Page 5 of 23  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 23 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Obama's War in Libya
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2011 - 4:23PM #41
rangerken

Mar 28, 2011 -- 4:08PM, Welle wrote:

Mar 28, 2011 -- 4:04PM, rangerken wrote:

I assume that those who paticipate on this and other related threads will watch or listen to Obama's speech tonight. I'll hold anymore of my own comments about this issue until after that.

Ken

I don't know if I will, Ken.  I don't find him to be a very dynamic speaker and the speeches vex my patience.  I'll probably get the highlights afterwards; they seem to spend around seven hours analyzing presidential speeches on cable news.

Welle, I frankly can't stand him, and that feeling has gotten worse as his administration has proggressed. But he's the president, so I'll force myself to watch so that when I see the various sound bites and media reports I'll at least have the ability to agree or disaggree with whichever pundit is punditifying.

I'll try to watch comments on FOX, MSNBC and CNN...but also BBC and some French and German media since I speak both langauges. By tomorrow afternoon I expect to have a fair idea of what various interest groups think.

Also, reading the NY Times and Wall Street Journal, and France Soir and Der Speigel, and competing Brit papes like the Guardian and Telegraph will be interesting. A nice thing about being mostly retired (I only have one class to teach this semester) is that I have the time to do the above.

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2011 - 4:31PM #42
Welle

@Ken

That is admirable !  I usually ignore FOX and MSNBC because anytime I turn them on it's one or other slob continuing a feud with a person on the opposing channel. 

My next email to you in your moderator capacity (the next time I get a notice about a post of mine) will be in French or German because I know a little of those (really REALLY bad at German though !).

@vra

I saw after I read Ken's post that you had addressed mine.  I have run out of time now but will reply first thing next time I sign on here.  

Have a nice afternoon one and all,

W.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2011 - 4:39PM #43
rangerken

Mar 28, 2011 -- 4:31PM, Welle wrote:

@Ken

That is admirable !  I usually ignore FOX and MSNBC because anytime I turn them on it's one or other slob continuing a feud with a person on the opposing channel. 

My next email to you in your moderator capacity (the next time I get a notice about a post of mine) will be in French or German because I know a little of those (really REALLY bad at German though !).

@vra

I saw after I read Ken's post that you had addressed mine.  I have run out of time now but will reply first thing next time I sign on here.  

W.

Un peu des autres langues sont bon, mais si vouls plait, aussi traduisez pour les autres, ma chere Welle.

Und mein Deutsch, besser als nur ein bissel ist, aber Fransozich fur mir besser ist.

A little bit in other languages is OK, but please also translate for everyone else, dear Welle.

And my German isn't bad but my French is better.

And excellent point about 'slobs' on FOX and MSNBC trashing one another...they do, do that.

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2011 - 4:58PM #44
writingal1

The premise--and title of this thread is a LIE.

The no-fly zone enforcement over Libya is NOT "Obama's war."

It is a multi-nation effort which is being led by NATO.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2011 - 5:27PM #45
aarroottoonn

Mar 28, 2011 -- 4:58PM, writingal1 wrote:

The premise--and title of this thread is a LIE.

The no-fly zone enforcement over Libya is NOT "Obama's war."

It is a multi-nation effort which is being led by NATO.

Good luck sticking with that if things go badly (or if we are even there for any length of time). Bush's war wasn't fought alone either, and he at least had Congressional cover.

I said it before, this is a risk/no reward strategy for Obama, so I don't know why he is doing it. Maybe we will find out tonight.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2011 - 6:16PM #46
writingal1

"Good luck sticking with that if things go badly"

You mean good luck going with the TRUTH?

This is NOT "Obama's war."

Never has been.

The thread's premise is a LIE.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2011 - 6:53PM #47
Welle

Hello again vra,

I know that the two positions - yours and mine - on Libya will not be reconciled on this thread.  I will acknowledge that you may be right about some mainstream liberals not asking for Bush/Cheney's head if the action were truly seen  as a humanitarian issue (as you seem still to believe it is).

So let me move on to what you wrote about Syria.

Mar 28, 2011 -- 4:20PM, vra wrote:

Mar 28, 2011 -- 4:01PM, Welle wrote:

Aarroot, I suspect that there is very little upon which you and I would agree, but I do agree with you that mainstream liberals would be screaming (and rightly so) for Bush/Cheney's heads if this were aggression in Libya were their doing.

On Syria:  I believe that might be one which will trigger action, though certainly not for the reasons which will be claimed.  Let me come back with a short video.

As far as Syria is concerned, it is pretty much common knowledge that we simply cannot solve all problems in all areas at all times, so some selection process logically is in order as it always has been with every President/Congress.  And one factor that has been different with Libya is Khadhafy's statement about a bloodbath, plus the willingness to form a coalition that we didn't precipitate. 

You grabbed my quote to Aarroot before I came back to it with the video.  Did you go back and watch it after I came back and posted it?  Please do; it features General Wesley Clarke, back in 2007, disclosing the plan which had been told to him ...the plan to take seven countries out in five years.  Both Libya and Syria were on that list of the seven. 

So again, I predict some bullsh^t with Syria next.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2011 - 6:58PM #48
Welle

Mar 28, 2011 -- 4:39PM, rangerken wrote:

Mar 28, 2011 -- 4:31PM, Welle wrote:

@Ken

@vra

W.

Un peu des autres langues sont bon, mais si vouls plait, aussi traduisez pour les autres, ma chere Welle.

Und mein Deutsch, besser als nur ein bissel ist, aber Fransozich fur mir besser ist.

A little bit in other languages is OK, but please also translate for everyone else, dear Welle.

And my German isn't bad but my French is better.

And excellent point about 'slobs' on FOX and MSNBC trashing one another...they do, do that.

Ken

I can't believe somebody is inspiring me to write in French again !!  But I just mean emails to you in your moderator capacity (as in, when there's an issue with one of my posts).  Thus, luckily I won't have to translate what I write for anybody else ...because I might not be able to do that !

^.^

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2011 - 7:01PM #49
writingal1

For the poster above who said they don't like to listen to the president speak--

Most reputable news outlets will post the transcript of the speech on their websites--

A few of them include--

www.pbs.org/newshour

www.npr.org

www.cbsnews.com

www.nytimes.com

www.washingtonpost.com

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2011 - 7:24PM #50
Welle

Mar 28, 2011 -- 7:01PM, writingal1 wrote:

For the poster above who said they don't like to listen to the president speak--

Most reputable news outlets will post the transcript of the speech on their websites--

A few of them include--

www.pbs.org/newshour

www.npr.org

www.cbsnews.com

www.nytimes.com

www.washingtonpost.com

Thank you, writingal !   

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 23  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 23 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing