Page 1 of 14  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Next
Switch to Forum Live View The Annual Taiji Dolphin Hunt is Coming
4 years ago  ::  Aug 22, 2010 - 5:21PM #1
Mlyons619

This is sick --

Japanese mayor defends dolphin hunts

As children in inner tubes bob on the calm waters of this small ocean cove, a 550-pound (250-kilogram) dolphin zips through the crowd in pursuit of raw squid tossed out by a trainer.

Niru, a Risso's dolphin caught locally, seems unbothered by all the people and the squeals of surprise and delight. The cove is packed — it's a bright summer Sunday and hundreds of families have come.

But in two weeks, the waters of the cove will turn blood red, as it becomes a holding pen for annual hunts that capture and kill hundreds of dolphins each year...(more)

What can be done to stop this horror?

"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 22, 2010 - 5:41PM #2
Weepingangelofthetrees

I don't need to see gruesome. I've seen it before, but thanks for the warning.

Well, when one considers Japan's Kesen-numa City, is shark fin soup capital of Japan if not the world, and that horrific harvesting practice continues unabated this then is just another example that the Japanese government and fisheries industry are savages, without conscience or consciousness regarding sentient beings of any kind.

There's nothing that can be done. Sending money to tax exempt activist groups does nothing because those groups, by virtue of that 501c3 tax exempt status, are precluded by IRS law in pursuing any Legislative remedy, whether it be in the U.S. or abroad. Especially in Japan, where American based charities are just playing the role to their donors, in implying they have any chance of effecting foreign , or in this case especially Japanese, law.

Perhaps the Ocean powers will take a few of the Dolphin hunters out, in the process. Then at least there will be one or more less to hunt next day. Other than that, damn them to a thousand sufferings!

Or Boycott Japanese products and then send a letter to the Japanese government and tell them that's exactly what you're doing. Not that they care! Obviously. Frown

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
Stephen Colbert
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 22, 2010 - 6:07PM #3
Mlyons619

Aug 22, 2010 -- 5:41PM, Weepingangelofthetrees wrote:

...There's nothing that can be done....Perhaps the Ocean powers will take a few of the Dolphin hunters out, in the process. Then at least there will be one or more less to hunt next day. Other than that, damn them to a thousand sufferings...Or Boycott Japanese products and then send a letter to the Japanese government and tell them that's exactly what you're doing. Not that they care! Obviously...

You ASSUME they won't care.

You COULD

-- Send a letter to President Obama, Vice President Biden and the Japanese Ambassador to the US.
www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/72421...

OR

-- Press the Zoo and Aquarium Industry to stop the slaughter in Taiji:
The Aquarium industry must take responsibility to stop the drive fishery their colleagues exploit. Take action now.  www.thepetitionsite.com/3/stop-the-dolph...

But do SOMETHING if you want this to STOP.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 22, 2010 - 6:55PM #4
Weepingangelofthetrees

Well, letter writing hasn't worked in at least the last three years since Hayden Panettiere made this so very public in 2007.And Obama was aware of the issue then, because he was a Senator as was Biden. The Japanese government was inundated with letters, calls, emails, faxes and even telegrams from all over the world. (Warning! Graphic video of Dolphin slaughter where it says "click to play media"  @ this  LINK  )

I can't watch that first video! But that fisherman who's face is in the camera is but one example of the savagery that is responsible for this. They won't stop. It's industry! They haven't been forced to stop in these long years everyone has tried to get them to listen to reason, so they'll never stop in future when it means more money in tough economic times.  It's evil, what's in that video. But then again, the human animal is the only creature capable of conceiving of such a word, and then live up to it's definition.

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
Stephen Colbert
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 22, 2010 - 7:13PM #5
rabello

Thanks, Mlyons, for this thread.

Go to "Save Japan Dolphins" for information about what each of us can do, and about what Ric O'Barry's group is almost single-handedly doing to stop this particularly grotesque slaughter.   According to O'Barry, the dolphin slaughter in Taiji isn't just for food -- it is also to catch and then sell bottlenose dolphins, for thousands of dollars per animal,  to aquarium shows, like those at Sea World.

One thing that can be done, besides signing the petition and donating, is to participate in bringing public pressure on zoos and acquaria to do their part to stop the high-profits trading in dolphins for human entertainment.   While the bottlenose dolphins are the primary target of the hunters, all species of dolphins that are tricked into being herded into the trap at are literally hacked  to death.

Watch the Academy Award winning, documentary, The Cove, for information about these shows, and to learn how O'Barry went from the premier dolphin trainer to the world's premier Save the Dolphins activist.  His group will be in the water, in "the cove" off Taiji, and they need donations, now.

Per the website, Animal Planet will air a new series that shows the work being done by his Earth Island's Dolphin Project.  The first program is scheduled for Fri, Aug 27th.  Animal Planet will also air "The Cove" for the first time on Sun, Aug 29th. 

Save Japan Dolphins

Obviously, not everyone agrees that "nothing can be done".   Especially Ric O'Barry

Go to the Cove Movie website to learn more about what he has already been able to do to save dolphins, starting with the first Earth Day, in 1971, when he founded "The Dolphin Project"

About Ric O'Barry

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 22, 2010 - 10:06PM #6
jane2

Aug 22, 2010 -- 7:13PM, rabello wrote:

Thanks, Mlyons, for this thread.

Go to "Save Japan Dolphins" for information about what each of us can do, and about what Ric O'Barry's group is almost single-handedly doing to stop this particularly grotesque slaughter.   According to O'Barry, the dolphin slaughter in Taiji isn't just for food -- it is also to catch and then sell bottlenose dolphins, for thousands of dollars per animal,  to aquarium shows, like those at Sea World.

One thing that can be done, besides signing the petition and donating, is to participate in bringing public pressure on zoos and acquaria to do their part to stop the high-profits trading in dolphins for human entertainment.   While the bottlenose dolphins are the primary target of the hunters, all species of dolphins that are tricked into being herded into the trap at are literally hacked  to death.

Watch the Academy Award winning, documentary, The Cove, for information about these shows, and to learn how O'Barry went from the premier dolphin trainer to the world's premier Save the Dolphins activist.  His group will be in the water, in "the cove" off Taiji, and they need donations, now.

Per the website, Animal Planet will air a new series that shows the work being done by his Earth Island's Dolphin Project.  The first program is scheduled for Fri, Aug 27th.  Animal Planet will also air "The Cove" for the first time on Sun, Aug 29th. 

Save Japan Dolphins

Obviously, not everyone agrees that "nothing can be done".   Especially Ric O'Barry

Go to the Cove Movie website to learn more about what he has already been able to do to save dolphins, starting with the first Earth Day, in 1971, when he founded "The Dolphin Project"

About Ric O'Barry

Thanks for all the information, rabello.

I'll be watching the shows on Animal Planet.

J.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 22, 2010 - 10:13PM #7
solfeggio

It's always interesting to see how people worry about dolphins, but they have no problem at all with the ongoing killing of pigs, chickens, cows, lambs, calves, lobsters, crayfish, etc., etc., whose lives are every bit as precious as the life of a dolphin, or a whale, which is another animal about which everybody is always so concerned.

A life is a life is a life, whether it's the life of a mouse, a cow, a dog, a cat, a whale, or a dolphin.  

And whether or not an animal is endangered has nothing to do with the value of its life.

Unless or until the people in the West stop the wholesale killing of animals like cows and pigs and chickens, then and only then they can claim the moral high ground and condemn the Japanese for killing whales and dolphins. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 22, 2010 - 11:37PM #8
rangerken

I don't agree, Solf. Dolphins, like all cetaceans are very possibly sentient, and certainly highly intelligent. But the deer I shoot, and butcher, and eat every winter are not. Nor are the geese or ducks or pheasants or, on occasion, the wild boar I hunt.

That dolphin hunt is sickening. actually, it reminds me of a long past thing whereby game...ie. deer etc... was driven by beaters into a cul de sack where the animals could be easily slaughtered. That's sick also.

I think all whale hunting...all cetacean hunting... should be banned. I'll thoroughly enjoy my roast 'Bambi', but I'd never touch whale meat.

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 23, 2010 - 12:12AM #9
jane2

Aug 22, 2010 -- 11:37PM, rangerken wrote:

I don't agree, Solf. Dolphins, like all cetaceans are very possibly sentient, and certainly highly intelligent. But the deer I shoot, and butcher, and eat every winter are not. Nor are the geese or ducks or pheasants or, on occasion, the wild boar I hunt.

That dolphin hunt is sickening. actually, it reminds me of a long past thing whereby game...ie. deer etc... was driven by beaters into a cul de sack where the animals could be easily slaughtered. That's sick also.

I think all whale hunting...all cetacean hunting... should be banned. I'll thoroughly enjoy my roast 'Bambi', but I'd never touch whale meat.

Ken

I agree with your point about dolphins probably being sentient and they are highly intelligent. They do seem to almost crave human contact. And we love them. Fifty-five years ago on a sea trip to Bermuda my aunt who was taking me woke me before dawn to see the sunrise at sea and then the dolphins playing aroung our ship, then named The Queen of Bermuda. Our family has also vacationed at Sea Brook, a gated golf and beach resort in SC; every year we would find a dolphin cavorting in a small cove in the morning, welcoming and playing with the kids and adults.

Watched Whale Wars for a season+ on APL. I'm for whales, too.

J.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 23, 2010 - 12:12AM #10
Erey

I clicked on this thread because I was thinking WHAT is that????  What can they be talking about?

Anyway, here is my take knowing what little I understand.

Are those dolphins endangered?  If not then I personally don't see the problem in hunting them.  I don't support the idea of killing them just to kill them.

I agree that dolphins are some of the most fascinating creatures and are by all accounts very intelligent.  Pigs are also very intelligent creatures.  I don't know what is smarter a pig or a dolphin but they are both pretty smart.  Definately about as smart as your dog. 

I would never knowingly eat a dolphin  but I can't see damning people that do.  My revulsion at the idea of eating a dolphin or eating a horse is totally the result of my enculturation. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 14  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook