Page 1 of 20  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 20 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Obama: U.S. military action against Libya has begun
4 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2011 - 4:46PM #1
Stardove

Obama: U.S. military action against Libya has begun

I really didn't like hearing this news!

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2011 - 4:52PM #2
Stardove
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2011 - 4:57PM #3
Stardove

Libya: Coalition launches attacks

The UK, the US and France have begun attacking Libya as enforcement of the UN-mandated no-fly zone gets under way.

More than 110 missiles have been fired by the UK and US, officials at the Pentagon say.

UK Prime Minister David Cameron has confirmed that British planes are in action over Libya. Earlier, French planes destroyed Libyan vehicles.

Western planes bombed targets in the capital, Tripoli, said the AFP news agency, quoting witnesses and state TV.

US President Barack Obama, speaking during a visit to Brazil, said the US was taking "limited military action" as part of a "broad coalition".

"We cannot stand idly by when a tyrant tells his people there will be no mercy," he said.

He repeated that no US ground troops would take part.

I don't believe we have any ground troops to send into another battle.  When will the madness stop, and I am not talking about March Madness.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2011 - 5:02PM #4
Mlyons619

I don't like hearing about Qaddafi Duck wantonly butchering his people either while the World sits on its hands and does nothing.

Should the W#orld sit back and do nothing?

This is not a US-led effort.  It is a UN effort.  In essence, this is a WORLD effort.  You think it ill-advised?

"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2011 - 5:11PM #5
arielg

Amazing how easy it is for the warmongers to sell  another military adventure  into a foreign country. Not a peep anywhere against it.  The cheerleading whorish national media keeps talking at nauseum about "saving civilians" (by dropping more bombs).Suddenly,  they all got religion
Apparently, there were no civilians in Iraq or Afghanistan worth "saving". Only evil people to take out. Here, after 30 years of supporting it,  we suddenly decide to start saving Muslims from evil.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2011 - 5:15PM #6
Fodaoson

It is not the first Choice  but we cannot stand by while the Government attacks ite own people

Obama did this right. The UN Security council passed a resolution, The Arab league  called for it, and the Coalition Commander ,after the zone is established, will enforce it.   

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2011 - 5:16PM #7
Mlyons619

Go complain to the UN Security Council then arielG.  This is a UN and not US led effort.

--Thomas Jefferson

-- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2011 - 5:37PM #8
arielg

Mar 19, 2011 -- 5:15PM, Fodaoson wrote:

It is not the first Choice  but we cannot stand by while the Government attacks ite own people

Obama did this right. The UN Security council passed a resolution, The Arab league  called for it, and the Coalition Commander ,after the zone is established, will enforce it.   

The people who are being attacked are the one who tried to overthrow the government by force of arms.  The same whould have happened to the Egyptians, had   they had used the same methods. 

It is a common strategy to hide behind the skirts of the UN, when it is convenient. Otherwise we just ignore the fools of the UN or the Arab League.  We have done that  so many times before.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2011 - 5:38PM #9
Mlyons619

So it's okay with you if Qaddaffi Duck wantonly murders his own people, but it's NOT okay for the UN to try and stop him.  I think we know where you stand...

--Thomas Jefferson

-- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2011 - 5:43PM #10
Mostyn32

Mar 19, 2011 -- 5:15PM, Fodaoson wrote:

Obama did this right. The UN Security council passed a resolution, The Arab league  called for it, and the Coalition Commander, after the zone is established, will enforce it.   

It occurs to me that some people haven't yet grasped the fact that the present incumbent is a good deal more consultative than the previous incumbent, who saw far too many Rambo movies! US involvement in Libya is at least legal, unlike the invadion of Iraq. You can all thank whomever you thank in these situations that Bush's term came to an end when it did or the US would have invaded Iran on some flimsy pretext - not WMDs, maybe, but the nuclear threat - and thousands more US military personnel and Iranian civilians would have died so that the Bush could "bring democracy to Iran" and get their hands on all that lovely oil, too!     

"God is no captious sophister, eager to trip us up whenever we say amiss, but a courteous tutor, ready to amend what, in our weakness or our ignorance, we say ill, and to make the most of what we say aright."  from 'A Learned Discourse on Justification', a sermon by Richard Hooker (1554-1600).
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 20  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 20 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook