Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Appropriate response to Westboro and the Phelps Klan.
4 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2011 - 8:09PM #1
MysticWanderer
www.godvine.com/Christian-Veterans-Prote...

These vets protect ttheir fallen comrades and the families from those degenerate clowns!
"Not all who wander are lost" J.R.R.Tolkein
You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. ~Anne Lamott
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain."
Friedrich von Schiller
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2011 - 9:11PM #2
REteach

While I regret the Supreme Court ruling, I understand it.  THIS is the way to go.  Those guys are awesome. 

I feel sorry for those Westborough people.  They really are beyond weird.  

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2011 - 9:47PM #3
DotNotInOz

I wish that SCOTUS had seen a way to declare Westboro's actions the equivalent of yelling fire in a crowded building, but I also want to see even scurrilous free speech upheld. The very best education device is Westboro's own monumentally insensitive and uncivil behavior and speech.

As they ought to do, the states may restrict access to funerals by protestors as they see fit to uphold community standards.

And the wonderful Patriot Guard will still be riding to serve as they so nobly have at military funerals. That's a better example of who and what Americans are at their best, IMO.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2011 - 10:55PM #4
Slipnish

I keep thinking it won't be long before one of those idiots at WBC becomes a martyr.  Someone, somewhere, is gonna flip out and start shooting up those idiots.  Serves'em right, IMO.

I don't believe it. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it.

~Any Creationist~
(But honestly Douglas Adams)

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" - Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2011 - 12:27AM #5
mytmouse57

I'd be for a mass dressing in drag and singing of show tunes to counter-protest them.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2011 - 4:37AM #6
Yavanna

Mar 22, 2011 -- 12:27AM, mytmouse57 wrote:

I'd be for a mass dressing in drag and singing of show tunes to counter-protest them.

I'll loan you some nylons, but I'm not going. I don't like the drag scene.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2011 - 8:23AM #7
mytmouse57

Mar 22, 2011 -- 4:37AM, Yavanna wrote:

Mar 22, 2011 -- 12:27AM, mytmouse57 wrote:

I'll loan you some nylons, but I'm not going. I don't like the drag scene.

Well, me either.

But, I'd put on a dress and belt out "I feel Pretty" just to piss off Fred Phelps.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2011 - 8:31AM #8
Christianlib

You Eff with the vet, and the vet is prone to Eff back.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2011 - 8:52AM #9
BetteTheRedde

You could seriously have fun with that sort of thing, if you had some spare time and were feeling adventurous. Try to get the Phelps' agenda. Make sure they are met at every demonstration with a 'flash' Pride Parade of the city's LGBTQ and allies. Organize it via social media. The kids would love doing it. Meeting the Phelps' hate with love AND humour. A way for the new generation to show how different they are from their parents. Respectfully, advancing on Savage's "It Gets Better" campaign, asserting that "It's fun now". A spontaneous gay "Take Back the Night".

If you had some spare time. And this might not work so well in the Bible Belt. ;-)

"Sometimes they are referred to as the 'radical Right.' But the fact is that there is nothing radical about them. They offer no novel solutions to the problems that plague them; indeed, they offer no solutions at all. They are immensely discontented with things as they are and furiously impatient with almost everyone in public office who can in any way be held responsible for their frustrations. But it cannot be said that they hold any clearly stated objectives or have any specific program either in common or individuals. They are fundamentally and temperamentally 'aginners.' And perhaps the commonest characteristic among them is anger. They can fairly be called, if nothing else, the Rampageous Right."

Alan Barth, New York Times, November 26, 1961
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2011 - 10:20AM #10
Ironhold

My recommendation for dealing with the Phelps?

Nickel & dime them to death.

Whenever they plan to show up somewhere, have cops on-hand to nail them on each and every last little thing.

Did one of the adults drop a candy wrapper? He'd better go pick it up and put it in the trash or else that's a ticket for littering.

Are all of your permits in order to actually protest? Better file at city hall if not.

Stuff like that.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook