Page 6 of 40  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 40 Next
Switch to Forum Live View
Locked: The Fate of Christians in the Middle East
4 years ago  ::  Apr 24, 2011 - 6:20AM #51
habesor

I came across an article that is relevant to the topic of this thread. It is an analysis of the falsehoods of Arab propaganda as they relate to the history and current status of Christians under Arab, Muslim and Israeli rule. It can be found at:

www.hudson-ny.org/2045/palestinian-chris... 

Habesor

Habesor
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 24, 2011 - 7:10AM #52
Kinky.christian

Can the Catholic knight match the courage of the Jewish judge?

I wish I could say the answer was "yes". I think the correct answer is "no."

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 02, 2011 - 5:25AM #53
Kinky.christian

This piece from the Washington Post analyses the position of Christians in Syria.

For Syrian Christians, protests are cause for fear

Meanwhile, fear is mounting among the nation’s Christians that the uprising that has rocked this tightly controlled country over the past month will bring them only misery.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 02, 2011 - 8:32AM #54
JAstor

May 2, 2011 -- 5:25AM, Kinky.christian wrote:

This piece from the Washington Post analyses the position of Christians in Syria.

For Syrian Christians, protests are cause for fear

Meanwhile, fear is mounting among the nation’s Christians that the uprising that has rocked this tightly controlled country over the past month will bring them only misery.

That's Syria. Here's news about Christians in the rest the Middle East...

www.jpost.com/ChristianInIsrael/Features...

Amid the massive political upheavals in the Middle East, a ground-breaking conference held recently in Chicago issued an urgent appeal for Western Christians to not forget about the suffering endured by their sisters and brothers living under Shari’a law in the Muslim-majority countries of the region....

The Christian people of Iraq are under clear threat of annihilation,” Phares warned. “We intervened in the Balkans to protect Muslims. This is a similar situation.”

Juliana Taimoorazy, director of the Iraqi Christian Relief Council, a group headquartered in Chicago which advocates for the Assyrian Christian community in Iraq, recounted how Muslim extremists in Iraq sent threatening letters to Christian families in the years following the US-led invasion in 2003.

“They offered three simple choices: To convert to Islam, to pay the jizya, or to leave,” she said.

“Initially, many refused to obey. This resulted in the acts of kidnapping, torture, rape and murder of our innocent men and women.”

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 08, 2011 - 5:03AM #55
Kinky.christian

The news just keeps on getting worse.

At least 6 dead in sectarian clashes outside Cairo church

Cairo, Egypt (CNN) -- At least six people were killed and 120 injured in sectarian clashes outside a Cairo church, an incident officials say began over rumors that a Christian woman who converted to Islam was being held there against her will.

[…]

During the clashes Saturday, Muslims and Christians exchanged gunfire, sending people running for cover, witnesses said.

"With my own eyes I saw three people killed and dozens injured," said Mina Adel, a Christian resident. "There's no security here. There's a big problem. People attacked us, and we have to protect ourselves."

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 08, 2011 - 11:37AM #56
Amin21

You do know that this started due to the honor killing of a former Christian who married a muslim and converted to Islam...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 08, 2011 - 5:56PM #57
Kinky.christian

12 dead in Egypt as Christians and Muslims clash

The unrest began Saturday night in the Imbaba District northwest of Cairo, as a mob of hard-line Muslims attacked the Virgin Mary church. A separate group of youths also attacked an apartment building several blocks away, residents said.
[…]
Salafists, a faction of ultraconservative Muslims, have become increasingly visible in recent months. Christians accuse Salafists of seeking to boost their standing ahead of elections scheduled to take place in this fall by fomenting religious tension.

Does not bode well for Egyptian Christians or for the future of Egypt.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 08, 2011 - 6:57PM #58
SherriMunnerlyn
Persecution has its place and time and purposes, and Christians can have faith in God to see them through the trials and circumstances they confront, all of them. There is a bigger plan, I think, we do not see clearly. We are not called to hate, this I know. They just need to take one day at a time, have faith, turn to God. We choose to focus on our circumstances and let them bring us down or to look up to God and refuse to allow our circumstances take away our joy and peace. Another thing, God always does awesome things in awful circumstances, we just have to wait to behold God and be prepared to go where He leads and be amazed. Sherri
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 08, 2011 - 7:14PM #59
Kinky.christian

At least one Bishop is making a stand

Nazir-Ali urges Western countries to condemn anti-Christian violence

Writing in the latest edition of Standpoint magazine, the bishop said the UN had taken the necessary steps to protect people in Libya from attacks by their own government, but questioned why the UN or the West was “unable to tackle the widespread and growing persecution of Christians?”

He voiced particular concern over Iraq, Pakistan and Afghanistan, where the Christian communities face regular attacks and harassment at the hands of Muslims.

“In the case of Iraq, why is there so much resistance to a declaration that Christians, Mandaeans, Yazidis and other minorities need to be protected and that, where necessary, their safety in certain zones will be guaranteed by the international community?” he said.

(Emphasis added)

Why indeed?

And why is it only "Western" countries that should be making a stand?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 08, 2011 - 8:23PM #60
SherriMunnerlyn
Kinky.christian, I expect the appeal to Western nations is being made because he thinks Western nations, by virtue of their relationships to the governments, can by their acts of condemning the violence and other actions aimed at helping Christians, make a difference in lives of Christians there. As some here are saying Christians simply need to leave, to flee, I am seeing around me churches sending mission trips to these places, I am seeing Christian Peacemaker Teams in Palestine and Iraq, Quakers in Ramallah. And I read their stories, of people with struggles, but with hope and faith, and over and over again I see people learning about love from the people there, from Christians and Muslims and others, as well. Blessings that words are so inadequate to even begin to describe await Christians in these places. Sherri
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 6 of 40  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 40 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook