Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
4 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2011 - 5:15PM #1
Erey
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1351174...

LOL Malawai wants to make farting in public a punishable crime. 

The government of Malawi plan to punish persistent offenders 'who foul the air' ( My husband would be in HUGE trouble, he is a repeat offender) in a bid to 'mould responsible and disciplined citizens.'
But locals fear that pinning responsibility on the crime will be difficult - and may lead to miscarriages of justice as 'criminals' attempt to blame others for their offence. (I can totally see that)

'Children will openly deny having passed bad air and point at an elder. Culturally, this is very embarrassing,' she said.  (Yes and so will husbands)
Another said: 'We have serious issues affecting Malawians today. I do not know how fouling the air should take priority over regulating Chinese investments which do not employ locals, serious graft amongst legislators, especially those in the ruling party, and many more.'
The crime will be enforceable in a new 'Local Court' system which will also have powers to punish a range of other crimes in the bill set to be debated in the country's parliament.
These include insulting the modesty of a woman, challenging to fight a duel, and trespassing on a burial place.
It also outlaws pretending to be a fortune teller, according to local press in the country.

Opposition leaders complain the new courts will be 'kangaroo courts'.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2011 - 5:38PM #2
Iwantamotto

Can you imagine being in a tiny courtroom for this sort of issue?  Would a protest be a mass fart?  God, the horror, LOL.  :)

Knock and the door shall open.  It's not my fault if you don't like the decor.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2011 - 5:41PM #3
allthegoodnamesweretaken

You know what I say to that......

Yesterday, in America, 100 million gun owners did nothing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2011 - 5:48PM #4
Erey

LOL!!! 
How the good people of Malawi can debate such a thing with a straight face is utterly beyond me!  I am literally LOLing

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2011 - 7:10PM #5
MMarcoe

How would they gather evidence for this? Produce a jar, put it up to the judge's nose, and open it?

There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.

God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2011 - 9:19PM #6
solfeggio

Long, long ago, when we were kids, we used to sing a little ditty:

'Beans, beans, the musical fruit.  The more you eat, the more you toot.'

It was right up there in popularity with 'I'm a little teapot, short and stout; here is my handle, here is my spout.'

Do kids still sing that one?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2011 - 9:23PM #7
Erey

Jan 31, 2011 -- 9:19PM, solfeggio wrote:

Long, long ago, when we were kids, we used to sing a little ditty:

'Beans, beans, the musical fruit.  The more you eat, the more you toot.'

It was right up there in popularity with 'I'm a little teapot, short and stout; here is my handle, here is my spout.'

Do kids still sing that one?

Yes

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2011 - 9:49PM #8
Ken

Jan 31, 2011 -- 7:13PM, jane2 wrote:

Jan 31, 2011 -- 5:48PM, Erey wrote:

LOL!!! 
How the good people of Malawi can debate such a thing with a straight face is utterly beyond me!  I am literally LOLing

So why post this in the first place?

Because it could have very serious diplomatic repercussions. What if a foreign national were arrested and found guilty under this law?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2011 - 9:53PM #9
Erey

Jan 31, 2011 -- 9:49PM, Ken wrote:

LOL!!! 

Because it could have very serious diplomatic repercussions. What if a foreign national were arrested and found guilty under this law?

LOL!!  Can you imagine that?

What an idealic and sweet place Malawi must be to have farting as one of their top societal concerns.  I am just trying to imagine them debating this on their parlimant or whatever floor trying to rail against the evils of public gas passing and something must be done!

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 31, 2011 - 9:55PM #10
jane2

Jan 31, 2011 -- 9:49PM, Ken wrote:

LOL!!! 

Don't visit Malawi.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook