Page 1 of 21  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21 Next
Switch to Forum Live View The Palestinians’ mistake in seeking statehood from the U.N.
4 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2011 - 12:08PM #1
rocketjsquirell

I thought that those of you who think that unilateral action or the "creation" of a Palestinain State by the UN without negotiations is a good thing might benefit from reading this article. Read it, and let me know what you think. Is your mind changed?

The Palestinians’ mistake in seeking statehood from the U.N.

In almost two decades of working on Arab-Israeli negotiations as a State  Department  adviser and negotiator, I’ve come up with more than my fair  share of dumb ideas. But the notion Palestinians are cooking up, for U.N. action on Palestinian statehood this fall, takes dumb to a new level.

Yet another resolution won’t deliver Palestinians a state or even bring  them closer to one. The result will be the opposite of what the  Palestinians want: forcing the United States to oppose Palestinians’  efforts, energizing Congress to restrict much-needed assistance to  Palestinian     institution-building, and probably prompting Israel to  do very real (and dumb) things on the ground.
. . .

What Palestinians hope to achieve from their latest efforts, however,  is unclear — a campaign to recognize Palestine and lay the groundwork  for admission to the United Nations, or merely to pressure Israel and  the United States to get serious in negotiations?

Maybe it’s the last, because negotiations are the only  possible path to statehood. That they can’t deliver now is no reason to  embrace ideas that won’t work and that will leave Palestinians worse off  than they already are.

. . .

First, a paper resolution, even one with monitoring and the threat of  some collective action against Israel if no movement is made toward  statehood, won’t produce a state. In fact, a U.N. campaign  for  statehood will reflect Palestinian weakness, not resolve. The  Palestinian national movement today is divided;  there are no guarantees that Hamas would support a U.N. campaign. The  Palestinian Authority doesn’t control Gaza, most of the West Bank or its  putative capital in East Jerusalem. An empty resolution in New York  will score points where it doesn’t count and reflect a lack of capacity  where it does — on the ground. Hamas gets more attention from Israel  through its rockets than the Palestinians have gotten from their resolutions.

Second,  actions produce reactions. No matter how artful and skillful the U.N.  campaign is, the United States will almost certainly oppose it.  Washington will veto the resolution in the Security Council. While it  can’t block resolutions in the General Assembly, the United States won’t  concede either the principle of declaring statehood outside of  negotiations or marshaling international pressure against Israel.

. . .

Third, there’s Israel, which is worried about isolation and de-legitimatization and very concerned about the Palestinian campaign.  Time and again, however, the Israelis have shown that they will defy  rather than submit to international pressure. Anti-Israeli resolutions  at the United Nations will give Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu a  perfect issue to rally support and to claim (yet again) that Israel has  no partner with which to make peace.
. . .

full article here:
www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-pale...

Edit to correct link (two days it wouldn't open for me).

Moderated by Stardove on Apr 19, 2011 - 01:07PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2011 - 12:13PM #2
KindredSai

The link appears to be broken Rocket, or maybe it's my IP.

But  I've read the opinion piece in the Washington Post and it's typical American Party Line rhetoric...

"Dismiss the State recognition as futile and so it won't isolate the US and Israel".

The fact is Obama and the US is quaking at the thought of UNGA recognition of Palestine, he faces elections soon and the Jewish and Christian electorate want what's best solely in Israel's interests.

Aaron David Miller is the typical Middle Eastern "negotiator" who failed during Clinton's era and yet has all the answers now to resolve the conflict.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2011 - 12:32PM #3
rocketjsquirell

Works for me

www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-pale...

or

www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/the-palestinians-mistake-in-seeking-statehood-from-the-un/2011/04/12/AFlWo8eD_story.html

If it does not work just go to Washington Posts home page and look for opinions (1/2 way down in the middle. you will see the article's headline there) 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2011 - 2:44PM #4
BDboy

Apr 15, 2011 -- 12:13PM, KindredSai wrote:

The link appears to be broken Rocket, or maybe it's my IP.

But  I've read the opinion piece in the Washington Post and it's typical American Party Line rhetoric...

"Dismiss the State recognition as futile and so it won't isolate the US and Israel".

The fact is Obama and the US is quaking at the thought of UNGA recognition of Palestine, he faces elections soon and the Jewish and Christian electorate want what's best solely in Israel's interests.

Aaron David Miller is the typical Middle Eastern "negotiator" who failed during Clinton's era and yet has all the answers now to resolve the conflict.

>>>>>>>>>> If you cannot read it, don't worry. It does not have anything interesting. It sthe US will continue to block everything Palestinians want to do peacefully.

That did not work for decades, US should rethink puttting out it's neck for Israel every time they have to make unsavory Israeli policies "Kosher" to the world.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2011 - 3:05PM #5
Mlyons619

So you don't want anyone else to read what the other side has to say, BDboy?  Nope, we wouldn't want anybody to know the otehr side's point of view.  Yup, that what propagandists usually say...

"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2011 - 3:57PM #6
KindredSai

Apr 17, 2011 -- 3:05PM, Mlyons619 wrote:

So you don't want anyone else to read what the other side has to say, BDboy?  Nope, we wouldn't want anybody to know the otehr side's point of view.  Yup, that what propagandists usually say...

I think he has read it and that's the point. And so have I, first and foremost the author is a Pro-American administration hugger and as well all know, America as much as Israel hasn't got a clear and consistent policy in the Middle East.

Truth is as Francis Boyle has cited, America and Israel are not honest negotiators, anything that states contrary to peaceful ways to avoid Israeli and American beligerance is propaganda.

The Zionist propaganda machine works well within the US media.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2011 - 4:42PM #7
Mlyons619

So, the US press is "ZIONIST-controlled," eh -- Yup, that's EXACTLY how the propagandists would word it.

--Thomas Jefferson

-- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 17, 2011 - 11:53PM #8
habesor

What's a bit strange is not that pro-Arab types reject all criticism of Palestinian actions or proposed actions and insist such criticisms arise out of Zionist control of the critic or the media. What is truly weird is that when the Palestinian policy being criticized fails, or blows up in the faces of the Palestinians, the pro-Arab folks either deny that it was ever a Palestinian policy, argue that in terms of justice it was the correct policy or insist that the policy was not that of the Palestinians but was really a clever plot by the Zionists.

Habesor 

Habesor
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 18, 2011 - 12:05AM #9
Mlyons619

Yup, that sounds about right...

--Thomas Jefferson

-- Monty Python
Quick Reply