Page 1 of 25  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 25 Next
Switch to Forum Live View 9.0 Earthquake hits Japan
4 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2011 - 2:47AM #1
Stardove

www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/11/japan-...

An 8.9 earthquake hit Japan.  This if following an earthquake yesterday.  A 13 foot tsunami has also hit the island.  All of the Pacific is under a tsunami warning currently.

Wouldn't you know I moved a 10 month old "earthquake" thread to World News today.  :-/

The tsunami destruction is massive since it did hit a populated area. Videos at link.

Cars and houses (buildings) are floating like toothpicks.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2011 - 3:09AM #2
Yavanna

I was watching coverage on CNN. A six meter wall of water carrying solid debris of boats, buildings, cars, etc... even a fire floating on top of the wreckage that's being carried onward. Plenty of cars and people in the way trying to flee.

It's a truly horrifying thing to watch. I hope everyone gets to safety.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2011 - 6:31AM #3
DotNotInOz

Simply horrifying to watch, particularly as Japan is so very densely populated due to being a small country built upon a series of islands.

The Japanese have long since established building codes enabling structures to more readily withstand shocks of this magnitude, but the tsunamis unleashed by under-ocean quakes are much more devastating oftentimes than the quake impact.

With sincerest hopes that the people of this lovely country aren't catastrophically affected by this disaster,

Dot

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2011 - 8:15AM #4
Christianlib

Prayers for the Japanese people.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2011 - 10:52AM #5
teilhard

Amen ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2011 - 12:44PM #6
MSaraTemp

Prayers for all.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2011 - 1:44PM #7
DotNotInOz

Heard on this morning's news that tsunami warnings are in effect for Hawaii as well. Sure hope that the islands aren't hard hit, but of course, I hope that for any landmass in the Pacific that could be impacted by the aftereffects of this massive quake.

Just found a recent report indicating that Hawaii hasn't been badly affected although people have been warned to stay out of the ocean for a while just in case.

www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/NYC-Couple...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2011 - 1:45PM #8
Cesmom

Certainly changes my perspective on all of my "big" problems that seem quite small in comparison.  So sad.  I cannot imagine.

Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2011 - 1:47PM #9
Cesmom

Mar 11, 2011 -- 1:44PM, DotNotInOz wrote:

Heard on this morning's news that tsunami warnings are in effect for Hawaii as well. Sure hope that the islands aren't hard hit, but of course, I hope that for any landmass in the Pacific that could be impacted by the aftereffects of this massive quake.

I just saw on CNN that Hawaii has escaped any major damage.

www.cnn.com/2011/US/03/11/tsunami/index....

Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2011 - 1:48PM #10
DotNotInOz

GMTA, Cesmom. I must've been editing my prior post to add that good news as you were posting it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 25  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 25 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook