Page 44 of 44  •  Prev 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 44
Switch to Forum Live View Is he being a 'gentleman' or sexist?
4 years ago  ::  Mar 07, 2011 - 10:32AM #431
Cesmom

I would never say that a girl shouldn't be allowed to participate in what has been traditionally a male dominated sport (such as wrestling).  I'm just saying there is nothing wrong with girls teams and boys teams either.

My daughter is athletic.  She plays softball, and she's very good at it.  She doesn't have any desire to play anywhere except on her softball team of girls.  She's never felt slighted or unequal because she plays on a girls softball team rather than a boys baseball team or a co-ed team or whatever.  If the kids who are playing don't have an issue with it, why should it even be an issue?

Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 07, 2011 - 10:44AM #432
Erey

Mar 7, 2011 -- 10:32AM, Cesmom wrote:

I would never say that a girl shouldn't be allowed to participate in what has been traditionally a male dominated sport (such as wrestling).  I'm just saying there is nothing wrong with girls teams and boys teams either.

My daughter is athletic.  She plays softball, and she's very good at it.  She doesn't have any desire to play anywhere except on her softball team of girls.  She's never felt slighted or unequal because she plays on a girls softball team rather than a boys baseball team or a co-ed team or whatever.  If the kids who are playing don't have an issue with it, why should it even be an issue?

That is pretty much it - the fact is most student athelets much, much prefer to play with their own gender.  That is just the way it is and what they are comfortable with  and they feel they can better excell that way.

I don't like this idea of forcing school aged children to change what works for them.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 07, 2011 - 4:18PM #433
writingal1

Jane says--

"Get a life, WG. You weren't a middle-aged salesman who could sell snow to eskimos : actually I never "snowed" a customer. You were a sales clerk, not making megabucks.

When I was in high school I worked a few hours a week in the office of the Catholic Hospital with a little help from my parents and their friends; my mother was a grad of their RN Nursing School. Went downtown to open a checking account the evening downtown was open. A friendly man at the bank behind the railings assisted me. He was the President of the bank and knew my father and grandfather. He didn't care that I was a girl in my high school uniform.

You and I have lived in different realms. Women who excel push the envelope for all women.

I'm happy in my own skin and wish the same for you."

NONE of that has anything to do with the fight for Equality for Women that many a woman and some men engaged in at great cost to their own lives.

NONE of that has anything to do with how much that fight has given to women now--and how much there is--obviously--still to do.

It is really sad that you seem stuck in your pre-Equality era and cannot see just how much has been done for you AND for your daughters and granddaughters--none of which do you seem willing or able to even acknowledge.

Instead you reply to facts (not one word of acknowledgement from you for the historical facts about Law and Medical schools and the states about admitting women for example)  with attempted insults at those of us who know the facts and who work for ever more Equality for Women.

Very very sad....but thanks for showing us just how much remains to be done.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 07, 2011 - 10:08PM #434
jane2

Mar 7, 2011 -- 4:18PM, writingal1 wrote:

Jane says--

"Get a life, WG. You weren't a middle-aged salesman who could sell snow to eskimos : actually I never "snowed" a customer. You were a sales clerk, not making megabucks.

When I was in high school I worked a few hours a week in the office of the Catholic Hospital with a little help from my parents and their friends; my mother was a grad of their RN Nursing School. Went downtown to open a checking account the evening downtown was open. A friendly man at the bank behind the railings assisted me. He was the President of the bank and knew my father and grandfather. He didn't care that I was a girl in my high school uniform.

You and I have lived in different realms. Women who excel push the envelope for all women.

I'm happy in my own skin and wish the same for you."

NONE of that has anything to do with the fight for Equality for Women that many a woman and some men engaged in at great cost to their own lives.

NONE of that has anything to do with how much that fight has given to women now--and how much there is--obviously--still to do.

It is really sad that you seem stuck in your pre-Equality era and cannot see just how much has been done for you AND for your daughters and granddaughters--none of which do you seem willing or able to even acknowledge.

Instead you reply to facts (not one word of acknowledgement from you for the historical facts about Law and Medical schools and the states about admitting women for example)  with attempted insults at those of us who know the facts and who work for ever more Equality for Women.

Very very sad....but thanks for showing us just how much remains to be done.

Too sad for you, perhaps.

You are on a crusade in which I am not engaged in the same way you are. Doesn't mean I wasn't engaged in other ways.

Statistics tend to bore me. Practicality doesn't.

What we really need are more women who are "star" performers, who rise to the top in whatever they do. It takes education, mentoring, personality, yada, yada. These are the women who push the envelope.

Have you been a "star" performer in your careers? Have you risen to the top with a certain panache? Both of my daughters and I have always been "star" performers pushing the edge of the envelope; we've enjoyed the journey.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 07, 2011 - 11:15PM #435
writingal1

And still no recognition of history--of how the Women's Movement led to passage of Title IX--

--and how Title IX changed Women's Equality forever...

And no recognition of how many women--no matter what their achievements--were kept out of Law and Medical Schools by gender prejudice--no matter what "stars" they were.

Sorry that history and facts "bore" you.

For many women that is their reality.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 07, 2011 - 11:27PM #436
Stardove

Ladies, come on....already.  This thread has become to beat each other up and no longer about the original topic.  Can you just agree to disagree and drop it.

Beliefnet Community Moderator

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 07, 2011 - 11:34PM #437
jane2

Mar 7, 2011 -- 11:27PM, Stardove wrote:

Ladies, come on....already.  This thread has become to beat each other up and no longer about the original topic.  Can you just agree to disagree and drop it.

Beliefnet Community Moderator

No problem for me.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 07, 2011 - 11:54PM #438
Stardove

Thank you Jane. 

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2011 - 10:29AM #439
Erey

Just because someone disagrees with you on a topic does not mean that the person is a air-headed southern belle who leave career challenges to the men-folk.  Nor does it mean that the person who disagrees with you is anti-feminist. 

All it means is that you have two people that disagree.  I don't think ANYONE participating on this thread has the credentials to pretend to be the voice of the entire women's movement. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2011 - 4:55PM #440
MMCSFOX

What a boring world this would be if we were all clones of one idea or way of thinking. The challenges and the choosing of a way to live make this life worthwhile.

Jesse F.

I wanted to live the simple life, but figuring it out proved too complex. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 44 of 44  •  Prev 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 44

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook