Post Reply
Page 96 of 96  •  Prev 1 ... 91 92 93 94 95 96
Switch to Forum Live View Wisconsinites take to the streets
4 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2011 - 11:59PM #951
parkin
Posts: 490

There isn't one person who makes up a union. That is a misconception.  Everybody in a union is the union.  It is a big difference. 


We discussed boycotting certain businesses who gave lots of money to Walker.  All of the businesses are really big businesses who don't even pay taxes in our state.  Small businesses are hurt by Walker because he didn't give them any tax breaks at all.  They are further hurt by the cuts Walker proposes because most businesses depend on people having extra money to spend.  Further, they are hurt by Walker's cuts because it will unfavorably effect their families.  Small business owners actually have families in the state. 


They also don't have the kind of extra money that buys favors from Scott Walker so they haven't given him tens of thousands of dollars for Walker's campaign and are not companies we even contimplated on boycotting. 


Big business does need to know that if they interfere with our elections and it is not good for our state, we wil let them know.  But, again, we are not one person.  Any one person - be it a union rep or a president - does not speak for all of us. 


We speak for all of us. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2011 - 8:34AM #952
writingal1
Posts: 3,733

Parkin--oh you and those fACTS. What's wong with you?


Why can't you be more like LAWBREAKER Boytoy Walker supporters and swallow LIES about Walker whole?


Can it be because what Walker does--how many court orders he disobeys and how many laws he breaks actually AFFECTS your life?


Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2011 - 10:56PM #953
MMarcoe
Posts: 16,926

Apr 3, 2011 -- 11:59PM, parkin wrote:


 Small businesses are hurt by Walker because he didn't give them any tax breaks at all.  They are further hurt by the cuts Walker proposes because most businesses depend on people having extra money to spend.  Further, they are hurt by Walker's cuts because it will unfavorably effect their families.  Small business owners actually have families in the state. 





What worries me is that Madison has so many public workers. Thousands of them. If they lose 5 or 6 thousand bucks a year with all these changes, that's really going to mess with our economy. I wonder how many public workers will decide to take on second jobs for the extra income.


 

1. Extremists think that thinking means agreeing with them.
2. There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.
3. God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2011 - 9:20AM #954
Christianlib
Posts: 21,848

And how many "second jobs" are actually available.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2011 - 10:01AM #955
TENAC
Posts: 26,777

Apr 4, 2011 -- 10:56PM, MMarcoe wrote:


Apr 3, 2011 -- 11:59PM, parkin wrote:


 Small businesses are hurt by Walker because he didn't give them any tax breaks at all.  They are further hurt by the cuts Walker proposes because most businesses depend on people having extra money to spend.  Further, they are hurt by Walker's cuts because it will unfavorably effect their families.  Small business owners actually have families in the state. 





What worries me is that Madison has so many public workers. Thousands of them. If they lose 5 or 6 thousand bucks a year with all these changes, that's really going to mess with our economy. I wonder how many public workers will decide to take on second jobs for the extra income.


 





MM, think about that.


If what you say is correct, the question would be do you have an overage of labor for work?  The tax base is not keeping up with compensation in the public sector at one or more levels.  Were it a private entity, you would lay people off or let them go.  In the public sector, you get the pols to raise taxes.


My point is that will absolutely affect your economy negatively.  But wouldnt that be because of the hidden inflation in the public sector?  As I have stated, there is no way to determine a real market value to those jobs.


The economy in good times really wasnt that good, just wealth was being redistributed and that can only last so long until it catches up.


I think its caught up, so when you correct, it will hurt the entire local economy there.


 

Any man can count the seeds in an apple....
.......but only God can count the apples in the seeds.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2011 - 9:25PM #956
MMarcoe
Posts: 16,926

Apr 5, 2011 -- 10:01AM, TENAC wrote:


Apr 4, 2011 -- 10:56PM, MMarcoe wrote:


Apr 3, 2011 -- 11:59PM, parkin wrote:


 Small businesses are hurt by Walker because he didn't give them any tax breaks at all.  They are further hurt by the cuts Walker proposes because most businesses depend on people having extra money to spend.  Further, they are hurt by Walker's cuts because it will unfavorably effect their families.  Small business owners actually have families in the state. 





What worries me is that Madison has so many public workers. Thousands of them. If they lose 5 or 6 thousand bucks a year with all these changes, that's really going to mess with our economy. I wonder how many public workers will decide to take on second jobs for the extra income.


 





MM, think about that.


If what you say is correct, the question would be do you have an overage of labor for work?  The tax base is not keeping up with compensation in the public sector at one or more levels.  Were it a private entity, you would lay people off or let them go.  In the public sector, you get the pols to raise taxes.


I don't know if we have an overage of labor for work. Maybe. I read recently that the proportion of government workers has shot up to ridiculous levels in recent years. From one recent story:


Today in America there are nearly twice as many people working for the government (22.5 million) than in all of manufacturing (11.5 million). This is an almost exact reversal of the situation in 1960, when there were 15 million workers in manufacturing and 8.7 million collecting a paycheck from the government.


online.wsj.com/article/SB100014240527487...


My point is that will absolutely affect your economy negatively.  But wouldnt that be because of the hidden inflation in the public sector?  As I have stated, there is no way to determine a real market value to those jobs.


Why not?


The economy in good times really wasnt that good, just wealth was being redistributed and that can only last so long until it catches up.


I think its caught up, so when you correct, it will hurt the entire local economy there.


Indeed. For example, Madison has more restaurants per capita than any city in the US, and I worked at my fair share of them back in my cooking days. We can expect to see some of them fall by the wayside.


Good thing I live just around the corner from a Goodwill. That place is gonna be hoppin' come next year.





1. Extremists think that thinking means agreeing with them.
2. There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.
3. God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2011 - 10:34AM #957
MMarcoe
Posts: 16,926

It's starting to look like Bush v. Gore here in Wisconsin:


The latest head-scratching tale comes courtesy of Wisconsin, where state Supreme Court Justice David Prosser (pictured) took a significant lead in his re-election bid Thursday when the clerk of a conservative-leaning county reported she failed to count the ballots from a wealthy suburb west of Milwaukee.


The liberal candidate who had just squeaked by with 204 votes was seen as a new counterweight to Walker's agenda, but alas, it looks like that won't be the case.


blogs.wsj.com/law/2011/04/08/well-look-w...


 

1. Extremists think that thinking means agreeing with them.
2. There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.
3. God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2011 - 10:44AM #958
vra
Posts: 6,403

Apr 8, 2011 -- 10:34AM, MMarcoe wrote:


It's starting to look like Bush v. Gore here in Wisconsin:


The latest head-scratching tale comes courtesy of Wisconsin, where state Supreme Court Justice David Prosser (pictured) took a significant lead in his re-election bid Thursday when the clerk of a conservative-leaning county reported she failed to count the ballots from a wealthy suburb west of Milwaukee.


The liberal candidate who had just squeaked by with 204 votes was seen as a new counterweight to Walker's agenda, but alas, it looks like that won't be the case.


blogs.wsj.com/law/2011/04/08/well-look-w...


 




 


I heard this morning on the news that the feds may be brought in to check and make sure there's no irregularity, especially since the woman involved has had some past issues and is a staunch partisan.  It's hard to imagine "forgetting" that many votes at the county level. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 19, 2011 - 4:28PM #959
MMarcoe
Posts: 16,926

As you know, Michigan passed a law that allows the state to take over local governments if they don't pass muster with the dictator in the state capital.


And it's coming to Wisconsin next! Excellent!


michiganmessenger.com/48291/wisconsin-to...


I can't wait to see them try this here in Cheeseland!

1. Extremists think that thinking means agreeing with them.
2. There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.
3. God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 96 of 96  •  Prev 1 ... 91 92 93 94 95 96
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook