Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Sunday Alcohol Sales
4 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2011 - 8:30PM #1
Esdraelon

There is currently a proposal to remove the ban on Sunday alcohol sales here in Georgia.   Georgia is one of only THREE states in the nation to still ban Sunday alcohol sales. Christians, by and large, including myself are against such Sunday sales, but........

I never quite understood the point of legislation ruling when people can  and cannot buy alcohol because, I think, it has little impact as far as when  people drink and don't drink.  I know that if someone wants to  watch a football game on a Sunday, he/she is gonna make sure they get to  the store on Saturday night to buy enough beer.  The bars still are allowed to sell it on Sundays just after 1 pm I think, so what is the difference. I also don't think it has any impact on drunken driving as if the bars and restaurants sell it after 1, people are going to get drunk as usual, and with 10 guys guzzling beer during the Falcons/Packers game, I doubt if there are any designated drivers. If it really had an  impact on when people consume booze, it would make sense but I  don't think it makes sense at all.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2011 - 8:52PM #2
REteach

My daughter lives in Kentucky, where there are several distilleries--but if we go touring on a weekend, we can't buy a bottle.  Really stupid.

What really gets me though is how irate peopel would be if Muslims were the ones banning alcohol sales based on their religious beliefs. 

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2011 - 10:13PM #3
costrel

Mar 4, 2011 -- 8:30PM, Esdraelon wrote:

There is currently a proposal to remove the ban on Sunday alcohol sales here in Georgia.   Georgia is one of only THREE states in the nation to still ban Sunday alcohol sales. Christians, by and large, including myself are against such Sunday sales, but........

How about this, since you and many other Christians do not support the sale of alcohol on Sunday: If people wanted to drink on Sunday, they could go around to a bunch of Catholic and Anglican services and get drunk on the blood of God.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2011 - 10:27PM #4
Ed.W

I'm Catholic and I may want to buy some beer on Sunday.  Or wine.  Or who knows.

I just make sure I fast from all food, tobacco, alcohol for the hour before Mass begins, or it's no Eucharist for me.

I can still buy bullets on when I'm in your state on Sunday can't I?

‘Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.’ --Lao Tzu
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2011 - 10:50PM #5
costrel

Mar 4, 2011 -- 10:27PM, Ed.W wrote:

I just make sure I fast from all food, tobacco, alcohol for the hour before Mass begins, or it's no Eucharist for me.

Well, there's your problem. You're supposed to treat the whole day as sacred and holy, and not just the hour before Mass.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2011 - 1:22AM #6
Ed.W

Mar 4, 2011 -- 10:50PM, costrel wrote:

Well, there's your problem. You're supposed to treat the whole day as sacred and holy, and not just the hour before Mass.

Every day is sacred.  The Mass never ends.  I can see you have been out awhile.

It is required that one fast an hour before the Eucharist, which has to do with reverence to God.

So you are opposed to Sunday alcohol sales? 

‘Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.’ --Lao Tzu
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2011 - 9:29AM #7
costrel

Mar 5, 2011 -- 1:22AM, Ed.W wrote:

Mar 4, 2011 -- 10:50PM, costrel wrote:

Every day is sacred.  The Mass never ends.  I can see you have been out awhile.

It is required that one fast an hour before the Eucharist, which has to do with reverence to God.

So you are opposed to Sunday alcohol sales? 

I was just trying to flippantly and humorously argue things from a Protestant (or pseudo-Protestant?) perspective. You know, the traditional way of spending Sundays: going to church in the morning, reading the Bible and praying in the afternoon, and going to church in the evening.

Now, to be serious: No, I am not opposed to alcohol sales on Sunday. I think that is one of the stupidest of current laws. And the rationalization that I have often heard, even here on Beliefnet among Christians, that alcohol needs to be banned on Sundays because it lowers the incidents of drinking and driving on the weekends is just as stupid. Following that reasoning, we should be banning the sales of alcohol on Fridays and Saturdays too, when people are most apt to drink and drive. Yet according to at least one study published back in 1999 in the Great Falls Tribune, Native American reservations that have banned the sale of alcohol do not have significantly different crime rates, child abuse and neglect rates, and alcohol abuse and alcohol dependence rates than reservations that allow the sale of alcohol (see www.gannett.com/go/difference/greatfalls... ). Prohibition on Native American reservations is not effective, Constitutionally-mandated Prohibition was not effective in the 1920s, and I am quite certain that Sunday Prohibition is not effective either.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2011 - 9:30AM #8
Iwantamotto

I thought it was a stupid law.  If you're against alcohol, you shouldn't be drinking it at any time.  If you're not, then what's the point?

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2011 - 10:24AM #9
Cryano

I live in a moist county surrounded by dry ones. If you want to buy packaged liquor you must drive 40 miles.

But at several restaurants here you can buy 2 mixed drinks if you also order a meal. When the issue of wet/dry was last up for a vote the opposition came from 3 sources. The preachers the bootleggers and the liquor store owners in wet counties. The preachers DID however support the moist option. Their reasoning?

People who buy drinks in a expensive restaurants are mostly tourists. They don't live here. We need not be concerned with them. Supporting the Christian morals of our friends and nabors is our mission.

Christians - you gotta luv'em.

Religion is the longest running most successful con game in history. It works because the victims never realize they have been taken. They die first.

Although certain modern catholics are beginning to see the light.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2011 - 12:19PM #10
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Mar 4, 2011 -- 8:30PM, Esdraelon wrote:

I never quite understood the point of legislation ruling when people can  and cannot buy alcohol because, I think, it has little impact as far as when  people drink and don't drink.  I know that if someone wants to  watch a football game on a Sunday, he/she is gonna make sure they get to  the store on Saturday night to buy enough beer.  The bars still are allowed to sell it on Sundays just after 1 pm I think, so what is the difference. I also don't think it has any impact on drunken driving as if the bars and restaurants sell it after 1, people are going to get drunk as usual, and with 10 guys guzzling beer during the Falcons/Packers game, I doubt if there are any designated drivers. If it really had an  impact on when people consume booze, it would make sense but I  don't think it makes sense at all.

There are probably a lot of things that I am personally against.  Alcohol sales isn't one of them, but what ever floats your boat.

What I don't get though, is the desire to legislate the behavior of someone else to coincide with the behaviors that you are personally against.  Let other people do what they want, as long as it doesn't cause injury to others. 

all

Yesterday, in America, 100 million gun owners did nothing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook