Post Reply
Page 4 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Sarkozy joins with Cameron on multiculturalism
4 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2011 - 2:14PM #31
writingal1
Posts: 3,733


Feb 12, 2011 -- 8:05AM, arielg wrote:


 


"If you come to France, you accept to melt into a single community, which is the national community, and if you do not want to accept that, you cannot be welcome in France," the right-wing president said.


 


This is a stupid statement in a country that prides itself in having 400 different kinds of cheeses.


From this point of view, they should "melt" them into one really "French" cheese.


What does it mean  to "melt" into a society? Change one's eating,  dressing or thinking habits? This is such  lame, xenophobic  thinking!


 





 


Ariel--very well said!


 


If the French were really as insular and xenophobic as this thread is trying to make them out to be--would there be so many galleries and shops and museums featuring the arts of Outres Pays as there are in Paris?


What ridiculous assertions are being made by people not the least acquainted with the French....


 


(Synchronistically there is a documentary about Paris being shown on PBS right now....)

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2011 - 2:21PM #32
writingal1
Posts: 3,733

Feb 12, 2011 -- 8:35AM, davelaw40 wrote:


and what does that mean for the Breton , the Basque, or the French Flemish?






And what does it men to the Normans--eh?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2011 - 4:43PM #33
christzen
Posts: 6,569

Feb 12, 2011 -- 2:14PM, writingal1 wrote:



Feb 12, 2011 -- 8:05AM, arielg wrote:


 


"If you come to France, you accept to melt into a single community, which is the national community, and if you do not want to accept that, you cannot be welcome in France," the right-wing president said.


 


This is a stupid statement in a country that prides itself in having 400 different kinds of cheeses.


From this point of view, they should "melt" them into one really "French" cheese.


What does it mean  to "melt" into a society? Change one's eating,  dressing or thinking habits? This is such  lame, xenophobic  thinking!


 





 


Ariel--very well said!


 


If the French were really as insular and xenophobic as this thread is trying to make them out to be--would there be so many galleries and shops and museums featuring the arts of Outres Pays as there are in Paris?


What ridiculous assertions are being made by people not the least acquainted with the French....


 


(Synchronistically there is a documentary about Paris being shown on PBS right now....)




 


It is highly entertaining to watch a poster who feels themself more qualified to speak about French immigration issues than the President of France himself,who is the one quoted as the impetus for this thread.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2011 - 4:51PM #34
writingal1
Posts: 3,733

So you prefer to ignore facts about the French and about their president when they're posted.


 Your choice....


 


We Francophiles follow events in France very closely.


 


But if you don't want factual answers  from us don't ask the questions....

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2011 - 5:02PM #35
christzen
Posts: 6,569

Feb 12, 2011 -- 4:51PM, writingal1 wrote:


So you prefer to ignore facts about the French and about their president when they're posted.


 


Your choice....


But if you don't want factual answers don't ask the question....




 


In a choice between "facts" given by a self proclaimed Beliefnet "expert",and those given by the President of France,I think I will go with the facts presented by the leader of the French people.


 


And it is my choice.And mine is to go with the person who is actually French,is the most powerful Frenchman in the country, and has all the information on the issue.


 


But I still find it highly amusing that you are actually capable of trying to present yourself as qualified to speak on the issue as the President of France.You make my day when you behave in this fashion.LMAO!

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2011 - 5:32PM #36
writingal1
Posts: 3,733

"n a choice between "facts" given by a self proclaimed Beliefnet "expert",and those given by the President of France,I think I will go with the facts presented by the leader of the French people"


 


 


 


Your choice to ignore facts.


If you don't want answers don't ask questions.


 


But Francophiles know that the French president is NOT "The French" any more than the US president "IS" the US....


As a matter of fact the French are quite famous for IGNORING their current presidents--no matter who they are.


They used to snub De Gaul-whom the rest of the world adored after WW2--quite horribly.


 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2011 - 6:31PM #37
christzen
Posts: 6,569

Feb 12, 2011 -- 5:32PM, writingal1 wrote:


"n a choice between "facts" given by a self proclaimed Beliefnet "expert",and those given by the President of France,I think I will go with the facts presented by the leader of the French people"


 


 


 


Your choice to ignore facts.


If you don't want answers don't ask questions.


 


But Francophiles know that the French president is NOT "The French" any more than the US president "IS" the US....


As a matter of fact the French are quite famous for IGNORING their current presidents--no matter who they are.


They used to snub De Gaul-whom the rest of the world adored after WW2--quite horribly.


 





 


My choice is to ignore you.You can claim to an expert in yet another field when it suits your purpose if you wish,but we are not required to accept all your claims of expertise as factual.I for one do not.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2011 - 7:08PM #38
arielg
Posts: 9,116

I don't care where people come from, but once they emigrate and make their home in a new country, they should subscribe to and obey the laws of that country. Mostyn


 


Of course they should obey the laws of the country.  This is strawman.  The laws are applied to them from the beginning, whether they agree with them or not.   There is no need to "acclimatise" or "melt" or start eating or dressing or adopting  the country customs.


That is all it should be required of them. To require that they become imitators of the new country is just ludicrous.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2011 - 8:24PM #39
rabello
Posts: 21,630

What neither Cameron nor Sarkozy have said, as far as I know, is how they are going to do away with discrimination in housing and employment, and dismantle their Muslim "ghettos."


Why is this thread on this board, anyway?  Shouldn't it be on the world news and politics board?    I don't see what either Cameron or Sarkozy has to say about Muslim communities/neighborhoods in Europe has to do with US News and Politics.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2011 - 10:00PM #40
rangerken
Posts: 16,408

This thread was moved from US News & Politics

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook