Post Reply
Page 2 of 8  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Mexico Most Overweight Nation
4 years ago  ::  Sep 25, 2010 - 9:20PM #11
appy20
Posts: 10,165

Solfeggio,


I support, 100%, your right to hate us.  However, I don't have to respect your hypocrisy.  I would be more patient if you were more self-aware or honest. 


Rabello,


I did note that it probably ruined her day to have to include other nations in the problem. 


Also, a lot of things do focus on lifestyle BUT the big question why don't people fill up?  Why is the failure rate so high?   There are other factors.  Some suspected and others unknown.  The lifestyle could be the market's response to another problem.  What that other problem is, we are not sure.  If the problem is as simple as often stated by popular media, then the solution would be easier.  However, the failure rate for ALL diets, even the healthy lifestyle diets, is 95%.  Our lifestyle is not going to change.  We may just be in a period where evolution is going to weed some of us out due to the change in our environment.  External change does not work 95% of the time.  There is going to have to be biological change. 


 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 25, 2010 - 9:24PM #12
Abner1
Posts: 6,357

Weepingangel wrote:


>  It's easier to maintain one's health, than have to regain one's health.


True enough!  Years ago I made a deal with myself that I could eat whatever I wanted with one proviso: I had to exercise enough to not gain weight, or else cut back.  I never regretted it.  I've seen a lot of my friends go to seed since college, and it's almost impossible for them to get back in shape once they've lost it.  Many of them just gave up and are now forty or more pounds overweight; several of them have developed diabetes and/or high blood pressure.  I hate to think what's going to happen to my circle of friends over the next twenty years.  :(

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 25, 2010 - 9:34PM #13
appy20
Posts: 10,165

Sep 25, 2010 -- 9:24PM, Abner1 wrote:


Weepingangel wrote:


>  It's easier to maintain one's health, than have to regain one's health.


True enough!  Years ago I made a deal with myself that I could eat whatever I wanted with one proviso: I had to exercise enough to not gain weight, or else cut back.  I never regretted it.  I've seen a lot of my friends go to seed since college, and it's almost impossible for them to get back in shape once they've lost it.  Many of them just gave up and are now forty or more pounds overweight; several of them have developed diabetes and/or high blood pressure.  I hate to think what's going to happen to my circle of friends over the next twenty years.  :(




 It does not work for everyone because there are not enough hours in the day to burn off a bowl of cereal.  IF one works.  Most people I know are at work 10-12 hours per day and then they have to run errands after work.  So, by the time you get home, it is time to go to bed.  If they exercise only on the weekends, they are more susceptible to injury.  So, most people just can't eat.  It is very difficult to exercise enough to burn meaningful calories and work.  Obese folks do have to exercise more to make a difference.  Everyone is not playing with the same biology.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 25, 2010 - 9:36PM #14
Guessses
Posts: 2,233

Well, I had heard someplace that, a single tortilla has the same caloric intake as about 6 slices of bread.


Not a judgement. According to the Army height-weight chart I should be 5'10" by now and am only 5'8". I'm not overweight, I'm under tall!

Infinite Blessings
Mike/NAFOD
"Lord, please, protect me from Your followers!"
"WWBD? Buddha- Does it matter? If you are enlightened it does not. If you are not enlightened it still doesn't matter."
"If you go looking to place blame, eventually you'll wind up blaming the Gods"
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 25, 2010 - 9:38PM #15
arielg
Posts: 9,116

Mexican cuisine is very greasy, lots of sauces and fried foods. And a sedentary lifestyle. But among the kids, the culprit is defniitely bad eating habits and junk food. Mexicans are also the biggest Coca Cola drinkers. Some people drink Coca Cola with breakfast. (Their last president, Fox,  had been CEO of Coca Cola)



I am surprised Argentina didn't make the list.    Some heavy meat eating going on there and a lot of fat peaple..

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 25, 2010 - 9:43PM #16
appy20
Posts: 10,165

Mexican food is delicious and very fattening.  When I am on a "healthy lifestyle" I have to avoid that and Chinese food which is Americanized into a very unhealthy product with lots of sugar and fat.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 25, 2010 - 9:44PM #17
mytmouse57
Posts: 9,782

Knocked out of the number one spot? Unacceptable!


Try harder, America!

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 25, 2010 - 9:45PM #18
Abner1
Posts: 6,357

Appy20 wrote:


> Most people I know are at work 10-12 hours per day and then they have to run errands


> after work.  So, by the time you get home, it is time to go to bed.


I'm in the same boat, alas - but I've managed to make the time.  It's between a half hour and an hour per day, which isn't easy to free up ... but it is doable.


There are some people whose biochemistry is truly messed up and the exercise won't help ... but I don't have any reason to think that most people are in that boat.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 25, 2010 - 9:50PM #19
appy20
Posts: 10,165

Sep 25, 2010 -- 9:45PM, Abner1 wrote:


Appy20 wrote:


> Most people I know are at work 10-12 hours per day and then they have to run errands


> after work.  So, by the time you get home, it is time to go to bed.


I'm in the same boat, alas - but I've managed to make the time.  It's between a half hour and an hour per day, which isn't easy to free up ... but it is doable.


There are some people whose biochemistry is truly messed up and the exercise won't help ... but I don't have any reason to think that most people are in that boat.




The USDA is recommending more exercise than that for obese people.  The requirements are different if you are inclined to the problem.


Also, you have no life when you do that.  That would bother me. I would rather have a short life doing what I love than a long life just working and exercising.   That is a life of hell.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 25, 2010 - 9:55PM #20
Abner1
Posts: 6,357

Appy20 wrote:


> The USDA is recommending more exercise than that for obese people.  The requirements


> are different if you are inclined to the problem.


I can imagine.  That relates to what was just being discussed - it's a lot easier to prevent the problem of obesity than to solve it once it's gotten entrenched!


Some studies have been showing that fat actually causes changes in the body that make it more likely to eat more and to produce more fat cells.  It's not just a passive calorie storage system, it's actually almost an organ, producing hormones etc. on its own.  The worse it gets ... the worse it's likely to get!

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 8  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook