Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Sarkozy joins with Cameron on multiculturalism
4 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2011 - 8:48AM #1
christzen

As the title says

news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110210/wl_afp/fra...

French President Nicolas Sarkozy declared Thursday that multiculturalism had failed, joining a growing number of world leaders or ex-leaders who have condemned it."My answer is clearly yes, it is a failure," he said in a television interview when asked about the policy which advocates that host societies welcome and foster distinct cultural and religious immigrant groups. 

"Of course we must all respect differences, but we do not want... a society where communities coexist side by side.

"If you come to France, you accept to melt into a single community, which is the national community, and if you do not want to accept that, you cannot be welcome in France," the right-wing president said.

"The French national community cannot accept a change in its lifestyle, equality between men and women... freedom for little girls to go to school," he said.

"We have been too concerned about the identity of the person who was arriving and not enough about the identity of the country that was receiving him," Sarkozy said in the TFI channel show

There is a blurb in this that will prove problematic for those liberals wishing to demonize Sarkozy and others for xenophobia.I will let others see if they can spot it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2011 - 10:02AM #2
Nepenthe

The article does not provide a definition of what 'mulitcultaralism' means when used by Sarkozy.  That would be helpful so that I know how to react to his comments. 

He urged a "more active, muscular liberalism" where equal rights, the rule of law, freedom of speech and democracy are actively promoted to create a stronger national identity

Wait, this wasn't being done already?  Were immigrants just allowed to form little communities where they were able to create their own laws and regulations?  This is what I mean by giving the readers the definition of the term being used by the person being quoted.  I mean, based on this one little article I would have to think that immigrants came to France, banded together in tight knit little areas and were allowed to police themselves based on the culture from where they came.

Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2011 - 1:27PM #3
christzen

I guess if you have issues with the word multiculturalism then you will have to ask Sarkozy,since he used it himself.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2011 - 1:44PM #4
writingal1

"There is a blurb in this that will prove problematic for those liberals wishing to demonize Sarkozy and others for xenophobia.I will let others see if they can spot it."

I guess one has to have a knowledge of HISTORY to understand just how badly France and England screwed over the people in their AFRICAN colonies to the benefit of France and England--

and just how hypocritical they are now that they will NOT give any of the benefits to the people whose coutnries/cultures/lives they screwed over so completely...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2011 - 1:52PM #5
christzen

Feb 11, 2011 -- 1:44PM, writingal1 wrote:

"There is a blurb in this that will prove problematic for those liberals wishing to demonize Sarkozy and others for xenophobia.I will let others see if they can spot it."

I guess one has to have a knowledge of HISTORY to understand just how badly France and England screwed over the people in their AFRICAN colonies to the benefit of France and England--

and just how hypocritical they are now that they will NOT give any of the benefits to the people whose coutnries/cultures/lives they screwed over so completely...

Since the topic is multiculturalism in Europe,I guess this means you support cultures coming to Europe without blending into the societies they live among,and keeping all of the old ways while in new lands.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2011 - 1:55PM #6
arielg

Since  the topic is multiculturalism in Europe,I guess this means you support  cultures coming to Europe without blending into the societies they live  among,and keeping all of the old ways while in new lands.

You mean like France and England "blended" with the cultures they colonized?

Quick Reply

html_removed

Cancel

html_removed

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2011 - 2:02PM #7
christzen

Feb 11, 2011 -- 1:55PM, arielg wrote:

Since  the topic is multiculturalism in Europe,I guess this means you support  cultures coming to Europe without blending into the societies they live  among,and keeping all of the old ways while in new lands.

You mean like France and England "blended" with the cultures they colonized?

So you have no comment on the Arab and other cultures In Europe?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2011 - 2:11PM #8
Jasr

Feb 11, 2011 -- 8:48AM, christzen wrote:

French President Nicolas Sarkozy declared Thursday that multiculturalism had failed, joining a growing number of world leaders or ex-leaders who have condemned it."My answer is clearly yes, it is a failure," he said in a television interview when asked about the policy which advocates that host societies welcome and foster distinct cultural and religious immigrant groups. 

"Of course we must all respect differences, but we do not want... a society where communities coexist side by side.

"If you come to France, you accept to melt into a single community, which is the national community, and if you do not want to accept that, you cannot be welcome in France," the right-wing president said.

Sarkozy did not just come up with this...France has always had a policy of promoting a French identity. They take it to much greater lengths than Britain ever did. It resulted in bans on hijab in schools, etc. In theory, it's an egalitarian, levelling policy. There are certainly some problems with the way it is applied in France, but it's not particularly revolutionary.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2011 - 2:11PM #9
writingal1

Czen says--

"Since the topic is multiculturalism in Europe,I guess this means you support cultures coming to Europe without blending into the societies they live among,and keeping all of the old ways while in new lands."

I "guess this means"--

1--you haven't studied French History and African Colonial History

2--you haven't lived in France.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 11, 2011 - 3:13PM #10
christzen

Feb 11, 2011 -- 2:11PM, writingal1 wrote:

Czen says--

"Since the topic is multiculturalism in Europe,I guess this means you support cultures coming to Europe without blending into the societies they live among,and keeping all of the old ways while in new lands."

I "guess this means"--

1--you haven't studied French History and African Colonial History

2--you haven't lived in France.

So you still have no actual comment except trying to guess things about me that you have no way of knowing.

Since you think you know the above,what is my actual name?You have my permission to give it out if you know it.If you don't even know my name,then how would you know what I have studied or where I have lived?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook