Post Reply
Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4
Switch to Forum Live View "Criminals and Anarchists" in Canada?
3 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2011 - 3:38AM #31
Ebon
Posts: 10,148

Jun 20, 2011 -- 8:40PM, TemplarS wrote:

How society chooses to deal with these people is important.  People who gleefully smash windows, burn cars,  and  loot stores are the same sort who,  if suitably manipulated and directed by those in power, will mindlessly herd people into gas chambers.



Not as much as you'd think. The savages tend to fall into either "low dominance" (the followers) or "high dominance" (the leaders) groups. Now, low and medium dominance will do as they're told by a perceived authority but the high dominance group won't. They will either try to achieve positions of power in such a regime or revolt against it.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2011 - 8:03PM #32
Roodog
Posts: 10,168

Jun 22, 2011 -- 8:43PM, mountain_man wrote:


Jun 22, 2011 -- 7:16PM, Roodog wrote:

Humanity has thus far been unable to avoid warfare.


Humanity has. Those in power have not.


It is only a matter of time before a nuclear exchange ensues.


Not because the majority of humanity wants it.


You're still painting with too big a brush for your argument to make any sense.





I might come a consesus if I believe that people are basicly good, which I do not.


People are more wild and savage than any wolf, snake or lion and need to be disciplined to behave like they are domesticated. We people are greedy, selfish and among the Animal Kingdom uniquely evil.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2011 - 10:44PM #33
mountain_man
Posts: 39,388

Jun 23, 2011 -- 8:03PM, Roodog wrote:

I might come a consesus if I believe that people are basicly good, which I do not.


That's because you keep painting all of society with the actions of a few. That's because that's what you choose to see, it's what you want to see, it's what you need to see. There is nothing I could say to change that.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2011 - 1:06AM #34
Roodog
Posts: 10,168

Jun 23, 2011 -- 10:44PM, mountain_man wrote:


Jun 23, 2011 -- 8:03PM, Roodog wrote:

I might come a consesus if I believe that people are basicly good, which I do not.


That's because you keep painting all of society with the actions of a few. That's because that's what you choose to see, it's what you want to see, it's what you need to see. There is nothing I could say to change that.





5000 years of recorded history tells me of Man's inhumanity to Man, not just the ruling class but the common people. Man is wolf to man.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2011 - 1:55PM #35
Roodog
Posts: 10,168

Perhaps we need to define "Barbarism" then we can maybe resolve this issue.


Originally "Barbarism" meant not being a Greek. It was then refine to the hunting gathering lifestyle of the ancient Germans or the pre literate  and largely rural Celts.


Barbarism has taken on a more perjorative connotation of human behavior which is considered uncivilized such as the Conduct of the Nazis during WW2. Ironically in the late 19th Century and the period leading up to WW1 Germany was considered the apogee of Civilization.


I would rather take my chances with the Cherusci and Teutons than with the Nazis.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2011 - 8:52PM #36
TemplarS
Posts: 6,787

I would hardly put what happened in Vancouver on the same level as what the Nazis did.


Nonetheless- I'm no psychologist, but it seems to me that there is an insidious side to such activities, and something about such people that can easily end up somewheres a lot more dangerous.  In the early stages of the Nazi regime, after all, there was Kristallnacht.  I submit that people who vandalize for no good reason, like people who harm animals for "fun",  are going to have a greater tendency to end up engaging in more sociopathic things down the road.  Not all of them- I presume many if not most just went along with the crowd, or maybe had a bit too much Molson- but the instigators, I would think, are worth worrying about.  Of such are the Brownshirts and the Tonton Macoutes constituted.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2011 - 10:03PM #37
Ebon
Posts: 10,148

Jun 25, 2011 -- 8:52PM, TemplarS wrote:

Nonetheless- I'm no psychologist, but it seems to me that there is an insidious side to such activities, and something about such people that can easily end up somewheres a lot more dangerous.  In the early stages of the Nazi regime, after all, there was Kristallnacht.  I submit that people who vandalize for no good reason, like people who harm animals for "fun",  are going to have a greater tendency to end up engaging in more sociopathic things down the road.  Not all of them- I presume many if not most just went along with the crowd, or maybe had a bit too much Molson- but the instigators, I would think, are worth worrying about.  Of such are the Brownshirts and the Tonton Macoutes constituted.



I am a psychologist (well, studying psychology anyway) and you're mostly right. It's the instigators you need to worry about, not the followers. The followers are mainly frustrated idiots but the instigators, they're usually part of the dominant 15-20% or even one of the sociopathic 1%. There are three big warning signs that constitute what's known as the "homicidal triad": Bed wetting (beyond the age where that's common), animal cruelty (beyond the formation of externalised empathy at around eight) and arson in the teens. Now, none of those are reasons to worry on their own and, individually, they might well have innocent explanations (for example, the kid who wets the bed at age six might well have bladder problems) but when the three occur in the same person, look out.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 27, 2011 - 4:37PM #38
Erey
Posts: 18,691

Most of the anarchists are kids, right?  Like up to mid 20's in age typically.


I wonder what is going on because we have other youth riots going on in DC, outside of Chicago and Philly.  Rather violent riots that are not recieving much coverage. 


Something about kill whitey in the chicaco one, almost race riots.


 


I know the riots are not related but maybe they are on some level? 


 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2011 - 8:53PM #39
rangerken
Posts: 16,406

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook