Page 1 of 395  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 395 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Julian Assange free association thread
3 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2011 - 1:20PM #1
Ebon
Assange has lost his initial case against extradition at Belmarsh Magistrate's Court.

A Magistrate's Court is the lowest level of criminal court in the UK (and disproportionatly likely to side with law enforcement). Assuming Assange appeals (which is almost certain), the case will now go to the Crown Court (highest court in a particular jurisdiction), then to the Court of Appeals (Crim. Div.) and then, possibly, to the Supreme Court.

Assange's actual guilt or innocence wll not be judged in any of these courts. The extradition process only judges whether an international warrant has been issued properly, by the appropriate authorities and that the accused will receive due process of law in the nation he is to be extradited to.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12564865
He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2011 - 1:55PM #2
mountain_man

Interesting.... when I interviewed a few hundred prison inmates long ago a common belief that many of them had was that they were being picked on by the authorities. Assange has that same belief.

Having said that, I find the "sex crime" he committed as almost laughable. From the way I heard it he had "consensual sex WITHOUT a condom."

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2011 - 2:02PM #3
Christianlib

AND....even if he is guilty of a sex crime, that has no bearing on the truth or untruth of the materials he has leaked.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2011 - 2:04PM #4
Ebon

I'm deliberately not taking a side on Assange's guil or innocence because I haven't read the case file, very few details have been released and Assange is entitled to be presumed innocent until proven guilty.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2011 - 2:41PM #5
Erey

I saw this the other day and thought of Bnet.  I think some of you would enjoy it, the perspective of Asange from someone who was his roomate for a few months.

blogs.forbes.com/kashmirhill/2011/02/23/...

Granted it is a fluff piece but so witty and funny it makes it worthwhile.  Also, I don't think it desrves it's own thread. 

The piece makes me think of the adage "well behaved women rarely make history".  Of course Asange is not a woman but I think the gist is the same.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2011 - 4:44PM #6
teilhard

Oh, Please ... In the Early 21st Century, ANY reasonably health-safety aware Person OUGHT to object to being subjected to the Body Fluids of another Person unless (s)he has given SPECIFIC  Consent to receive such Body Fluids (and so receive also any and all Viruses, etc., possibly conveyed in/by those Fluids) ...

Hello ... ???  Think about it ... ???

Your Daughter or Son had Intercourse with another Person -- by Consent -- but in the Process was exposed to Body Fluids that he/she did  NOT  CONSENT  to receive ... ???

THAT would be OKAY ... ???

(As the Father of FOUR and The GrandFather of about Ten ... I would OBJECT ... )

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2011 - 4:47PM #7
Christianlib

T,

I don't necessarily disagree with you.  But, at the same time, I agree with Ebon, accusations are not proof.  Let's see what comes out in court, and see if we don't get a little more information about what really happened.

Withholding judgment is not excusing Julian.  It is just waiting for facts instead of speculative and sensationalized news stories.

Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2011 - 4:52PM #8
teilhard

The Wiki-Leaks Guy COUD have settled this Issue (nice Pun, eh ... ???) long ago, but has chosen to drag-it out in Court and in Public ...

(Thus, interestingly, giving U. S. Authorities more Time to figure out how to NAIL him ... Maybe that's what Julian has been looking for all along -- the chance to portray himself as a persecuted Martyr-for-Something-or-Other, maybe, "Freedom-from-Condoms" ... ???)

Feb 24, 2011 -- 4:47PM, Christianlib wrote:

T,

I don't necessarily disagree with you.  But, at the same time, I agree with Ebon, accusations are not proof.  Let's see what comes out in court, and see if we don't get a little more information about what really happened.

Withholding judgment is not excusing Julian.  It is just waiting for facts instead of speculative and sensationalized news stories.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2011 - 4:56PM #9
Christianlib

As I said, idle speculation, on the case, or on individual motives and decisions, is pointless.

I know you dispise the guy and his leaks.  You have every right to that. But I don't think it's wise to let that dislike prejudice your mind on a court case.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2011 - 5:02PM #10
teilhard

Indeed, all ANYONE knows about The Court Case is what has been reported in The Press ...

So ...

Feb 24, 2011 -- 4:56PM, Christianlib wrote:

As I said, idle speculation, on the case, or on individual motives and decisions, is pointless.

I know you dispise the guy and his leaks.  You have every right to that. But I don't think it's wise to let that dislike prejudice your mind on a court case.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 395  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 395 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook