Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Most influential people of 2010
4 years ago  ::  Jan 07, 2011 - 2:50PM #1
solfeggio

Well, this is a list of most influential people according to Twitter, anyway, so you have to take that into consideration.

However, it is an interesting collection, as you can see:

klout.com/blog/2010/12/most-influential-...

You'll note that the president is in first place, as one might expect, but second place goes to some fellow named Justin Bieber.  Who on earth is that? And why would he be considered influential?

Also, I was very surprised to see the names of Sarah Palin and George Bush on this list.  Sarah Palin and George Bush?  Come ON!  Give me a break.

I can see where Steve Jobs would be considered influential.

But Glenn Beck and Lady Gaga?  Words fail me.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 07, 2011 - 2:55PM #2
mainecaptain

It is terrible how easily lead by the nose  some people are.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 07, 2011 - 2:56PM #3
Erey

Jan 7, 2011 -- 2:50PM, solfeggio wrote:

Well, this is a list of most influential people according to Twitter, anyway, so you have to take that into consideration.

You'll note that the president is in first place, as one might expect, but second place goes to some fellow named Justin Bieber.  Who on earth is that? And why would he be considered influential?

Also, I was very surprised to see the names of Sarah Palin and George Bush on this list.  Sarah Palin and George Bush?  Come ON!  Give me a break.

Well you have to admit that Beck has certainly been mighty influential on these boards!!  A sustantial amount of the diolgoue here is devoted to Beck.

I can also see Lady Gaga, she is something special talent wise.  She does not exactly scratch my itch but I can understand the hoopla

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 07, 2011 - 3:17PM #4
piecesofthewhole

Jan 7, 2011 -- 2:56PM, Erey wrote:

I can also see Lady Gaga, she is something special talent wise.  She does not exactly scratch my itch but I can understand the hoopla

I like the words you used.  :-)

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 07, 2011 - 4:03PM #5
Stardove

Seriously?  Justin Bieber is the youngest winner of the AMA American Music Awards Artist of the Year.

Influential in a positive or a negative way?  Palin, Bush, Beck would make my negative list. 

Don't really care for Lady Gaga, either.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 07, 2011 - 4:40PM #6
Girlchristian

I can see Lady Gaga simply because she's all over the place these days (and she did wear that meat dress).

Glenn Beck is a buffoon.

Justin Bieber makes me cringe. His voice and songs are like nails on a chalkboard to me.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 07, 2011 - 6:04PM #7
Ken

Justin Bieber is a floppy-haired twink of no importance. The only Bieber of the slightest musical merit is Heinrich Ignaz von Bieber (or Biber).

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 09, 2011 - 5:52AM #8
Yavanna

Influence is influence, be it positive or negative, for adults or for children. Annoying Justin is absolutely worthy of making the list, much as I'm loath to admit.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 09, 2011 - 6:40AM #9
Ebon

How is any pop star "influential" to anyone except other pop stars? Don't misunderstand, I'm not saying "shut up and sing" (and not just because it's a stupid contradiction), they have as much right to voice their opinion as anyone but why should anyone care what their opinion on non-music matters are? In fact, you can extend that to stars in general. I like Bruce Sprinsteen's music but his opinion on politics is unlikely to be much more worthwhile than that of any other reasonably intelligent layman. Seeking the advice of Kurt Angle on any subject other than wrestling (or possibly, fighting in general) is going to be pretty dull because his expertise in one area doesn't make him an expert in unrelated areas.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 09, 2011 - 3:13PM #10
Yavanna

Jan 9, 2011 -- 6:40AM, Ebon wrote:

How is any pop star "influential" to anyone except other pop stars? Don't misunderstand, I'm not saying "shut up and sing" (and not just because it's a stupid contradiction), they have as much right to voice their opinion as anyone but why should anyone care what their opinion on non-music matters are? In fact, you can extend that to stars in general. I like Bruce Sprinsteen's music but his opinion on politics is unlikely to be much more worthwhile than that of any other reasonably intelligent layman. Seeking the advice of Kurt Angle on any subject other than wrestling (or possibly, fighting in general) is going to be pretty dull because his expertise in one area doesn't make him an expert in unrelated areas.

I don't have any answers for you. Only the facts that they do influence people. You're also making this about politics. There's different types of influence. How kids dress, think, act, speak and what they watch, want to listen to, ask their parents to buy, etc... are all affected by celebrity. This influences the adult world in turn, affecting corporations, retail outlets, jobs, taxes and so on.

It's a circle of life sort of thing.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel