Page 4 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Good News From Russia
4 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2010 - 1:55PM #31
Wendyness

It is not only greed that destroys our planet, it is over population.  The consequences of over population are MAJOR.  IMO, there will be an intentional event in which a large population will die off, either by nuclear or biological poisoning. If the population of this planet continues at the current rate, the human race is doomed to suffer and die.

Water will be a major problem.  Just this week it was reported that pollution by a top gold producer has severely contaminated the Ding River.  4.2 million pounds of fish, DEAD.  What impact this will have on the local drinking water has not been disclosed. 

Clean water is necessary for the health of our planet and ultimately humans and it will become scarce. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2010 - 4:32PM #32
jane2

Jul 18, 2010 -- 1:18AM, solfeggio wrote:

We've got all those plastic water bottles here, too, and seeing them in the rubbish bins every Monday morning for pickup drives me nuts!  There's just too darn much plastic in this world today.

At least there are the recycle tubs, though.  Our city has a system whereby the cans go to one place, the glass to another, and the plastic to still another destination.  And as far as I know, the stuff does get reused.

I'm glad the supermarkets have these reusable bags now, though.  We just keep taking ours out with us every time we go shopping.  You can use them for all sorts of other things, too.  Reminds me of the good old days, when our mothers used to have net bags for groceries, before anybody had thought up plastic bags.

And, at least the old paper grocery bags could be recycled.  We don't have paper grocery bags here anymore at all, more's the pity.

The overwhelming use of plastice makes me a bit dizzy. We could have better campaigns to educate about the use and disposal : it's pretty hit or miss at this point. Part of it goes back to the oil industry and part of it goes to making containers cheap. My cousin and I were chatting on the phone recently about the cost of "containers", i.e why a small box of cereal costs almost as much as a large one.

We're also kind of neat freaks. We take beautifully displayed produce and put it in a plastic bag for check-out. Our seafood counters take fish and seafood and wrap it in plastic, then again in butcher paper.

Again just some musings.

J.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2010 - 6:06PM #33
Weepingangelofthetrees

Russia is a beautiful country. It's great to read they're going to preserve so much of her in this way. One day I'd love to venture there and take it all in.

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
Stephen Colbert
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2010 - 7:57PM #34
farragut

Just a couple of things, Jane; a major part of the cost of cereals is the advertising. And I believe the fish is so wrapped that it will not leak over the rest of your groceries.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2010 - 9:18PM #35
jane2

Jul 18, 2010 -- 7:57PM, farragut wrote:

Just a couple of things, Jane; a major part of the cost of cereals is the advertising. And I believe the fish is so wrapped that it will not leak over the rest of your groceries.

I'm sure the advertising adds to the cost of cereal and that plastic is used to keep seafood from leaking, especially since it is kept on ice. But we still put loose produce in plastic bags for check-out--keeps the conveyor belts cleaner.

.But a small box of store-brand cereal still costs almost as much as a large one.

I don't pretend to have any real answers to most of this; I just observe.

J.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2010 - 11:16PM #36
solfeggio

We were just watching our DVD of Sabrina last night (one of our very favourite films, showing Audrey Hepburn at her most enchanting.  How very special she was.) 

So, anyway, in the film Humphrey Bogart is a businessman who has come up with an idea of making plastic out of sugar cane!  And he has had a big sheet of this transparent plastic made which he shows to his brother (played by William Holden).  Bogart is very proud of this invention, which won't melt or burn, repells bullets, and is generally very flexible.  He has a really big sheet of the stuff made for a meeting of his Board of Directors in which he balances it between two chairs and has several secretaries bounce up and down on it, showing that it won't bend or break.

Does that sound unbelievable?  Well, actually, plastic can be made out of sugar cane!

www.ecofriend.org/entry/metamorphosis-of...

And not just sugar cane, but all sorts of plants:

www.usatoday.com/money/industries/manufa...

So, why do companies keep making it out of petroleum? 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2010 - 11:59PM #37
jane2

Jul 18, 2010 -- 11:16PM, solfeggio wrote:

We were just watching our DVD of Sabrina last night (one of our very favourite films, showing Audrey Hepburn at her most enchanting.  How very special she was.) 

So, anyway, in the film Humphrey Bogart is a businessman who has come up with an idea of making plastic out of sugar cane!  And he has had a big sheet of this transparent plastic made which he shows to his brother (played by William Holden).  Bogart is very proud of this invention, which won't melt or burn, repells bullets, and is generally very flexible.  He has a really big sheet of the stuff made for a meeting of his Board of Directors in which he balances it between two chairs and has several secretaries bounce up and down on it, showing that it won't bend or break.

Does that sound unbelievable?  Well, actually, plastic can be made out of sugar cane!

www.ecofriend.org/entry/metamorphosis-of...

And not just sugar cane, but all sorts of plants:

www.usatoday.com/money/industries/manufa...

So, why do companies keep making it out of petroleum? 

Maybe no one wanted us to know ?????

I'm not much of a scientist, solf, but wouldn't such plastic be biodegradable?  Is cost a considerable factor?

I'm probably just naive enough to believe many of us would support programs to use less of the petro-plastic if given a chance.

One problem that came out of the late go-go eighties was accumulating too much junk and seeking prices that would accomplish this--at least here. Especially during the "holiday" season the garbaage advertised by Walmart, etc. makes me a little crazy : napkin rings, tableware, yada, yada. We actually used napkin rings at my grandparents because linen napkins were used over. A family can have dishes and goblets and glasses used year after year; same with holiday decorations. I have Irish linen and Waterford and sterling but not enough room any longer to give a big holiday dinner. But I use the good china and silver for smaller dinners. I also have casual linens--old by now--for more casual use with everyday dishes and Oneida stainless : decent paper napkins.

Love Audrey Hepburn. Want to order WAR AND PEACE the movie for my 15 y-o granddaughter who will be studying advanced world history this coming school year. Movies can give insight.

In truth, I really dislike a throw-away society.

J.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 20, 2010 - 3:52AM #38
Dostojevsky

Jane2, we blessd the day when plastics came. Even today don't think we could live without it. Some can be recycled which is good thing perhaps one day everything can be made use of.

I heard about War and Peace when young  but never read the book. Thanks for reminding me, that would be a video/dvd worth watching

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 20, 2010 - 11:47AM #39
Ebon

Jul 18, 2010 -- 11:59PM, jane2 wrote:

I'm not much of a scientist, solf, but wouldn't such plastic be biodegradable?  Is cost a considerable factor?

Here in Britain, there used to be a supermarket chain called Spar which used bags made from sugarcane-based plastics and yes, they were biodegradable. I don't know what the cost was but for whatever reason, they never caught on in other supermarkets and I have no idea if Spar still use them.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 20, 2010 - 5:36PM #40
Wendyness

Corn plastic is available.  You can buy it on the internet.  It's not a "perfect" solution, however, it is not petroleum based.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook