Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Good News From Russia
4 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2010 - 11:30PM #1
solfeggio

The Russian government has announced that it is creating new national parks, nature reserves, and protected areas in an effort to maintain biodiversity.  These will total an area about the size of Switzerland.

www.wwf.org.nz/?4721/Russia-to-create-ne...

Russia already has about one hundred nature reserves, mostly developed during the time of the Soviet Union.  These reserves account for about 1% of the total land area of Russia.  The new national parks and protected areas will raise this total to about 3%.

Anything being done to help preserve the earth's biodiversity (which is a contracted version of  'biological diversity') and an all-encompasing definition of utmost importance to all of us.  Since the rise of civilisation, humans have been the greatest factor affecting biodiversity.  What we must learn to understand is that without a diverse global ecosystem, our very survival as a species would be in danger.  Because all species have a role to play in ecosystem productivity.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 12, 2010 - 3:42PM #2
mytmouse57

Urban/suburban sprawl is the worst threat to habitat and biodiversity -- at least IMO.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 12, 2010 - 5:51PM #3
TemplarS

Well, good news as far as it goes.  Still a lot more to be done, some of it beyond Russia's control nowadays. For example, what the Soviets did to the Aral Sea is a crime; then they left it for the Kazakhs and Uzbeks to deal with.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 13, 2010 - 4:37AM #4
Dostojevsky

Templer, that's not good enough.

You arouse interest then leave us dangling.. dangling..

What happened in Aral Sea??

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 13, 2010 - 4:22PM #5
TemplarS

Read it and weep- literally.

www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/7554...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 13, 2010 - 5:59PM #6
solfeggio

The Aral Sea disaster is the best-known of environmental disasters from non-sustainable development. 

www.mediaglobal.org/article/2010-04-28/d...

Central Asian states continue to meet to try to find solutions to this tragedy, but most of the experts agree that the sea is beyond redemption.  The loss of the sea has actually changed the very climate of the area for the worse.

What happened in Uzbekistan should be an object lesson for all nations.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 14, 2010 - 2:09AM #7
Dostojevsky

Thanks Templer; yu right, something to weep about.

That reminded me of cotton farmers in Australia given huge water allocation.

People are objecting.. so far it hasn't helped. Nature is unforgiving when we do things wrong. We need new 'respect' for our mother earth*

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2010 - 12:15AM #8
solfeggio

The fact that there has been so little response to this particular thread shows the lack of interest many people have in even talking about preserving the environment.

It's just not a high priority.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2010 - 11:21AM #9
mainecaptain

Sof, I fear you may be right. A lot of people do not see the enviroment as something to be protected. It is almost all I think about.

I have a tiny plot of land and I keep adding trees. I also do other things such as reduce energy by turning off lights in rooms I am not in and using lower energy demanding bulbs.

I also reuse, reduce and recycle. I do think people want to do those things, but can not figure out how. Others just don't care. I love our planet, and realize it is our only home.

Keeps me awake at night knowing what people are doing to this our only haven, Planet Earth

And yes it is good news, that parks and nature areas are becoming important in Russia, my hat is off to that effort :)

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2010 - 12:01PM #10
Wendyness

Jul 15, 2010 -- 12:15AM, solfeggio wrote:

The fact that there has been so little response to this particular thread shows the lack of interest many people have in even talking about preserving the environment.

It's just not a high priority.

The question is what stops mankind from making it "a high priority"? A patriarchal world does not value the "feminine".  When the "feminine" is honored as sacred we will have a different earth.  The connection between how women are treated GLOBALLY and how we treat our planet are very much connected.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook