Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Tax breaks for a creationist theme park?
3 years ago  ::  May 21, 2011 - 10:54AM #11
Do_unto_others

May 20, 2011 -- 6:20PM, jonny42 wrote:

May 20, 2011 -- 5:25PM, REteach wrote:

C'mon Johnny and Lope--tell the owners of the theme park that you don't want your tax dollars spent this way.  

For one thing, tax breaks are not the same as "tax dollars spent this way."  In tax breaks, no tax dollars are spent.  The government is not giving money away when it gives tax breaks.    That is a significant difference.

And I would be for them having to pay the same taxes as any other theme parks/businesses.  

If other theme parks/businesses are given tax breaks (as many private companies are given in order to entice them to come), then they should be consistent with this theme park.    If other theme parks or businesses do not get tax breaks, then neither should this theme park.

Johnny, if you really do 'think' that $43 million in tax breaks is not the equivalent of spending $43 million, well there's just no hope for you.

"Other theme parks" do not spread quasi-'religious' bullshit.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 21, 2011 - 12:13PM #12
Sacrificialgoddess

It's kind of like this.  I charge renters $1000 a month.  If I were to give my renter a rent break, then I wouldn't be bringing in $1000 a month would I?  So it would be like spending the money before I got it. 

And this is why tax breaks suck. I don't want to pay my taxes and then have some big corporation get a break because "they are bringing money into the community."  They would bring more money in if they would just pay their taxes.

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 21, 2011 - 1:45PM #13
amcolph

If other theme parks/businesses are given tax breaks (as many private companies are given in order to entice them to come), then they should be consistent with this theme park.    If other theme parks or businesses do not get tax breaks, then neither should this theme park.

If you would feel the same way about it if the theme of the park was to be, say, Scientology, or maybe Wicca, then I agree with you.

This post contains no advertisements or solicitations.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 21, 2011 - 6:53PM #14
Sacrificialgoddess

May 21, 2011 -- 1:45PM, amcolph wrote:

If you would feel the same way about it if the theme of the park was to be, say, Scientology, or maybe Wicca, then I agree with you.

I would say that a Wiccan theme park would be awesome, but then again, it would difficult to make one that was overtly Wiccan.

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 21, 2011 - 11:26PM #15
jonny42

May 21, 2011 -- 10:54AM, Do_unto_others wrote:

May 20, 2011 -- 5:25PM, REteach wrote:

C'mon Johnny and Lope--tell the owners of the theme park that you don't want your tax dollars spent this way.  

For one thing, tax breaks are not the same as "tax dollars spent this way."  In tax breaks, no tax dollars are spent.  The government is not giving money away when it gives tax breaks.    That is a significant difference.

And I would be for them having to pay the same taxes as any other theme parks/businesses.  

Johnny, if you really do 'think' that $43 million in tax breaks is not the equivalent of spending $43 million, well there's just no hope for you.

???????????

Hypothetically, I could start a multi-billion dollar business, but I haven't.   By not getting the taxes that they could have, the government just spent billions of taxpayer dollars on me.  Really?

- No, wait a minute.  Just because they didn't get the money that they could have from me… doesn't mean they spent anything on me.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 22, 2011 - 4:28PM #16
Sacrificialgoddess

Read my post, Jonny.  They still have those bills that they had when they were getting the money from you.  That money is spent.  Take a finance course.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 22, 2011 - 10:15PM #17
davelaw40

May 21, 2011 -- 6:53PM, Sacrificialgoddess wrote:

I would say that a Wiccan theme park would be awesome, but then again, it would difficult to make one that was overtly Wiccan.

I thot that was EPCOT- runs and ducks

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 22, 2011 - 10:37PM #18
Sacrificialgoddess

Well, that's not terribly wrong.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 23, 2011 - 12:04AM #19
davelaw40

It is dedicated to the magic of science or the science of magic-I forget witch

seriously what we need is a theme park in a Police Call box

Tardisland-its bigger on the inside-its really, OOD

trust us you will DALEK it-DOCTOR's orders

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 23, 2011 - 7:59AM #20
Sacrificialgoddess

No one can tell me that if a strange man in a police box showed up offering to show you all of space and time that you wouldn't take him up on it!

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook