Page 8 of 8  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Switch to Forum Live View Who's Gonna Watch the Royal Wedding?
3 years ago  ::  May 04, 2011 - 3:42PM #71
MMarcoe

May 4, 2011 -- 11:41AM, Ebon wrote:

May 3, 2011 -- 10:12PM, IDBC wrote:

What I am curious about is wether there will be a King William and Queen Catherine and why Prince Phillip the husband of Queen Elizabeth isn't King Phillip. 

Essentially, it's down to the archaic nature of the Acts of Succession. Because Phillip is a naturalised citizen (he's Greek by birth), he cannot ascend the throne so he can't have the title of "King".

Since Kate is a British citizen by birth and they married before he took the throne, she will become Queen Catherine in due course.

If Philip were a British citizen by birth, he would then be king?

Would he then outrank the queen?

There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.

God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 04, 2011 - 3:56PM #72
rocketjsquirell

If Philip were British by birth he still could not be King. Any reigning British Queen's husband is simply the Queen's consort. Philip would and could not be King because he is not in the line of succession. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 04, 2011 - 4:09PM #73
Ebon

May 4, 2011 -- 3:42PM, MMarcoe wrote:

If Philip were a British citizen by birth, he would then be king?

Would he then outrank the queen?

As I understand the (incredibly complicated) Acts of Succession, he'd still be Royal Consort. From what I can tell, a King does outrank a Queen. So the wife of a King gets to be a Queen but the husband of a Queen doesn't get to be a King unless they are also part of the Order of Succession (which is theoretically possible due to the very extended nature of the family).

Yes, it's sexist and very confusing, it's about seven hundred years old.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 04, 2011 - 9:26PM #74
IDBC

Howdy Ebon

May 4, 2011 -- 11:41AM, Ebon wrote:

May 3, 2011 -- 10:12PM, IDBC wrote:

What I am curious about is wether there will be a King William and Queen Catherine and why Prince Phillip the husband of Queen Elizabeth isn't King Phillip. 

Essentially, it's down to the archaic nature of the Acts of Succession. Because Phillip is a naturalised citizen (he's Greek by birth), he cannot ascend the throne so he can't have the title of "King".

Since Kate is a British citizen by birth and they married before he took the throne, she will become Queen Catherine in due course.

I think you got it right.  I did not know that Prince Phillip was not born British. 

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Phillip

HAVE A THINKING DAY MAY REASON GUIDE YOU
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 12, 2011 - 3:46AM #75
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 8 of 8  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook