Switch to Forum Live View OT--Okay--Who Watched? And Why?
3 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2011 - 4:12PM #1
writingal1

Who watched the royal wedding? And why did you watch?

Do you  think there is a lot of interest in it in the US?
Why or why not?

Do you think we've ever come close in the US to that kind of uncritical suppportive atmosphere the Brits are showing?

And btw--wasn't that a gorgeous modern dress?

(Note--This is a Community Building thread.)
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2011 - 4:48PM #2
Jasr

My local station is an ABC affiliate, and I watch it over breakfast to get the weather and local news, so this morning I caught part of the royal wedding.

And it was worth it to see the look on my son's face when I started to sing along to "Jerusalem."

This post-Monty Python generation is simply uncouth and uneducated.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2011 - 4:55PM #3
writingal1

Jasr--that's a cute story about your son...

Having been raised as a Catholic I don't know that song either... ;)

I have PBS's re-run of the BBC coverage on right now and I am in awe all over again at the majesty of the architecture of Westminster Abbey.

I know we're not much for pomp in this country but there is something to be said for architecture that inspires...

I think that the Gothic architects knew what they were doing when they created these soaring buildings for people to gather in.

An edifice like Westminster Abbey can be a source of emotional support ijn times of great need--like what we're going through right now.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2011 - 4:59PM #4
writingal1

I very much liked how many of the British commentators mentioned dthat the victims of our severe storms in Alabama and elsewhere in the US were in their thoughts and prayers.

I'm not sure that we in the US are as aware of what's going on in other countries as Europeans seem to be...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2011 - 5:02PM #5
Jasr

Apr 29, 2011 -- 4:55PM, writingal1 wrote:

Having been raised as a Catholic I don't know that song either...;)

It's not about being Protestant; it's really about being English:

And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon England's mountains green?
And was the holy Lamb of God
On England's pleasant pastures seen?

And did the Countenance Divine
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here
Among these dark satanic mills?

Bring me my bow of burning gold!
Bring me my arrows of desire!
Bring me my spear! O clouds, unfold!
Bring me my chariot of fire!

I will not cease from mental fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand,
Till we have built Jerusalem
In England's green and pleasant land.

And I don't know it because I am British, or even because I was raised Canadian; I know it because I imbibed Monty Python for most of my mis-spent youth. For some reason, John Cleese loved that song.

Moderated by Merope on Apr 30, 2011 - 12:08PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2011 - 5:10PM #6
writingal1

Apr 29, 2011 -- 5:02PM, Jasr wrote:

Bring me my bow of burning gold!
Bring me my arrows of desire!
Bring me my spear! O clouds, unfold!
Bring me my chariot of fire!

Jasr--thanks so much!

Not only do I recognize how many movies have been named from this lyrics but as soon as I
read the line "Bring me my shield.." I could hear it being sung.

Yes--yes

Monte Python--but also a lot of other literary works have used this song.

Moderated by Merope on Apr 30, 2011 - 12:14PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 29, 2011 - 5:12PM #7
writingal1

(One blanket apology for all the typos and grammatical erors. I can't get the edit function to work right now.)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2011 - 11:54AM #8
Mostyn32

Like Jasr, I'm Brit-born, and I enjoy a good spectacle so narurally I set my alarm for the unnatural hour of 4:00 a.m. CDT and watched the wedding in real time. It was worth it. William was as cool as a cucumber, Catherine was radiant (and the dress was exquisite in its elegant simplicity - I have the feeling our new Princess is going to be a fashion icon like her late mother-in-law ), the royals were all relaxed and happy (although I'm still trying to figure out just what that edifice was that Princess Beatrice wore on her head. It looked a giant speculaas cookie!) and Catherine's father was a typical dad on his dauighter's wedding day.  

I had fun checking out the clothes and those smashing hats. I gave my 'Looks like a bag of flour tied up ugly' dress award to the British Prime Minister's wife. She looked like she was dressed to spring clean the box room and was hatless, a social solecism at a royal occasion! Best dressed apart from Catherine was the mother of the bride, with the Queen as runner up.  

"God is no captious sophister, eager to trip us up whenever we say amiss, but a courteous tutor, ready to amend what, in our weakness or our ignorance, we say ill, and to make the most of what we say aright."  from 'A Learned Discourse on Justification', a sermon by Richard Hooker (1554-1600).
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook