Page 1 of 40  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 40 Next
Switch to Forum Live View
Locked: Rachel Corrie Trial Continues in Israel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 08, 2010 - 2:15PM #1
BDboy

Hi everyone,

probably most of you heard of an American peace activist "Rachel Corrie". Wanted to have your opinion on it. Was she right to peacefully protest against Israeli policies or she posed a threat to the state of Israel? Her case still continues in Israel ...........

Her family is still waiting for justice

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 08, 2010 - 2:54PM #2
rocketjsquirell

BD

At best, Rachel Corrie was a dupe and a pawn of Palestinian terrorists. It is unfortuante that she was taken advantage of and the accident in which she was killed was tragic. 

"The International Solidarity Movement (ISM) is a Palestinian-run organization that lures its members into war zones to act as human shields in obstructing counter-terrorism efforts.The ISM describes itself as a peaceful humanitarian group, but in reality it is sympathetic to terrorist tactics and lures well-intentioned, idealistic young adults to the Palestinian Territories to promote its anti-Israel views. The ISM then knowingly leads its members into war zones, placing them directly in harm's way as human shields in an attempt to obstruct Israel's counterterrorism operations."

rachelcorriefacts.org/default.aspx

The Case Against Rachel Corrie

by Bruce S. Ticker

. . .

my chief objection to Corrie and her pals with the International Solidarity Movement was their interference with Israeli military activities. Most are foreigners who endanger lives by the simple act of stepping foot into the middle of a war zone. They put the lives of everyone - themselves, Israeli troops and the Arabs they purport to help - at risk in an already tense and volatile situation.

There have been political means at their disposal to address their concerns for the last few years, but they have not bothered to employ them.

. . .

www.israelnationalnews.com/Articles/Arti...

Rachel Corrie Wasn’t the Only ISM Member Playing Chicken with a Bulldozer That Day (PJM Exclusive)

At least two of her colleagues had placed themselves under the tractor's maw on that day in 2003. Russian roulette was apparently the group's strategy.

. . .

Corrie’s death took place in the midst of the “intifada” terrorist onslaught against Israel and that she was working for a Palestinian-led organization as the first line of defense against Israel’s Operation Defensive Shield to stop terrorist suicide bombers. Just ten days before Corrie’s death, a Palestinian suicide bomber blew up a bus in Haifa, a few miles from the courthouse where the Corrie parents are suing Israel. Seventeen Israelis died in the attack, many of them teenagers.

Today, the parents of the dead are outraged by the attention Rachel Corrie is getting and by the chutzpah of the Corries embracing Israeli courts to rail against the country Rachel Corrie loathed.

The Palestinian-led group — International Solidarity Movement (ISM) — enlisted dozens of “internationals,” including Corrie, to serve as support troops. ISM admits that it “recognizes the Palestinian right to resist Israeli violence and occupation via legitimate armed struggle.” ISM’s creed translated into action: In May 2002, ten ISM members rushed into the Church of the Nativity to serve as human shields for Palestinian terrorists holed up there and desecrating the holy site. In Jenin in March 2003, an ISM woman hid a wanted Islamic Jihad terrorist, Shadi Sukiya, from the Israeli army. In Gaza in April 2003, two terrorists “had tea” with ISM members before they embarked on their mission to blow up Mike’s Place, a bar in Tel Aviv, five days later.

. . .

On the day of Corrie’s death, the new ISM aggressive actions involved placing themselves in severe danger. Eyewitness reports recorded immediately after Corrie’s death prove that the ISMers had knowingly decided to put themselves in harm’s way.

. . .

The result of ISM’s aggressive actions and Corrie’s carelessness was tragically predictable. Wrote Hammer:

The IDF “makes a credible case that the operators, peering out through narrow, double-glazed, bulletproof windows, their view obscured behind pistons and the giant scooper, might not have seen Corrie kneeling in front of them.”

There’s no doubt this is well-organized “lawfare” against Israel. Craig Corrie told the Israeli Yediot newspaper last week that they cannot take their case to the International Court until after exhausting all legal measures in Israel. Father Corrie’s intention is clear.

After reviewing the case, another suit should be brought: the International Solidarity Movement should be on trial, not Israel. ISM founder George Rishmaw told the San Francisco Chronicle that Corrie was cannon fodder for the organization:

When Palestinians get shot by Israeli soldiers, no one is interested anymore. But if some of these foreign volunteers get shot or even killed, then the international media will sit up and take notice.

pajamasmedia.com/blog/rachel-corrie-wasn...

Moderated by Beliefnet_community on Oct 10, 2010 - 01:27PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 08, 2010 - 10:10PM #3
LeahOne

As Rocket stated.

Corrie was the same flavor of 'peace activist' as the people sawing railings apart on the Mavi Marmora to use like metal clubs on the IDF boarding.....the people who sent the captain and others below and basically took over the MM at that point.

Moderated by Beliefnet_community on Oct 10, 2010 - 01:27PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 09, 2010 - 11:23AM #4
BDboy

"The International Solidarity Movement (ISM) is a  Palestinian-run organization that lures its members into war zones to  act as human shields in obstructing counter-terrorism efforts.

>>>>> OK. So you are saying because it is a "Palestinian" run organization, they should be dismissed? I am a bit confused!!

I support all sort of "Counter-terrorism" efforts by all countries all over the world. But I thought it was Israeli army who were taking over more lands from Palestinians [ That is what the news said] and Rachel was un armed and in front of a bulldozer.

I hope Palestinians don't learn from Israeli folks this "Counter terrorism" technique. Then they have to come up with an army and bulldozers and take up Israeli homes.

I am open to listen to your thoughts but it is not making any sense. Embarassed

The  ISM describes itself as a peaceful humanitarian group, but in reality  it is sympathetic to terrorist tactics and lures well-intentioned,  idealistic young adults to the Palestinian Territories to promote its  anti-Israel views.

>>>>>> This is disturbing. I hope Israel do not follow such awful practices and recruit well-intended, idealistic young people to do any dirty/unethical work for it. ISM should explain their mission clearly and let people make up their mind.

I took the article from "Christian Science Monitor" of the USA. Are they working with Palestinians now a days? I deliberately avoided any Palestinian sources and wanted to get some honest opinions only.

There have been political means at their disposal to address their  concerns for the last few years, but they have not bothered to employ  them.

>>>>> I agree. Political means are better than any sort of confrontations.

Rachel Corrie Wasn’t the Only ISM Member Playing Chicken with a Bulldozer That Day (PJM Exclusive)

>>>> Is the writer making fun of Rachel here? Playing chicken? Heck, she is dead now. How about showing some decency here?

At least two of her colleagues had placed  themselves under the tractor's maw on that day in 2003. Russian roulette  was apparently the group's strategy.

>>>>> Guess the tractor driver should be little more careful too. Just trying to be fair to both parties.....

by the attention Rachel  Corrie is getting and  by the chutzpah of the Corries embracing Israeli  courts to rail against  the country Rachel Corrie loathed.

>>>>>> Do they have any choice to go to any other countrs?

In  Jenin in March 2003, an ISM woman hid a  wanted Islamic Jihad  terrorist, Shadi Sukiya, from the Israeli army. In  Gaza in April 2003,  two terrorists “had tea” with ISM members before  they embarked on their  mission to blow up Mike’s Place, a bar in Tel  Aviv, five days later.

>>>>>> WOW!!

This is great reporting. This Bruce Ticker fellow is a terrorist too? It seems like he spent a lot of time to with these "Terrorists" too. Otherwise how would he gotten all these "Detailed" ( Who had a tea with whom) information? Any clues?

On the  day of Corrie’s death, the new ISM aggressive actions involved  placing  themselves in severe danger. Eyewitness reports recorded  immediately  after Corrie’s death prove that the ISMers had knowingly  decided to put  themselves in harm’s way.

>>>>> I think Israel and supporters should take advantage of it and let an international organization review it. So the people who do not like Jews cannot blame Israel for wrongful death of peace activist Rachel. This may save more innocent lives in future as well.

There’s no doubt this is well-organized “lawfare”  against Israel. Craig Corrie told the Israeli Yediot newspaper last week that they cannot take their case to the   International Court until after exhausting all legal measures in Israel.   Father Corrie’s intention is clear.

>>>>> I thought you said father Corrie cannot go to international court even if he wanted to. What choices he has to find out about "What went wrong"?.....

After  reviewing the case, another suit should be brought: the  International  Solidarity Movement should be on trial, not Israel. ISM  founder George Rishmaw told the San Francisco Chronicle that  Corrie was cannon fodder for the organization:

>>>>>> The name "George Rishmaw" sounds like Christian name. I used to think all of them terrorists were Muslims. I learnt something new today. Thanks.

Shalom.

Moderated by Beliefnet_community on Oct 10, 2010 - 01:22PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 09, 2010 - 9:59PM #5
rocketjsquirell

BD

While Israel is the Jewish National Homeland, it does not have an official state religion and is a secular, multi-ethnic, liberal, democracy.

Your comments concerning the reasons for the re-establishment of the State of Israel reveal that you have no knowledge of Zionism or the founding of the modern state. Should you wish to learn about these topics, I would be more than happy to help you.

However, it seems your post and comments are politically motivated and therefore belong on the Middle East forum. It also appears that you are uninterested in understanding the background to the events surrounding the Rachel Corrie affair or understanding what the affair was about or that you have any interest in anyone's opinion concerning the affair than your own. That is certainly your prerogative. However, I suggest that you ask the people responsible for the death of Rachel Corrie, why they were so willing to place her life in jeopardy and why they held her life of so little concern. Then again, terrorists, such as those supported by Rachel Corrie  and who repaid her by ensuring her death and it seems yourself, have little real interest in human life.     

Moderated by Beliefnet_community on Oct 10, 2010 - 01:20PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 10, 2010 - 1:20PM #6
Beliefnet_community

This thread was moved from Discuss Judaism.

We are listening! Problems, complaints, other issues? Send us a message at Beliefnet_community.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 11, 2010 - 2:53AM #7
Dostojevsky

Reading here about Rachel Corrie reminds me of the picture we have all seen on our televisions of a lone Chinese university student in front of the tank may years ago.

If he had been ran over, the whole world would have been up in arms including defenders of the Israeli actions in response to Rachel. Western politicians would have demanded sanctions etc etc. And IF Chinese tank had ran over an American citizen?...god help us* International Court of Justice, Human Rights, calling Ambassador .. all the tricks of the trade. It boils down to political self interest.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 11, 2010 - 4:58AM #8
habesor

Dos,

The Chinese person stood before a Chinese tank. He was in his home country taking part in a domestic political action. By the way, quite a number of Chinese were killed when the government suppressed the student protests though I don't know if that lone Chinese student was one of those killed. Rachel Corrie was far from her home, interfering in a foreign conflict. She was placed in a combat zone and was trying to prevent a military operation. According to her fellow provocateurs she had on occasion climbed up on the mound of earth being pushed by the blade and waved at the operator. Both the fact that she was not instantly killed and the results of the autopsy  indicates that she was not run over by the bulldozer but could have lost her footing, fell down and was partially buried under the earth and rocks being pushed in front of the blade. Had she been doing the same foolhardy thing at a construction site in the USA  she might just as easily been killed or injured.  

Rachel Corrie was just one more useless loss of life in this conflict.

Habesor 

Habesor
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 11, 2010 - 6:47AM #9
shmuelgoldstein

Oct 9, 2010 -- 11:23AM, BDboy wrote:

"The International Solidarity Movement (ISM) is a  Palestinian-run organization that lures its members into war zones to  act as human shields in obstructing counter-terrorism efforts.

>>>>> OK. So you are saying because it is a "Palestinian" run organization, they should be dismissed? I am a bit confused!!

If it is a "Palestinian" run organization, it should be called "The Palestinian Solidarity Movement", without the word "International".

Having "International" implies that the whole world is behind what they do, which is untrue, and a mis-representation of the group's definiton.

Imagine the "Israel Defense Forces" being called the "International Defense Forces", and you'll get the idea.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 11, 2010 - 4:26PM #10
BDboy

While Israel is the Jewish National Homeland, it does not have an official state religion and is a secular, multi-ethnic, liberal, democracy.

>>>>>> I am trying to learn about this from the "Source". If being "Jewish" is not important why the recent news telling us Israel is PUSHING Palestinian authority to accept Israel as a "Jewish" state as a precondition for "Peace talks"?

As far as I understand Israel for specially established for "Jewish" people and Jews from anywhere in the world can fly in and claim citizenship of Israel. However native Arabs ( Chrsitians and Muslims) have to go through many "Israeli check posts" to go from point A to point B. If this is a "Secular", "Liberal" or "Democratic", why don't I find any country in the world doing that to minirity citizens?

I am simply saying what I see in the news. Please educate me.

Your comments concerning the reasons for the re-establishment of the State of Israel reveal that you have no knowledge of Zionism or the founding of the modern state. Should you wish to learn about these topics, I would be more than happy to help you.

>>>>>> I have never been to ME but I can read. Still just to give you benifit of doubt, I looked it up again. Israel was established or re-established. It is a fact.

This is what I found in Wiki.

he State of Israel (Hebrew: מדינת ישראל‎, Medinat Yisrael) was established on May 14, 1948 after nearly two thousand years of Jewish dispersal, and after 55 years of efforts to create a Jewish homeland through Zionism. The 62 years since Israeli independence have been marked by conflict with neighbouring Arab states and the Palestinian-Arabs. There have also been many negotiations, and peace has been achieved with Egypt and Jordan. Since the creation of the Jewish state, the proportion of the world's Jews who live in Israel has grown to about 40%.[1]........Click here to read more

According to history books. The historical Israel or Biblical Israel was another state like ancient Babylon, Islamic southern Europe or Persian empire. But only Israel was reconstituted by the UN in modern times. It would be interesting if thousand year old empires start making claims based on ancient tale.

Don't get me wrong, I have been always for Israel ( A safe place for Jewish people). But when we discuss we should be honest about history.

Reading about Rachael made me think about raise of fanaticism of Israel. What is preventing us from callin spade a spade? Calling Rachael a "Terrorist" cannot stick [ Usual Israeli answer to all protests]. In the long run Israel should make some room where people can peacefully protest any Israeli policies. Otherwise extreamist people will keep getting support. That would be equally bad for Israel and Palestinians.

Rachael's case will be watched by people from all over the world. Israel has to show that it is a modern civilized country. I did not expect this from Saddam Hussain (Butcher of Baghdad) but my hope of Israel is much different. From painful history there is a potential for something beautiful to happen there.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 40  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 40 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook