Page 1 of 8  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Mexico Most Overweight Nation
4 years ago  ::  Sep 25, 2010 - 8:20PM #1
solfeggio

A new report issued by the OECD (Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development) shows that the nation with the highest percentage of overweight people is Mexico:

www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/25/worlds...

In Mexico, something like 69% of the people are overweight.  But, close on that country's heels in the U.S., followed by New Zealand and Aussie, the UK, and Ireland. 

It seems that the English-speaking industrialised nations aren't doing a very good job of passing up the rich foods!

Well, I don't know about the States, but I do know that here in NZ we have seen people actually porking out year by year, until now it is common to see greatly overweight people everywhere.  And twenty-five or thirty years ago this just didn't happen.

Why are people getting fatter?  It probably has to do with the fact that people are eating a diet high in energy and low in nutrients, as well as being less active.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 25, 2010 - 8:23PM #2
Weepingangelofthetrees

Considering all the hype and hits America takes for having such a huge number of citizens suffering obesity and morbid obesity, that's a surprise article.   It's easier to maintain one's health, than have to regain one's health.

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
Stephen Colbert
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 25, 2010 - 8:31PM #3
solfeggio

Yeah, I don't think that Americans should always be singled out as the fattest, when other countries are just as bad.  Smile

It does seem to be a condition of affluence in some ways.  We can afford to drive cars everywhere instead of walking, and there's always all that fast food to be consumed.

Personally, I think fast food is one of the chief culprits.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 25, 2010 - 8:38PM #4
appy20

Solfeggio,

Must have ruined your day that the US wasn't number one. Number two still gives you somethig to gripe about the U.S.  So, your day is not completely ruined.

I know that you prefer prejudice to science and your education system failed to correct that but there is more to obesity than diet and bad habits.  People who learn all of their science from popular media tend to miss out on a lot of information and are completely oblivious to accurate understanding of any condition.  Here is a current article on some recent findings.  This is by no means a new theory.  It is not the first to consider a biological component to all of this.  There is a great suspicion among those that study obesity that there is more going on.  Your ignorance and desire to find fault may get in the way of any meaningful understanding or discussion on the topic. There is a whole lot of biological data that contradicts your beliefs but I doubt you would consider it or would be able to understand it if you did.  I had a college professor who said that the source of all evil was ignorance and the whole obesity thing is a perfect example.  People would rather hate fat people than understand them.   No matter how much science tries to explain it, those that need to hate someone eschew any other point of view. 

www.livescience.com/health/fat-virus-100...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 25, 2010 - 8:47PM #5
solfeggio

appy -

I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HELL IS THE MATTER WITH YOU, BUT I REALLY WISH YOU'D STOP WITH THE CRAPPY REPLIES TO ANYTHING I EVER CARE TO POST.  YOU MUST REALLY HAVE A PROBLEM WITH ANYBODY WHO DARES TO POST EVEN ONE WORD THAT HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE US NOT BEING THE WORLD'S BEST NATION.

JEEZE BUT I'M SICK OF YOUR HORSESHIT.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 25, 2010 - 8:54PM #6
rabello

Sep 25, 2010 -- 8:20PM, solfeggio wrote:

In Mexico, something like 69% of the people are overweight. 

It's the lard that goes into just about every dish.

Sep 25, 2010 -- 8:20PM, solfeggio wrote:

But, close on that country's heels in the U.S., followed by New Zealand and Aussie, the UK, and Ireland. 

It seems that the English-speaking industrialised nations aren't doing a very good job of passing up the rich foods!

Well, I don't know about the States, but I do know that here in NZ we have seen people actually porking out year by year, until now it is common to see greatly overweight people everywhere.  And twenty-five or thirty years ago this just didn't happen.

Why are people getting fatter?  It probably has to do with the fact that people are eating a diet high in energy and low in nutrients, as well as being less active.

It's the sedentary lifestyle.   There's a town in Massachusetts that has made it its business to increase physical activity among its schoolaged population (starting with the parents) to combat childhood obesity and they are getting positive results.   It is true, though, that they are also emphasizing fruits and vegetables in the diet and "cleaned up" the menu's in the scholl cafeterias.   Also, today, the tv cable network Nickolodeon stopped broadcasting for a number of hours to participate in Michelle Obama's "go out and play" day (not necessarily named that).

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 25, 2010 - 8:57PM #7
appy20

I just assume that people who can dish it out can take it.  Obviously, you can't.  When have I ever started a thread saying the U.S.  is the best nation?  When does a day go by when you do not start a thread finding fault with the U.S.  You, my dear, are the one with the problem, I just call you on it. You do the math.  I want you to find one thread that I have started that claims that the U.S. is the best.  How many times have I said that we are not the best?  Many.  You constantly start some thread that is a rant against some U.S. problem that you do not approve of. I don't think math, logic or science are your forte.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 25, 2010 - 9:06PM #8
rabello

Yeah, Solfeggio is a liberal who decries the way rightwing conservatism has taken over America.   That explains it!!

But she was clearly not talking about, nor "dissing", America, when she said:

Well, I don't know about the States, but I do know that here in NZ we have seen people actually porking out year by year, until now it is common to see greatly overweight people everywhere.  And twenty-five or thirty years ago this just didn't happen"

The increase in girth, and the consequences to the medical care available to people is a serious issue and is correlated to the advent of the personal computer, video games and gargantuan portions at "family" restaurants.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 25, 2010 - 9:07PM #9
solfeggio

appy -

You know what?  Any big, high-profile nation like the US is going to be the target of criticism, especially now that you are in decline.  And if I find articles in online newspapers detailing some problem with the US, that means that other people have decided to write about it.  And there is no law against pointing out the faults of a big, proud, once-great nation if it is

NEWSWORTHY

Which these stories are. 

And, I have started threads pointing out the nation's good points, such as a thread I started a week or so ago telling that the US universities were the finest in the world.  As well, I have told one poster (Jane) on several occasions in chats online here about my pleasant experiences travelling in the States and how the Americans were friendly, generous people.

I also pointed out in a post last week that I didn't hate any country. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 25, 2010 - 9:11PM #10
solfeggio

rabello -

Thank you for your post. 

Every now and then somebody succeeds in getting a rise out of me, and I explode. 

I've got nothing against the American people, who seem to have become trapped in ever-increasing circles of despair, and who see no end in sight.  I can understand that, because we are all worried about the economy here, too, and we are especially worried because America is so big and so powerful that if she goes down we'll all be caught up in the economic meltdown.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 8  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook