Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 4 of 73  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 73 Next
Switch to Forum Live View OUTLAW BULLETS NOW!!! GUNS WITHOUT AMMO CAN NOT HARM ANYONE!!!!!!
7 years ago  ::  Jan 10, 2011 - 10:59PM #31
Do_unto_others

Jan 10, 2011 -- 5:18PM, allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:

Fear, rhetoric, and ignorance. 

All the OP is.

I disagree. The bullet that was used to shoot Congresswoman Giffords cost 22 cents at Wal-Mart. ALL of the fear and ignorance and rhetoric is coming from the pro-gun violence crowd. And, they seem to 'think' the solution is even MORE guns. That's just nutso thinking, imo.

Raise the price of bullets to, say, the cost of a FUNERAL and people would think twice about using them.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 10, 2011 - 11:02PM #32
Peter_d_roman

... at the very least

>o

Jan 10, 2011 -- 10:59PM, Do_unto_others wrote:

Jan 10, 2011 -- 5:18PM, allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:

Fear, rhetoric, and ignorance. 

All the OP is.

I disagree. The bullet that was used to shoot Congresswoman Giffords cost 22 cents at Wal-Mart. ALL of the rear and ignorance and rhetoric is coming from the pro-gun violence crowd. And, they seem to 'think' the solution is even MORE guns. That's just nutso thinking, imo.

Raise the price of bullets to, say, the cost of a FUNERAL and people would think twice about using them.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 10, 2011 - 11:05PM #33
Stardove

Does anyone know or care to guess how many times guns/gun control topics have been discussed at the HTZ? 

More than I care to remember is my answer.  Frown

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove

People change for two main reasons: either their minds have been opened or their hearts have been broken.
---Anonymous

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 10, 2011 - 11:06PM #34
Roodog

Jan 10, 2011 -- 9:20PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Jan 10, 2011 -- 7:27PM, rabello wrote:

Arizona has some of the most lax gun laws in the entire country.  This kid didn't even need a permit to carry a concealed weapon.

He wouldn't have been able to get a 30-round magazine clip back when the assault weapons ban was in place, today he could. 

The assault weapons ban didn't do anything but cater to the sheer lack of factual reasoning -- couched in emotion -- driving the extreme anti-gun mentality. Hence, it wasn't renewed.

As I've pointed out before, "type" weapons bans are stupid and pointless. They make no real difference. A standard hunting shotgun -- five round capacity -- could have wreaked just as much, actually -- probably far more havoc and carnage in a scenerio such as this, with a lunatic unloading at near point-blank range into a tightly-grouped crowd. In fact, in the wake of World War One, the Germans were so appauled by the rate at which shotguns -- used by American troops -- could pile up corpses in short-to-moderate range engagements, they lobbied that they be banned from all future armed conflicts.

Anyway, the point is, there are no "good" or "bad" types of firearms or magaiznes. Only evil intent.

If the Krauts caught a Doughboy with a scattergun, they'd shoot him on the spot. To them it was a war crime.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 10, 2011 - 11:10PM #35
Roodog

We have a quirky law in the Bill of Rights,Peter, that won't let Congress do that.

It's called the Second Amendment.

It would have to be repealed and states like Arizona won't let that happen.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 10, 2011 - 11:15PM #36
rabello

Jan 10, 2011 -- 11:10PM, Roodog wrote:

We have a quirky law in the Bill of Rights,Peter, that won't let Congress do that.

Or....it could be interpreted correctly, by the court, where the first phrase of the compound sentence is given as much weight as the second phrase of the compound sentence is automatically given.  I know it won't happen in my lifetime.  

Don't see why the assault weapons ban can't be reinstated, "cop killer" bullets banned, and more effective regulations installed, nationwide, though -- and some of the other things advised by Do_unto_others

Black Lives Matter
Muslim Lives Matter
There is no such thing as "illegals"
LGBT Lives Matter
Poor Women's Lives Matter

"If we jump too quickly to the universal formulation, 'all lives matter,' then we miss the fact that black people have not yet been included in the idea of 'all lives.'"

--Professor Judith Butler
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 10, 2011 - 11:24PM #37
Roodog

Jan 10, 2011 -- 11:15PM, rabello wrote:

Or....it could be interpreted correctly, by the court, where the first phrase of the compound sentence is given as much weight as the second phrase of the compound sentence is automatically given.  I know it won't happen in my lifetime.  

Don't see why the assault weapons ban can't be reinstated, "cop killer" bullets banned, and more effective regulations installed, nationwide, though -- and some of the other things advised by Do_unto_others

If the Second Amendment was vigorously applied, the law would require gun buyers to join the military and oblige veterans like myself to own a military style rifle.

St. Thomas Aquinas

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 10, 2011 - 11:33PM #38
Peter_d_roman

im a vet too   20 yrs 5 mos u s army

and to my reading no ammo is spoken of in the 2nd

>o

Jan 10, 2011 -- 11:24PM, Roodog wrote:

If the Second Amendment was vigorously applied, the law would require gun buyers to join the military and oblige veterans like myself to own a military style rifle.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 10, 2011 - 11:34PM #39
teilhard

Unfortunately The Right-Wing-Activist SCOTUS recently decided otherwise ...

They like Strict Construction and Original Intent when it SUITS them ...

Jan 10, 2011 -- 11:24PM, Roodog wrote:

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 10, 2011 - 11:39PM #40
rabello

Jan 10, 2011 -- 11:34PM, teilhard wrote:

Unfortunately The Right-Wing-Activist SCOTUS recently decided otherwise ...

They like Strict Construction and Original Intent when it SUITS them ...

I know...those conservative "activist judges".....30 years of effort gone, poof, just like that.....what a slap in the face that is to James Brady, who was permanently disabled by a bullet from an easily obtained weapon by somebody who shouldn't have had one (as usual)

Black Lives Matter
Muslim Lives Matter
There is no such thing as "illegals"
LGBT Lives Matter
Poor Women's Lives Matter

"If we jump too quickly to the universal formulation, 'all lives matter,' then we miss the fact that black people have not yet been included in the idea of 'all lives.'"

--Professor Judith Butler
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 73  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 73 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook