Page 11 of 11  •  Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11
Switch to Forum Live View France crackdown on the Roma
4 years ago  ::  Aug 24, 2010 - 12:53PM #101
appy20

Ebon,

I am not talking about shock jocks affecting our society although I think they do their harm. I adore Bill Maher, btw. 

What is happening in the U.S. is more insidious.  We are so paralyzed by opinion, being sued that we are losing local color.  We are losing all individuality.  We might as well start wearing uniforms.  Now, I do believe that some poltical correctness should remain. The N word should go.  I really think all races should lose it.   All that treats people badly should go.

However, it has gotten to the extreme that we can't have any uniqueness at all.   Not for the better.  There is great beauty in a community, state, region or even national quirkiness.  We have so many groups demanding that we become like them that we are becoming like nobody.  If you read on the Pets Board about the loss of our library cats you can see where I am coming from.  We have one person complained because she doesn't like cats and you have 200 people want the cats but we have to do what the one wants.  It is like that about everything. Sometimes, you have to stand up to outside ideas to preserve what is best about your own community. Outsiders are not always right nor are they always a healthy influence if all they want to do is reduce the best of what a place is.

I agree with you that language can't be controlled which is why I said in my first post on the subject FUTILE, law.  Nonetheless, I do think France has a language that it is understandable that they would want to protect. 

Teilhard,

I mean this sincerely.  Learn about the French language and don't view it only through paranoia of discrimination.  When you never give people the benefit of the doubt, you are as guilty of hating as the worst of Xenophobes.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 24, 2010 - 1:03PM #102
arielg

Aug 24, 2010 -- 12:38PM, teilhard wrote:

WOW ... !!!  What a Load ... !!! ( to carry, that is ... )

;-)

Aug 24, 2010 -- 12:35PM, appy20 wrote:

Telhard, read a book on the history of the French langauge.  The story is too complex to get entirely correct by posting here. It was designed by the best linguists, minds and poets.  No, while it may seem Xenophobic to you, it does not to me.  To want to preserve that great beauty makes perfect sense to me.  To preserve something like that, you are going to offend someone who wants to change it. 

The French language, like any language,  was not "designed". It just developed that way.  It wouldn't exist without Latin, for instance.

When you want to "preserve", anything,  you end up with something rotten in your hands.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 24, 2010 - 1:05PM #103
teilhard

LOL ... "French" was invented and spoken LONG before there were "Linguists" and Language "Designers" ( and Language POLICE ) ...

"Methinks thou dost protest TOO  MUCH ... "

Aug 24, 2010 -- 12:53PM, appy20 wrote:

Teilhard,

I mean this sincerely.  Learn about the French language and don't view it only through paranoia of discrimination.  When you never give people the benefit of the doubt, you are as guilty of hating as the worst of Xenophobes.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 24, 2010 - 1:09PM #104
Ebon

Aug 24, 2010 -- 12:29PM, allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:

Let me re-phrase.  

I doubt that it would come up in a conversation that I had. I don't really understand a bunch of the crap that happens, and have kind of adopted a "don't mess with me, and I won't mess with you" stance in regards to much of the world.  Which would be fine, except the world insists on messing with me. 

Now that much, I can understand and even sympathise with.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 24, 2010 - 1:10PM #105
teilhard

... huh ...

So ... "French" ... ISN'T ... The Perfect Language, beamed-down from God in Heaven ... ???

( I DO adore interesting "French Toast," though -- slathered with Butter, REAL Maple Syrup and Pecans ... !!!  YUM ... !!! ... )

Aug 24, 2010 -- 1:03PM, arielg wrote:

Aug 24, 2010 -- 12:38PM, teilhard wrote:

WOW ... !!!  What a Load ... !!! ( to carry, that is ... )

;-)

Aug 24, 2010 -- 12:35PM, appy20 wrote:

Telhard, read a book on the history of the French langauge.  The story is too complex to get entirely correct by posting here. It was designed by the best linguists, minds and poets.  No, while it may seem Xenophobic to you, it does not to me.  To want to preserve that great beauty makes perfect sense to me.  To preserve something like that, you are going to offend someone who wants to change it. 

The French language, like any language,  was not "designed". It just developed that way.  It wouldn't exist without Latin, for instance.

When you want to "preserve", anything,  you end up with something rotten in your hands.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 24, 2010 - 1:17PM #106
Ebon

I am not talking about shock jocks affecting our society although I think they do their harm. I adore Bill Maher, btw. 

I go back and forth. I think he's a tremendously funny guy a lot of the time but when he starts riding his hobbyhorse about, say, animal rights, he gets so extreme that even I tune him out. Also, he made some remarks about school bullying (along the lines of "we should just accept it") that I found highly offensive.

If you read on the Pets Board about the loss of our library cats you can see where I am coming from.  We have one person complained because she doesn't like cats and you have 200 people want the cats but we have to do what the one wants.  It is like that about everything. Sometimes, you have to stand up to outside ideas to preserve what is best about your own community. Outsiders are not always right nor are they always a healthy influence if all they want to do is reduce the best of what a place is.

Ah, but there, you're not talking about political correctness (I have a thing about words being used in their proper meaning), you're talking about American society being overly litigious (lawsuit-happy) or overly willing to surrender to cranks. On the latter, I entirely agree. On the former, I mostly agree but I'm damned if I know what can be done about it. Capping damages doesn't make any difference anywhere it's been tried and only serves to benefit abusive corporations anyway. Perhaps giving judges more leeway to impose fines on those bringing frivolous suits might help? Just an idea.

We still have library cats here, btw. As far as I can tell, it's just up to whether the staff are willing to take care of them.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 24, 2010 - 1:23PM #107
teilhard

Yes ... Maher is a VERY funny Comedian ... As such, he now-and-then goes WAY-over-the-Top to the Excessive Point of markedly In-Appropriate ...

Aug 24, 2010 -- 1:17PM, Ebon wrote:

I go back and forth. I think he's a tremendously funny guy a lot of the time but when he starts riding his hobbyhorse about, say, animal rights, he gets so extreme that even I tune him out. Also, he made some remarks about school bullying (along the lines of "we should just accept it") that I found highly offensive.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 03, 2010 - 1:18PM #108
Agnosticspirit

This thread has been moved from Hot Topics Zone. Local guidelines apply going forward.

--- agnosticspirit - Bnet community cohost HTZ

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 11 of 11  •  Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook