Page 1 of 12  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Joining The IDF ...For Jesus
4 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2011 - 4:13AM #1
Welle

A really long day so too tired to argue with anyone, but could not let this go by without posting.

www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-40566...

The new Christian settlers

A thousand US Christians want to join IDF, set up communities beyond Green Line

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2011 - 5:27AM #2
shmuelgoldstein

We should learn from you, you actually had me fooled.

The title of this thread is incorrect.

The Christians in question, as quoted in the link provided, are not doing it for Jesus.  These Christians want to convert to Judaism, then move to Israel, and establish a village in Yesha.

In fact, Catholic priests urged their congregants to boycott their leader, Baruch Abramovich.

So, no, they are not doing it "for Jesus", in fact, they are rejecting Jesus by converting to Judaism. And they say they want to do it under Orthodox auspices. They even have a community in Missouri of about 400 people who are keeping the Sabbath.

My take on it is that is sounds a bit weird, but if they are truly sincere, then they are welcome to come.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2011 - 6:29AM #3
CharikIeia

Converts, of whatever stripe or colour, are always a bit too sincere to be generally trusted. My two cents. I am afraid Israel will lose by adding them to its citizenry...

As you say, Shmuel, it's quite incorrect by Ynetnews to call these people "Christians"... what kind of news channel is Ynetnews, that it would spread such inaccuracies?

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2011 - 7:17AM #4
KindredSai

Ethnic cleansing by pertaining to be part of Israel.

The backwardness of it all Chariklea is that a Christian from the United States can probably go to Israel in the hope in converting to Judaism and be allowed to become a citizen.

Whereas a Palestinian-Arab born in Israel and left due to a climate of war cannot return?

Is everyone oblivious to the notion of justice here?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2011 - 7:55AM #5
shmuelgoldstein

Apr 14, 2011 -- 6:29AM, CharikIeia wrote:

Converts, of whatever stripe or colour, are always a bit too sincere to be generally trusted. My two cents. I am afraid Israel will lose by adding them to its citizenry...

You've got a point there - I am indeed ambivalent about this thing.

Maybe it's time we be more picky about who we accept and who we do not. Many are of the opinion that we should have tightened the Law of Return a while ago. At present, there are so many loopholes in it that third-level relatives of someone who is Jewish can immigrant under the law, and that has led to a lot of abuses.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2011 - 7:58AM #6
shmuelgoldstein

Apr 14, 2011 -- 7:17AM, KindredSai wrote:

... a Christian from the United States can probably go to Israel in the hope in converting to Judaism and be allowed to become a citizen.

They are not accepted as an immigrant under the Law of Return if they convert in Israel (which is a hard thing to do anyway).

If the person converts abroad, and the conversion is recognized by the State of Israel, then they can immigrate according to the Law of Return.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2011 - 8:01AM #7
KindredSai

Apr 14, 2011 -- 7:58AM, shmuelgoldstein wrote:

... a Christian from the United States can probably go to Israel in the hope in converting to Judaism and be allowed to become a citizen.

They are not accepted as an immigrant under the Law of Return if they convert in Israel (which is a hard thing to do anyway).

If the person converts abroad, and the conversion is recognized by the State of Israel, then they can immigrate according to the Law of Return.

Which is the backwardness of it all, correct me if I'm wrong but is Israel the only nation of the world which has a law of return which extends to religious adherents?

The bigoted concept of the law of return boggles the mind.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2011 - 8:55AM #8
JAstor

Apr 14, 2011 -- 8:01AM, KindredSai wrote:

Which is the backwardness of it all, correct me if I'm wrong but is Israel the only nation of the world which has a law of return which extends to religious adherents?

If a person wants to become a citizen of the United States they have to go through a long and arduous process, including learning about the country and its values. Same here. The only difference is that Judaism is the standard by which it is determined if such a person knows enough and is committed enough.

And what boggles my mind is that this is what you harp on as bigoted: the bigotry of the Arab world is never a subject you broach unless someone brings it up and then maybe -- maybe -- you say, well, yes, begrudgingly. And it's not only bigotry of Arabs against Jews. It's Arabs against other Arabs. Muslims against other Muslims. To say nothing of Arabs against blacks and women.

And not only is such bigotry deeply rooted in the mentality of the culture it is often regulated as law in all these countries trying to destroy Israel. In fact, if it wasn't for Israel the rest of teh Arab world would be aiming the worst of their bigotry against the Palestinians! The only thing that saves the Palestinians from getting the brunt of Arab bigotry is that they are more bigoted against Jews!

What boggles my mind is that you have the audacity to only bring up one type of alleged bigotry, but don't rail against the real monster, the bigotry of the people whom you identify with.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2011 - 9:26AM #9
LeahOne

Apr 14, 2011 -- 8:01AM, KindredSai wrote:

I dunno -  I think it's far LESS barbaric and bigoted than making a law forbidding people from converting away from a religion under pain of death, and forbidding the practice of any religion save one within the country.

People who are not Muslim don't get very far trying to become citizens of most ME countries - DO THEY?

But you want to focus ONLY on what you perceive as faults of Israel.....

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2011 - 9:29AM #10
LeahOne

Israel is probably the ONLY nation which has a 'law of return', period.

My understanding of the German immigration laws has been that my husband could easily immigrate because he can document his ancestry as German - but that I could not (except fo course for being his wife)  While I can come close to documenting my ancestry as Austrian - I don't think that'd be enough to get me into Austria....not that we're interested to begin with!

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 12  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook