Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View New Confrimation That Norway is Anti-Semitic and Anti-Islam -
4 years ago  ::  May 06, 2011 - 11:45AM #1
rocketjsquirell

Any vestige of the assumption that Norway is a liberal democracy has now been permanently removed. Anti-semitism is alive and well in Norway where it is fine to club baby seals and harpoon whales but kosher slaughter is forbidden. Anti-Semitism is alive and well in Norway where it is fine to pierce your child's ears and anything else, get them tatooed, but you can not have your son circumsied.

Any questions?

Norway’s Jews oppose circumcision law amendment

(JTA) -- The umbrella organization for Jews in Norway is  opposing a proposed amendment that would ban ritual circumcision on boys  younger than 15.

The Mosaic Religious Community, the umbrella for Norway's Jewish  community and Jewish organizations, has sent a letter to Norwegian  Foreign Minister Jonas Gahr Store and Justice Minister Knut Storberget  outlining its opposition to the amendment proposed by the country's  state ombudsman for children, the English-language website News and  Views from Norway reported.

full article:

www.jta.org/news/article/2011/05/05/3087...
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 06, 2011 - 12:49PM #2
REteach

One could argue there are more health benefits from circumsion than from pierced ears.  I have never understood 2 month olds that show up in clinic with pierced ears.  I guess it must be OK since it does not have a religious underpinning?

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 06, 2011 - 12:55PM #3
Christianlib

One of my favorite lines from (not so great) literature:

"Willie strutted into the bar; wearing jeans so tight you could tell his religion."

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 06, 2011 - 1:09PM #4
Girlchristian

May 6, 2011 -- 12:49PM, REteach wrote:

One could argue there are more health benefits from circumsion than from pierced ears.  I have never understood 2 month olds that show up in clinic with pierced ears.  I guess it must be OK since it does not have a religious underpinning?

I don't really understand why a law would or could ban circumcision. I always assumed getting the ears pierced that early was so the child won't remember the pain? I don't know, my mom waited until we asked for it before we got our ears pierced.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 06, 2011 - 1:54PM #5
Roodog

May 6, 2011 -- 11:45AM, rocketjsquirell wrote:

Any vestige of the assumption that Norway is a liberal democracy has now been permanently removed. Anti-semitism is alive and well in Norway where it is fine to club baby seals and harpoon whales but kosher slaughter is forbidden. Anti-Semitism is alive and well in Norway where it is fine to pierce your child's ears and anything else, get them tatooed, but you can not have your son circumsied.

Any questions?

Norway’s Jews oppose circumcision law amendment

(JTA) -- The umbrella organization for Jews in Norway is opposing a proposed amendment that would ban ritual circumcision on boys younger than 15.

The Mosaic Religious Community, the umbrella for Norway's Jewish community and Jewish organizations, has sent a letter to Norwegian Foreign Minister Jonas Gahr Store and Justice Minister Knut Storberget outlining its opposition to the amendment proposed by the country's state ombudsman for children, the English-language website News and Views from Norway reported.

full article:

www.jta.org/news/article/2011/05/05/3087...

At least they are equal opportunity haters. Maybe they should ban Infant Baptism.

Adult circumcision?

Enough to make any male cringe!

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 06, 2011 - 1:58PM #6
rocketjsquirell

Roo

I have been told that it is mostly an anti-Muslim thing since there are very few Jews left in Norway (It is not a very hospitable place to be Jewish). In any event it is certainly not a very liberal and accepting of other cultures and traditions thing to do.  

My brother in law was circumcised as an adult, he said it wasn't that bad. (Of course he had access to all sorts of modern pain killers). I have to say, I don't remember a thing from when I was 8 days old.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 06, 2011 - 2:07PM #7
farragut

"I don't remember a thing from when I was 8 days old."

Nor do I, and I am grateful to my parents for having it done.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 06, 2011 - 3:12PM #8
Fodaoson

How about female circumcision? Is it okay because it is religious?   Circumcision has NO HEALTH benefits.   It does produce loss of nerve sensitivity in the area that is normally covered by foreskin.

Ear piercing is has no ascetic value in a child and it should not occur until that person can express their individual desire to pierce their body parts. 

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 06, 2011 - 4:37PM #9
rocketjsquirell

May 6, 2011 -- 3:12PM, Fodaoson wrote:

How about female circumcision? Is it okay because it is religious?   Circumcision has NO HEALTH benefits.   It does produce loss of nerve sensitivity in the area that is normally covered by foreskin.

Ear piercing is has no ascetic value in a child and it should not occur until that person can express their individual desire to pierce their body parts. 

Female circumcision is not a religious observance. In fact, Judaism prohibits it as mutilation of the body. Judaism also prohibits tattoos and body piercings for the same reason. 

Circumcision has been shown to have some relatively mild health benefits. Circumcised men have fewer urinary tract infections and a slightly lower penile cancer rate. It also does not effect the functioning of one's reproductive organs. If there is any diminution of sensitivity (something I have never seen documented) it is probably appreciated by the women of this world. (reduction in umm . . .  early release)

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 06, 2011 - 7:17PM #10
Erey

May 6, 2011 -- 3:12PM, Fodaoson wrote:

There are health benefits to circumcision - you can find tons of articles on how circumcised males transmit AIDS and other STDs less frequently.  Tons of articles out there.

I know men who were advised by doctors to get circumcised as an adult.  Evidentaly their wives kept getting infections. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook