Switch to Forum Live View News of Japan/ US is part of the world
3 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2011 - 10:04AM #1
johndavid23
As Japan falls into chaos from the effects of earthquake and tsunami it is strange to note no threads about it here.  Is everyone in denial?  Shall we pretend that the ongoing catastrophe will not affect the US?  Will clouds of nuclear meltdown pollution not reach the West Coast shortly?  Will currents of nuclear pollution not reach Alaska shortly?  Is anyone passing out the iodine pills?

Or, is it politically disadvantageous to recognize that nuclear reactors are melting down?  That over the last sixty years, human beings have been too dumb/distracted to build safe reactors, to create storage solutions for nuclear waste (other than making pools full of thousands of used rods which require constant cooling for the next many millenia, and storing them next to vulnerable, aged nuke plants)?  Try to tell me that the meltdown crisis doesn't affect US news and politics:  remember the right-wingers, at the behest of their political patrons the energy companies, have been fighting to repeal moratoriums on nuke plants, to pretend that Chernobyl was a one time mistake, that other plants are not vulnerable even they are built upon the same stupidity (using zirconium to encase fuel rods).
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2011 - 10:16AM #2
Armwar

Why do you wish to turn this extreme tragedy into your bandwagon, political issues?  That is inappropriate. 

I am sick to think what has happened in Japan.  I feel very helpless to help out these fine people---a little money , maybe, which is all I can do...but one thing, I am not using this to further any issue I feel strongly about.  I accept this as an incredible tragedy.  Human beings live in extreme conditions day by day---we fool ourselves as our working m.o. into believing otherwise. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2011 - 10:40AM #3
Do_unto_others

johndavid23,

There are already two threads on the Hot Topics board about the quake/tsunami. This makes three. How many threads will it take to satisfy you?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2011 - 1:35PM #4
johndavid23

Go to another board!  maybe.  Note that no search functions on this page will get you there.

But that we cannot discuss and learn from this tragedy, stupid.  It is not a matter of my or your agenda, it is a matter of ceasing to pursue insane politics (like expanding nuke plants, gutting tsunami warnings, wasting resources on meaningless wars).

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2011 - 1:42PM #5
christzen

It's why a World News forum exists,while this one is called the US News/Politics.

Although since the tsunami hit CA,I guess you can tie it in that way.But Japan news isn't US news.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2011 - 3:50PM #6
Find1Answer

I too wonder why there was no thread.    I too tried to get to Hot Topics from here,   can't figure it out.    I didn't think to go to World News but I did type in Japan in the search engines multiple times and only came up with individual posters profiles that had some connection to Japan.         

I also am horrified for the people of Japan and care a great deal but there are important considerations for the US public due to nuclear fallout.       I know that eventually the fallout will reach Los Angeles and my locale receives it's weather from LA.    Yea,   I am concerned for my family and the enviroment.       That does not take away my empathy or compassion for Japan.   

The fact that these issues are politicized are only going to muddy the waters.

Why is the issue of nuclear fallout in the US politicized?     My reasoning is that corporations that make money from nuclear power have politicians that protect their industry.      Obama is a strong ally with the Nuclear industry,   they funded his campaign.

"I don’t care if the federal government is telling me to buy my employees Jack Daniel’s or birth control. What gives them the right to tell me that I have to do that? That’s my issue, that’s what I object to, and that’s the beginning and end of the story."

This hint that Potter had merely swaddled an anti-government rant within a "religious" blanket illustrates the main problem with Justice Samuel Alito's majority opinion in Hobby Lobby: it takes claims of religious scruples for granted.

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-mh-expanded-hobby-lobby-20140702-column.html#page=1
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2011 - 4:18PM #7
christzen

Mar 13, 2011 -- 3:50PM, Find1Answer wrote:

I too wonder why there was no thread.    I too tried to get to Hot Topics from here,   can't figure it out.    I didn't think to go to World News but I did type in Japan in the search engines multiple times and only came up with individual posters profiles that had some connection to Japan.         

I also am horrified for the people of Japan and care a great deal but there are important considerations for the US public due to nuclear fallout.       I know that eventually the fallout will reach Los Angeles and my locale receives it's weather from LA.    Yea,   I am concerned for my family and the enviroment.       That does not take away my empathy or compassion for Japan.   

The fact that these issues are politicized are only going to muddy the waters.

Why is the issue of nuclear fallout in the US politicized?     My reasoning is that corporations that make money from nuclear power have politicians that protect their industry.      Obama is a strong ally with the Nuclear industry,   they funded his campaign.

To get to the Hot Topics area,just click on the Beliefnet Forums link to the left of the News and Politics tab at the top of this forum.The HT zone should be the second area listed.Or you can hit the forums tab on the big orange Community area at the top,and the link to the HT will be in blue around the top right.It is funny to go there and see there is a whole other set of folks who hang out there and never come over here even though the areas are very similar.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2011 - 5:37PM #8
Agnosticspirit

The loss of life, the magnitude of the quake, aftershocks, tsunami, damage are staggering. However, this is the USNP forum. If you would like to discuss this tragedy,  on the USNP forum, please keep comments relevant to USNP. 

Quite a lot to go on, here's a few I'm sure the creative members of USNP forum will have other contributions to maintain the relevance to US News & Politics. 

1.  events like this are the primary reason why I oppose nuclear power. Until we can safely dispose of the waste, nuclear power plants are not only a target for terrorism, but the fallout from natural disaster poses too great a risk to the wellbeing of humans, non-human species, and Big Blue. 

2. Just might be a little regional pride here, but one of the best Search & Rescue teams in the world (from LA County) is heading to Japan after assisting with rescue efforts in NZ. I greatly admire the training it takes, especially the canine units. 

3. Contribute what you can to relief efforts not only because it's the right thing to do, but to maintain our reputation as one of the most generous countries in the world. If your company offers matching contributions for charitable donations, take advantage of it. 

4. The impact of tsunami damage on small coastal towns... 

Kind regards to all and well wishes to the people of Japan. 

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 13, 2011 - 7:05PM #9
rangerken

This thread was moved to World News & Politics

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement