Post Reply
Page 19 of 22  •  Prev 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next
Switch to Forum Live View IMF Chief wrongly treated
3 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2011 - 11:04AM #181
Erey
Posts: 17,351

Jun 2, 2011 -- 10:57AM, CharikIeia wrote:


Jun 2, 2011 -- 10:53AM, Erey wrote:


 And I hate to say given the immediate reaction of the French it appears to me that the society is hostile to anyone reporting on their rich and powerful.



I guess it's explainable by the hypocrite disinterest of US media in French rich & powerful, UNLESS they can report negative news... Be honest, Erey: did you know the name Strauss-Kahn before this?





Well I think this is true across the board, negative new sells.  Apart from raping a maid in his hotel room SK is just a boring, rich, socialist, french, diplomat - not very interesting to the press.  But hey assault a maid in your 3K dollar a night hotel room - now that is news!  No, I did not know his name before and why the hell should I???


 


Frankly Char, I am more concerned with women being raped by the rich and powerful than the media and the national leadership covering up or preventing information from getting to the press.  I might have thought you had similar priorities

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2011 - 11:05AM #182
rocketjsquirell
Posts: 14,471

I did. But I am sort of an idiot about these things.


The one part of this whole incident which I have trouble understanding is  that before the trip, DSK said he was worried that someone would try to set him up in a sex scandal. If he knew or suspected that he might be set up for a sex scandal (assuming he was set up) why would he have sex with anyone during the trip?  He can not be that stupid! Oh, I guess he was.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2011 - 11:09AM #183
Christianlib
Posts: 21,848

Rocket,


As you know, men too often get themselves in trouble by thinking with their small head rather than their big head.


Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2011 - 11:39AM #184
rocketjsquirell
Posts: 14,471

CL


Most of us are just generally dumb when led by our brainless parts, but DSK was colossally dumb.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2011 - 2:37PM #185
Erey
Posts: 17,351

Jun 2, 2011 -- 11:39AM, rocketjsquirell wrote:


CL


Most of us are just generally dumb when led by our brainless parts, but DSK was colossally dumb.





Well yes, but you have to think he got away with this before, maybe several times.  After awhile you stop being so carefull and behave more risky. 


It seems like the two French women who claimed he did this before were never encouraged to file and were instead silenced as being silly young women. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2011 - 3:48PM #186
CharikIeia
Posts: 8,303

Jun 2, 2011 -- 11:04AM, Erey wrote:


Frankly Char, I am more concerned with women being raped by the rich and powerful than the media and the national leadership covering up or preventing information from getting to the press.  I might have thought you had similar priorities



My priorities were not the issue in my previous post, I just wanted to explain "the French's reaction" which you were irritated about. My priorities indeed are similar to yours, sure. That doesn't mean I refuse to understand others' reasoning, which has many valid elements as well.


Strauss-Kahn is very well-known in France and also in Europe as a whole. He used to be minister of finance in France, now leading figure in the opposition, a very charming person - Clinton like. A person who can win sympathies easily. Not at all the ugly old wrinkled pervert people over here have enjoyed to portray him as.


As IMF head, Strauss-Kahn played a very important, pro-active, constructive role in the European debt crisis management (you may know Greece, Ireland and Portugal are in troubles).

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2011 - 4:58PM #187
Erey
Posts: 17,351

Jun 2, 2011 -- 3:48PM, CharikIeia wrote:


Jun 2, 2011 -- 11:04AM, Erey wrote:


Frankly Char, I am more concerned with women being raped by the rich and powerful than the media and the national leadership covering up or preventing information from getting to the press.  I might have thought you had similar priorities



My priorities were not the issue in my previous post, I just wanted to explain "the French's reaction" which you were irritated about. My priorities indeed are similar to yours, sure. That doesn't mean I refuse to understand others' reasoning, which has many valid elements as well.


Strauss-Kahn is very well-known in France and also in Europe as a whole. He used to be minister of finance in France, now leading figure in the opposition, a very charming person - Clinton like. A person who can win sympathies easily. Not at all the ugly old wrinkled pervert people over here have enjoyed to portray him as.


As IMF head, Strauss-Kahn played a very important, pro-active, constructive role in the European debt crisis management (you may know Greece, Ireland and Portugal are in troubles).




 


I understand he is something of a celebrity but the initial French outrage at SK's prosecution leaves a disapointed taste in my mouth.   For all the european talk of what shitty people americans are I guess nobody has much to brag about. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2011 - 9:41PM #188
jane2
Posts: 14,287

Jun 2, 2011 -- 4:58PM, Erey wrote:


Jun 2, 2011 -- 3:48PM, CharikIeia wrote:


Jun 2, 2011 -- 11:04AM, Erey wrote:


Frankly Char, I am more concerned with women being raped by the rich and powerful than the media and the national leadership covering up or preventing information from getting to the press.  I might have thought you had similar priorities



My priorities were not the issue in my previous post, I just wanted to explain "the French's reaction" which you were irritated about. My priorities indeed are similar to yours, sure. That doesn't mean I refuse to understand others' reasoning, which has many valid elements as well.


Strauss-Kahn is very well-known in France and also in Europe as a whole. He used to be minister of finance in France, now leading figure in the opposition, a very charming person - Clinton like. A person who can win sympathies easily. Not at all the ugly old wrinkled pervert people over here have enjoyed to portray him as.


As IMF head, Strauss-Kahn played a very important, pro-active, constructive role in the European debt crisis management (you may know Greece, Ireland and Portugal are in troubles).




 


I understand he is something of a celebrity but the initial French outrage at SK's prosecution leaves a disapointed taste in my mouth.   For all the european talk of what shitty people americans are I guess nobody has much to brag about. 




Some of us are really weary of your potty mouth.


 




discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2011 - 10:12PM #189
Erey
Posts: 17,351

Jun 2, 2011 -- 9:41PM, jane2 wrote:


Jun 2, 2011 -- 4:58PM, Erey wrote:


Jun 2, 2011 -- 3:48PM, CharikIeia wrote:


Jun 2, 2011 -- 11:04AM, Erey wrote:


Frankly Char, I am more concerned with women being raped by the rich and powerful than the media and the national leadership covering up or preventing information from getting to the press.  I might have thought you had similar priorities



My priorities were not the issue in my previous post, I just wanted to explain "the French's reaction" which you were irritated about. My priorities indeed are similar to yours, sure. That doesn't mean I refuse to understand others' reasoning, which has many valid elements as well.


Strauss-Kahn is very well-known in France and also in Europe as a whole. He used to be minister of finance in France, now leading figure in the opposition, a very charming person - Clinton like. A person who can win sympathies easily. Not at all the ugly old wrinkled pervert people over here have enjoyed to portray him as.


As IMF head, Strauss-Kahn played a very important, pro-active, constructive role in the European debt crisis management (you may know Greece, Ireland and Portugal are in troubles).




 


I understand he is something of a celebrity but the initial French outrage at SK's prosecution leaves a disapointed taste in my mouth.   For all the european talk of what shitty people americans are I guess nobody has much to brag about. 




Some of us are really weary of your potty mouth.


 







Dear Jane,


ARe all young women from liberal New England raised by liberal catholics and consider themselves intellectuals such bores?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 02, 2011 - 10:28PM #190
arielg
Posts: 9,102

I understand he is something of a celebrity but the initial French  outrage at SK's prosecution leaves a disapointed taste in my mouth.    For all the european talk of what shitty people americans are I guess  nobody has much to brag about.




You don't have to be French to see the stupidity of parading an accused person as if he  was already a  convicted criminal.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 19 of 22  •  Prev 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook