Post Reply
Page 35 of 35  •  Prev 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35
Switch to Forum Live View Candidate Criticised for Wearing SS Uniform
4 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2010 - 4:33PM #341
Yavanna
Posts: 3,149

Oct 22, 2010 -- 11:16AM, rabello wrote:


Oct 22, 2010 -- 8:03AM, Guessses wrote:


As CL has stated, (paraphrased), Playing "Cowboys and Indians" does not make one such.




Sorry, but I'm not talking about "cowboys and Indians" -- are you? 


I'm talking about dressing up as a Nazi and then commemorating what they did -- commemorating THAT, for whatever reason, in America!


You made a statement people couldn't do anything about the state of the things so shouldn't worry since "we're all gonna die" sooner or later, and I disagree.  I was talking about what people CAN do when they take offense to memorializing and commemorating Nazi battles in America.    Hope that clears it up.




So just to clarify, Nazi genocide is worse than U.S. genocide?

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2010 - 4:36PM #342
Christianlib
Posts: 21,848

Remember back a few posts when we talked about the absurdity of False Equivalency?


 


But, please, any of you who want to dress up as Nazis, do so.  It will make you easier to identify.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2010 - 4:59PM #343
solfeggio
Posts: 8,897

Yes, not just Americans,but all the rest of us who are lucky enough to live in the industrialised West, take for granted all the amenities of modern life, including, of course, affordable health care.


I am very pleased to know that good people are building a hospital in the Congo, where it must be sorely needed, and I hope that it will provide at least some measure of decent medical care for the local people.


Some years back, the old ER television programme used to devote an episode sometimes to showing the doctors going to Africa to volunteer their services with Doctors Without Borders in remote villages and towns.  Those episodes were actually filmed in Africa, in a place called Kisangani, and the stories were harrowing in the extreme.  As if people didn't have enough problems just getting to the medical camps, they had to deal with rebels on the roads shooting at them.


I was very moved by those 'Africa' episodes, and my admiration for Doctors Without Borders was absolute.


If only....the billions that the U.S. government spends on military supplies in the Middle East wars could be used instead to build hospitals and clinics, and roads and wells for communities in African nations....


 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2010 - 8:33PM #344
Guessses
Posts: 2,233

Oct 22, 2010 -- 4:33PM, Yavanna wrote:


Oct 22, 2010 -- 11:16AM, rabello wrote:


Oct 22, 2010 -- 8:03AM, Guessses wrote:


As CL has stated, (paraphrased), Playing "Cowboys and Indians" does not make one such.




Sorry, but I'm not talking about "cowboys and Indians" -- are you? 


I'm talking about dressing up as a Nazi and then commemorating what they did -- commemorating THAT, for whatever reason, in America!


You made a statement people couldn't do anything about the state of the things so shouldn't worry since "we're all gonna die" sooner or later, and I disagree.  I was talking about what people CAN do when they take offense to memorializing and commemorating Nazi battles in America.    Hope that clears it up.




So just to clarify, Nazi genocide is worse than U.S. genocide?




I'm not sure the Native Americans would agree, but "ok".


 

Infinite Blessings
Mike/NAFOD
"Lord, please, protect me from Your followers!"
"WWBD? Buddha- Does it matter? If you are enlightened it does not. If you are not enlightened it still doesn't matter."
"If you go looking to place blame, eventually you'll wind up blaming the Gods"
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2010 - 8:36PM #345
Guessses
Posts: 2,233

Oct 22, 2010 -- 11:16AM, rabello wrote:


Oct 22, 2010 -- 8:03AM, Guessses wrote:


As CL has stated, (paraphrased), Playing "Cowboys and Indians" does not make one such.




Sorry, but I'm not talking about "cowboys and Indians" -- are you? 


I'm talking about dressing up as a Nazi and then commemorating what they did -- commemorating THAT, for whatever reason, in America!


You made a statement people couldn't do anything about the state of the things so shouldn't worry since "we're all gonna die" sooner or later, and I disagree.  I was talking about what people CAN do when they take offense to memorializing and commemorating Nazi battles in America.    Hope that clears it up.




Let's get one thing clear, I'm NOT for "Real Battles" or "Mock Battles", however can you have a "battle" where everybody is the "good guys"?!

Infinite Blessings
Mike/NAFOD
"Lord, please, protect me from Your followers!"
"WWBD? Buddha- Does it matter? If you are enlightened it does not. If you are not enlightened it still doesn't matter."
"If you go looking to place blame, eventually you'll wind up blaming the Gods"
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2010 - 9:14PM #346
Yavanna
Posts: 3,149

Oct 22, 2010 -- 8:33PM, Guessses wrote:


Oct 22, 2010 -- 4:33PM, Yavanna wrote:


Oct 22, 2010 -- 11:16AM, rabello wrote:


Oct 22, 2010 -- 8:03AM, Guessses wrote:


As CL has stated, (paraphrased), Playing "Cowboys and Indians" does not make one such.




Sorry, but I'm not talking about "cowboys and Indians" -- are you? 


I'm talking about dressing up as a Nazi and then commemorating what they did -- commemorating THAT, for whatever reason, in America!


You made a statement people couldn't do anything about the state of the things so shouldn't worry since "we're all gonna die" sooner or later, and I disagree.  I was talking about what people CAN do when they take offense to memorializing and commemorating Nazi battles in America.    Hope that clears it up.




So just to clarify, Nazi genocide is worse than U.S. genocide?




I'm not sure the Native Americans would agree, but "ok".


 





I wouldn't either. That's why I'm confused.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2010 - 6:03AM #347
Merope
Posts: 9,297

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.


 

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 35 of 35  •  Prev 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook