Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Are Europeans anti Muslim as well as Anti-Semitic?
3 years ago  ::  May 22, 2011 - 5:43PM #1
rocketjsquirell
This could be an isolated instance. (although there was that whole minaret business in Switzerland) Anyway, since people have begun to hijack the anti-Semitism thread to speak about anti-Muslim sentiment, I thought we should allow for a space for a discussion of whether there is or is not anti-Muslim sentiment and whether it is growing or not.

Sweden mosque prompts protests

One person arrested for violent conduct as hundreds hold rival rallies over mosque

Associated Press

. . .

Clash of civilizations? Hundreds of proponents and opponents held rallies in Sweden's  second-largest city Goteborg on Saturday to voice their opinions over  the building of a mosque there.

Heavy police presence kept the two groups apart and a spokesman for  the force said only one person had been arrested for violent behavior  toward an officer.

. . .

full article www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-40718...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 22, 2011 - 8:52PM #2
Ebon

There are areas of anti-Muslim sentiment, yes. It's not especially widespread but those who do hold such prejudices tend to hold them vehemently. Whether that sentiment is growing (beyond the bog-standard Neo-Nazis), I don't know because a lot of it is tied up with anti-immigration rhetoric but it seems to go in cycles.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 22, 2011 - 8:55PM #3
Erey

Well our protests against the ground zero mosque did not get violent.  It got shrill and stupid but not violent.

And they call US barbarians!

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 22, 2011 - 8:57PM #4
Roodog

May 22, 2011 -- 5:43PM, rocketjsquirell wrote:

This could be an isolated instance. (although there was that whole minaret business in Switzerland) Anyway, since people have begun to hijack the anti-Semitism thread to speak about anti-Muslim sentiment, I thought we should allow for a space for a discussion of whether there is or is not anti-Muslim sentiment and whether it is growing or not.

Sweden mosque prompts protests

One person arrested for violent conduct as hundreds hold rival rallies over mosque

Associated Press

. . .

Clash of civilizations? Hundreds of proponents and opponents held rallies in Sweden's second-largest city Goteborg on Saturday to voice their opinions over the building of a mosque there.

Heavy police presence kept the two groups apart and a spokesman for the force said only one person had been arrested for violent behavior toward an officer.

. . .

full article www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-40718...

I am willing to bet that these people would riot if a CHURCH was being built.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 23, 2011 - 6:58AM #5
CharikIeia

Europe traditionally knows more political violence than the USA. Whether it be wars faught, wars suffered, domestic terrorism, or violence appended to peaceful protests.

Unlike the USA, we don't have societies that are based on getting along together with people of different cultural backgrounds.

It's therefore in my view in the present case not valid reasoning to call such eruptions "anti-Muslim" or "anti-Semitic", as they are not geared towards Muslims or Jews because they are Muslims or Jews - but because they are deviant minorities. Deviation from inherited national culture is what these protesters don't want to accommodate. And then the violence-seeking elements join for having a feast**.

Call it xenophobia, call it reactionary nationalism, and add to it a penchant towards political violence. That appropriately captures its genesis and its mechanism. To relate it to Muslims or Jews means focusing on the symptoms, not the cause.

** This is a common pattern over here, whether it's about protests against  G8 summits, against enlargements of airports, against layoffs in Greece,  against the Gaza blockade, or against a Mosque or Synagogue being  built. Even pro-peace rallies are regularly seasoned with a "black bloc" of violent co-demonstrators...

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 24, 2011 - 1:33PM #6
BDboy

May 23, 2011 -- 6:58AM, CharikIeia wrote:

Europe traditionally knows more political violence than the USA. Whether it be wars faught, wars suffered, domestic terrorism, or violence appended to peaceful protests.

Unlike the USA, we don't have societies that are based on getting along together with people of different cultural backgrounds.

It's therefore in my view in the present case not valid reasoning to call such eruptions "anti-Muslim" or "anti-Semitic", as they are not geared towards Muslims or Jews because they are Muslims or Jews - but because they are deviant minorities. Deviation from inherited national culture is what these protesters don't want to accommodate. And then the violence-seeking elements join for having a feast**.

Call it xenophobia, call it reactionary nationalism, and add to it a penchant towards political violence. That appropriately captures its genesis and its mechanism. To relate it to Muslims or Jews means focusing on the symptoms, not the cause.

** This is a common pattern over here, whether it's about protests against G8 summits, against enlargements of airports, against layoffs in Greece, against the Gaza blockade, or against a Mosque or Synagogue being built. Even pro-peace rallies are regularly seasoned with a "black bloc" of violent co-demonstrators...

>>>>>>>> Well said Chari.

I have a simple observation on this issue. Most of the time the people who got beated by life (Who did not make it!) need to focus their frustration to someone other than themselves. So they used to focus on relatively successful Jewish communities and now a days it is immigrants. Many of these immigrants happens to be Muslims.

For example rebuilding of Germany (After WWll) depended quite a bit on immiggrants from Turkey but sometime these TUrkish-Germans become targets of some wingnut politicians.

Europe is going through a rough economic time (Along with many western nations), I am afraid this fanaticism will continue for a while. Jewish people will continue to be targets along with Muslims and other immigrants.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 24, 2011 - 7:25PM #7
rocketjsquirell

BD

I am sorry you have been beaten up by life.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 25, 2011 - 8:50AM #8
BDboy

May 24, 2011 -- 7:25PM, rocketjsquirell wrote:

BD

>>>>>> English please

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 25, 2011 - 3:42PM #9
rocketjsquirell

May 25, 2011 -- 8:50AM, BDboy wrote:

May 24, 2011 -- 7:25PM, rocketjsquirell wrote:

BD

>>>>>> English please

BD

Really? You don't get it?

You said:

"I have a simple observation on this issue. Most of the time the  people who got beated by life (Who did not make it!) need to focus their  frustration to someone other than themselves. So they used to focus on  relatively successful Jewish communities and now a days it is  immigrants. Many of these immigrants happens to be Muslims."

I truly am sorry that you have gotten beaten up by life.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 26, 2011 - 7:31AM #10
Dostojevsky

BDboy said:

"Europe is going through a rough economic time (Along with many  western nations), I am afraid this fanaticism will continue for a while.  Jewish people will continue to be targets along with Muslims and other  immigrants. "

I think it is the same scenario everywhere. Here in Oz we are getting many Asian and   Arab refugees and the landscape is changing. I just hope we don't end up with a Mosque in the vicinity; don't mind the Mosque but that singing or prayer sounds so intrusive. If you are born with it, it would arouse all positive feelings I am sure*

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook