3 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2010 - 9:55AM #1
Callsignowl

IT seems to me that people place a high value on faith, praising those who say they have it, be it towards God or what not. By definition, faith is believing in something that cannot be proven.  But why is that good? I haven't really heard a good answer for this question yet.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 09, 2010 - 7:51PM #2
Justme333

I guess I have not seen people being praised (solely) because they have faith.  I view faith as a personal thing, but can also see it as a positive thing often held by people with positive attitudes.  I have faith that the sun will rise tomorrow - I cannot prove that it will, but I am an optimist.  I have faith that the car will start on bitterly cold mornings - once it does start it is no longer faith.  I have faith in a lot of things that make my life easier by not worrying about things I have no control over, so in that aspect I think faith can be called good. My faith in God is only one of those things.

Justme

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there."  Will Rogers

"Give to those who ask, and don't turn away from those who want to borrow."  Matthew 5:42

"Charity is no substitute for justice withheld."         St. Augustine

"Your love for God is only as great as the love you have for the person you love least."  Dorothy Day

"If you want peace, work for justice." Pope Paul VI
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 17, 2011 - 5:06PM #3
Nonchristianheaven

Faith is what you believe in. What you believe in may be good for you only.

Outsiders may see your faith as bad, who knows?

I would rather be good, than my faith be good.

I can do something good, my faith can do nothing but exist as an idea or ideal.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 30, 2011 - 10:20AM #4
Karma_yeshe_dorje

It isn't.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 06, 2011 - 1:51AM #5
Fae

The faith you are talking about is what I call "Blind Faith". And yes, I also believe it is not a good thing.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook