with civilization.


However I do have a dark view of humanity in which if humanity is left to itself, it will destroy itself and all other life with it. It is even truer now than in Howard's time.


Those seeking power will destroy. Those seeking to feed their families - the vast majority of humanity - just wants to be left alone. What you, and Howard, say has never been true. It's just looking at humanity through black glasses and blinders. You see only what you want to see.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2011 - 12:15AM #25
rangerken
Posts: 15,818

I'm inclined to agree with what Mountain_man just wrote. However, my wife and I, and our kids, will be sure to maintain our firearms in good working condition, with ample ammunition, and withOUT the government knowing what we have or where it is...legal though it all is now.


Should barbarism visit, we don't plan on running and hiding.


And I'm not an admirer of Howard. I AM an admirer of Heinlein however.


Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2011 - 2:35AM #26
Roodog
Posts: 10,168

Jun 21, 2011 -- 10:25PM, mountain_man wrote:


Jun 21, 2011 -- 1:13AM, Roodog wrote:

Howard actually admired and preferred barbarism as opposed to civilization which he considered to be decadent.


That just proves an insurmountable bias on his part.


I have grown to appreciate the arts and letters associated with civilization.


However I do have a dark view of humanity in which if humanity is left to itself, it will destroy itself and all other life with it. It is even truer now than in Howard's time.


Those seeking power will destroy. Those seeking to feed their families - the vast majority of humanity - just wants to be left alone. What you, and Howard, say has never been true. It's just looking at humanity through black glasses and blinders. You see only what you want to see.





Howard died in 1936.


 Since that time the abilility of human civilization to utterly self destruct has grown geometricly with the advent of nuclear weapons. Everyone and their dog wants nukes and eventually someone will pull the trigger.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2011 - 8:42AM #27
mountain_man
Posts: 38,062

Jun 22, 2011 -- 2:35AM, Roodog wrote:

Howard died in 1936.


Irrelevant. The majority of humanity has not changed since then. Not every home wants a nuke. You are still painting all of humanity by the actions of a few. I ain't buying it.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2011 - 11:56AM #28
Do_unto_others
Posts: 7,813

Getting back to the topic of the Vancouver riot, no one has mentioned that there was not a single shot fired and that no one was killed. I attribute that to the comparative lack of guns and gun nuts in Canada.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2011 - 7:16PM #29
Roodog
Posts: 10,168

Jun 22, 2011 -- 8:42AM, mountain_man wrote:


Jun 22, 2011 -- 2:35AM, Roodog wrote:

Howard died in 1936.


Irrelevant. The majority of humanity has not changed since then. Not every home wants a nuke. You are still painting all of humanity by the actions of a few. I ain't buying it.





Humanity has thus far been unable to avoid warfare. It is only a matter of time before a nuclear exchange ensues.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2011 - 8:43PM #30
mountain_man
Posts: 38,062

Jun 22, 2011 -- 7:16PM, Roodog wrote:

Humanity has thus far been unable to avoid warfare.


Humanity has. Those in power have not.


It is only a matter of time before a nuclear exchange ensues.


Not because the majority of humanity wants it.


You're still painting with too big a brush for your argument to make any sense.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook