Page 2 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Creation and Bible in the School.
3 years ago  ::  Jun 06, 2011 - 4:23PM #11
Do_unto_others

Or how about a Scientologist 'prayer'? A Taoist one? A Bhuddist one? A Rastafarian one? A Christian Scientist one? Et cetera.

Nope, in Amurika, it's gottta be ALL Jesus, all the time or yer out.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2011 - 1:37AM #12
Vistronic

Jun 5, 2011 -- 6:36PM, amcolph wrote:

Jun 4, 2011 -- 11:38PM, Vistronic wrote:

"The First Amendment prohibits governments from interfering with Americans' rights to freely express their religious beliefs, and accordingly the U.S. Supreme Court has maintained that Congress may convene every day with a prayer," Perry said in a statement.

So congress can but school can not....?

Congress can do many things that school cannot.  All Congressmen are are adults who are vountarily present.

But let me ask you this:

Would a Moslem valedictorian be allowed to introduce an Islamic prayer into his or her remarks at that school?

Would that right be extended to a Mormon?  A Catholic?  A Jew?

Knowing what I do about that part of Texas, I seriously doubt it.

What do you think? 

Speculation. I do not think Islam would be tolerated, because some use it as excuse to commit terror.. at least that is how it is viewed by many... 15 years ago not as big a problem but now? Look they have equal rights but who wants someone killing them? I see the others allowed except maybe wicca. It gets a bad rap.

We all know Christianity is what we are talking about the defacto state religion.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2011 - 8:58AM #13
amcolph

Jun 7, 2011 -- 1:37AM, Vistronic wrote:

We all know Christianity is what we are talking about the defacto state religion.

What we are talking about is whether Christianity is the defacto state religion.

The answer to that is no.

We live in a secular republic and there is no state relgion, de facto or de jure.

I understand that you live in the Bible Belt where almost everyone around you seems to be an Evangelical Protestant of some kind or another, and you want to think that the whole country is the same.

It isn't, and the other religious groups which you tolerate as minorities(often with very bad grace--I know, I've lived there) are majorities elsewhere.

Evangelical Protestantism has no "edge," no special status in this country.  It does not represent a "generic" form of Christianity which should somehow be acceptable to everyone as a civil religion.

It is just one more religious group in a religiously diverse society.

This post contains no advertisements or solicitations.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2011 - 10:47AM #14
davelaw40

evidently, since they only seem to sue when people pray "in Jesus' name" -there may be a generic State religion

Dallas City Council had had sessions opened in prayer by both muslims and wiccans

I am unclear how this case was distinguished from the previous Texas case which banned student lead invocations at football games

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2011 - 11:33AM #15
amcolph

As I remember, the key elements in the football game case were that the student prayer leader (and thus, the religious content of the prayer) was selected in a student body election sponsered by the school, and that the prayer was delivered over a PA system owned by the school.

The problem is that Fundamentalists see themselves as sole legitimate heirs of whatever civil religion there may have been or they imagine there was.  Consequently, those who resist Fundamentalist prayer are not only not 'real' Christians, they're not even real Americans.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2011 - 12:10PM #16
davelaw40

and I would argue that whatever forces that want to allow religious expression in Public forums but keep it inoffensive create a defacto civil religion

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2011 - 12:12PM #17
davelaw40

Jun 7, 2011 -- 11:33AM, amcolph wrote:

As I remember, the key elements in the football game case were that the student prayer leader (and thus, the religious content of the prayer) was selected in a student body election sponsered by the school, and that the prayer was delivered over a PA system owned by the school.

that same school system now has a moment of silence at football games while two sax players play Amazing Grace

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2011 - 12:18PM #18
amcolph

Jun 7, 2011 -- 12:10PM, davelaw40 wrote:

and I would argue that whatever forces that want to allow religious expression in Public forums but keep it inoffensive create a defacto civil religion

Either that, or we can view it as allowing personal religious expression in public forums.

That may be the difference between the two cases that we are discussing.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2011 - 12:21PM #19
davelaw40

there is certainly a dynamic between State Action and the right of self expression

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2011 - 2:21PM #20
Do_unto_others

Jun 7, 2011 -- 11:33AM, amcolph wrote:

The problem is that Fundamentalists see themselves as sole legitimate heirs of whatever civil religion there may have been or they imagine there was.  Consequently, those who resist Fundamentalist prayer are not only not 'real' Christians, they're not even real Americans.

If BOTH teams pray for victory, does the losing team ipso facto worship a false god?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 7  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook