Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View BP Oil Spill in Gulf Avoidable
4 years ago  ::  Jan 05, 2011 - 11:56PM #1
jane2

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12124...

Thought an article from the BBC, although based on American findings might be interesting.

From the article :

The BBC's Iain Mackenzie said the report is "incredibly critical" of all of the companies involved.

The companies involved in the BP oil spill had made decisions to cut costs and save time that contributed to the disaster, a US panel has found.

In a 48-page report, the presidential commission wrote that the failures were "systemic" and likely to recur without industry and government reform.

But it said BP did not have adequate controls in place to ensure safety.

The April blast aboard the Deepwater Horizon rig killed 11 people and caused one of the worst oil spills in history.

The Macondo well, about a mile under the sea's surface, eventually leaked millions of gallons of oil into the Gulf of Mexico, damaging hundreds of miles of coastline before it was capped in July.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 06, 2011 - 1:49AM #2
Stardove

Eleven people dead and the Gulf shores will take decades to recover all to save a few bucks. Money mouth

Money grubbing blood sucking BP,  Halliburton, and Transocean creeps need to be tried for murder, and I am being nice!

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 06, 2011 - 8:50AM #3
Christianlib

If corporations are "persons", there's a bunch of persons who need to go to jail.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 06, 2011 - 8:58AM #4
TemplarS

Jan 5, 2011 -- 11:56PM, jane2 wrote:

In a 48-page report, the presidential commission wrote that the failures were "systemic" and likely to recur without industry and government reform.

Interesting to see what the new folks runnning the House will have to say...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 06, 2011 - 8:59AM #5
Hatman

Jan 6, 2011 -- 8:50AM, Christianlib wrote:

If corporations are "persons", there's a bunch of persons who need to go to jail.

There's no "if," and you're right---but corporations, themselves, cannot go to jail.  The board members can and should, but likely won't: money speaks with an eloquence that Shakespeare could only envy.  But this is yet another reason why i think that a large body of American law needs to be corrected; corporations are NOT persons, they are business tools, fictional conveniences, THINGS.  Why should fictional things have rights ab initio?  What's next?  The fiction section of the library?

With goodwill to all the People-

Hatman

"History records that the moneychangers have used every form of abuse, deceit, intrigue, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money and it's issuance."
-- James Madison(1751-1836), Father of the Constitution for the USA, 4th US President
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 06, 2011 - 9:09AM #6
Christianlib

That's what I was getting at, Hat. Obviously, a "corporation" can't be sent to jail.  But those who make the decisions, and those who knowingly profit from the malfeasance can and should.

Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 06, 2011 - 9:26AM #7
JoliverJOLLY

Jan 6, 2011 -- 9:09AM, Christianlib wrote:

That's what I was getting at, Hat. Obviously, a "corporation" can't be sent to jail.  But those who make the decisions, and those who knowingly profit from the malfeasance can and should.

I had an idea about this, the corporations under the law are people today and have the rights of people. and a person you can charge with a crime.

If you saw everyone that worked for the corporation as being a tiny part of that person, then everyone in the corporation could be fined or imprisoned, say the bourd is the head, the management are the hands arms and legs, the rest of the work force were the body. You prosicute the whole body but the parts most responsible take the greatests punishment.

So the body and uninvolved legs and arms spend one day in prison, the arms or legs involved, 3 years maybe, and the head 10 years.

Ofcourse it would depend on how many years the body gets in prison, if a corporation was given 500 year sentence and all the body workers did a day each, that could knock off a lot of years depending on number of workers.    

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 06, 2011 - 9:28AM #8
Christianlib

The modern American corporation has become basically a way to privatize gain and socialize loss.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 06, 2011 - 9:49AM #9
mecdukebec
Saying that an oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico was bound to happen, is like asserting that, electing George W. Bush, God was bound to order Him to invade Iraq.

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 06, 2011 - 10:31AM #10
JoliverJOLLY

Jan 6, 2011 -- 9:49AM, mecdukebec wrote:

Saying that an oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico was bound to happen, is like asserting that, electing George W. Bush, God was bound to order Him to invade Iraq.

You're right :-)

Although I think, Bush was bound to say God told him to. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook