Page 3 of 23  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 23 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Obama's War in Libya
3 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2011 - 8:47PM #21
Fodaoson

Mar 27, 2011 -- 3:19PM, Ur2 wrote:

Has no one noticed? Our Nobel Peace Prize winning Prez has us involved in a civil war in Lybia. Lybia has neither threatened us nor invaded us, yet we are spending hundreds of millions a day rocketing & bombing Lybian National Forces and killing multitudes of civilians as well.

Now we have Three Wars to die for and spend money on that we don't have.

Furthermore, many are saying that it's un-Constitutional.

Thanx,

Ur2 

Has anyone noticed the Anti-Obama-ites keep changing their mind?   They were  yelling do something, do something.   An when he does something they yell wrong , wrong!

The Commander in Chief deployed US forces in an UN Security council  action.  We are member of UN  and NATO by treaty and the  constitution  article  VI  says “This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the Constitution or laws of any State to the contrary notwithstanding”  Therefore that  action is constitutional

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2011 - 10:25PM #22
jonny42

Mar 27, 2011 -- 8:47PM, Fodaoson wrote:

Mar 27, 2011 -- 3:19PM, Ur2 wrote:

Has no one noticed? Our Nobel Peace Prize winning Prez has us involved in a civil war in Lybia. Lybia has neither threatened us nor invaded us, yet we are spending hundreds of millions a day rocketing & bombing Lybian National Forces and killing multitudes of civilians as well.

Now we have Three Wars to die for and spend money on that we don't have.

Furthermore, many are saying that it's un-Constitutional.

Thanx,

Ur2 

Has anyone noticed the Anti-Obama-ites keep changing their mind?   They were  yelling do something, do something.   An when he does something they yell wrong , wrong!

The Commander in Chief deployed US forces in an UN Security council  action.  We are member of UN  and NATO by treaty and the  constitution  article  VI  says “This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the Constitution or laws of any State to the contrary notwithstanding”  Therefore that  action is constitutional

What did the D's want him to do?  Attack Libya, or stay out of it? 

I think there were D's on both sides.  

I think there were R's on both sides.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2011 - 11:50PM #23
writingal1

Foda says--

"Has anyone noticed the Anti-Obama-ites keep changing their mind?   They were  yelling do something, do something.   An when he does something they yell wrong , wrong!"

Yerp-that's why I say that the ANTI-Obama Rs here have only ONE attitude--

"Damned if he does and damned if he doesn't."

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2011 - 1:11PM #24
johndavid23

The news reports that the "rebels" (soon to be called "freedom fighters") are pushing Gadaffi's supporters back to their little boxes.  Stay tuned to Al Jazzera.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2011 - 1:24PM #25
aarroottoonn

I guess we will see what Obama says tonight. He is playing a dangerous game, as the pro Gadafi forces are pointing out that we quickly went from protecting citizens from massacre, to helping the rebels win a civil war.

While I don't support the mission of freeing Libya, presidents of both parties have basically used the power of Commander in Chief to have the military do whatever the hell the pres wants.  But with his actions, if things go bad (which includes this thing somehow going on for a year and becoming a election issue) he has no cover. From a purely political standpoint, this action has no value for Obama and lots of downside.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2011 - 1:33PM #26
johndavid23

So, aar,

According to your logic, the Bush wars had no political upside for Bush? [Then why the hell would he have lied and plotted to start them?]

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2011 - 1:36PM #27
TENAC

I am still wondering why we took action against Qaddafi.

Just speaking from some frame of consistency ( I realize that is an oxymoron with obama). 

What is missing here is the other side of the "no fly zone."  Do we want to topple dictators so islamic extremists (realizing the Left doesnt think they exist) can take over a country (consider bin laden.  After we helped him against the Russians, he obviously had a change of heart toward us pre 911).

If ever there is a true state, "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" has never been more profound than while dealing with the mideast.

Right now, no one wants to be incharge of the after war.  And this will be a mess.

obama tends to lead from behind always.

Any man can count the seeds in an apple....
.......but only God can count the apples in the seeds.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2011 - 1:38PM #28
aarroottoonn

Mar 28, 2011 -- 1:33PM, johndavid23 wrote:

So, aar,

According to your logic, the Bush wars had no political upside for Bush? [Then why the hell would he have lied and plotted to start them?]

First, he didn't lie. That lie has been used by the left to no effect for some time now. He also had the backing of Congress, so the R's could attempt (in this case without success) that the D's also supported the war (which they did with Hillary,for example,  as she was for the war before she was against it.) Obama without consulting congress is looking at all the blame if this doesn't work. If it does, I don't think I am exaggerating to say roughly 15 people in the US will give a damn at election time. If you disagree, fine. I look forward to all those political commercials Obama will run in 2012 talking up our involvement in Libya.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2011 - 2:06PM #29
vra

According to Richard Engel, Khadhafy may well be history one way or the other by the end of the week, and what has happened will probably be all but forgotten by November, 2012.  But I think two things are clear, and one is that Obama and the coalition acted on the threat by Khadhafy himself that there would be a slaughter of those who opposed him, plus the fact that if he had not taken action there would be all sorts of accusations about Obama being ineffectual, which was already happening before he took action (a reminder of what some on the right were saying on some previous threads just a few weeks ago). 

And, on top of that, how many Republicans have we seen completely flip-flopping by saying we should go in and then reversing themselves after we went in?  Apparently they must have forgotten that in today's day and age it's really quite easy to demonstrate inconsistancies and out-right lies, including actual recordings.  Therefore, the game that many of the Republicans have played could very well backfire, especially if the public comes to agree that we did the right thing by going in with the coalition. 

BTW, just a comment on the cost.  According to the DoD estimate, our action will cost us about $1 billion overall, but let's assume that this figure is low, which it probably will be, and the actual cost comes out to $2 billion.  Well, $2 billion is what we spend per week in Afghanistan alone, and then if we add what we're still spending in Iraq...     

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2011 - 2:19PM #30
Erey

The legality of it all bothers me.

Yes we had the UN blessing but not the blessing of the congress.  And members of the Obama admin, including Obama himself are on record saying we have no interests in Libya. 

As far as treating the American people Bush was way more legal than Obama.  Bush got approval from Congress, I think national opinion was 90% for invasion into Iraq.  Obama instead did something with the blessing of the UN but to no real support at home.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 23  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 23 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook