Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View Wyoming threatens to sell of part of Grand Teton National Park
6 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2010 - 12:50PM #1
mytmouse57

I've been disappointed time and again with my state's approach to land use/wildlife issues -- but this just about takes the cake.

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100704/ap_on_re_us...

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2010 - 1:05PM #2
mountain_man

In-holdings like this can be a pain for National Parks. We have a few here. One thing to think about though is that new roads are now extremely difficult to build in national parks. If Wyoming does sell their in-holding the new owners might not be able to get a road to it. The "best and highest use" of this bit of land is as a natural preserve.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.   Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2010 - 1:20PM #3
mytmouse57

"Best and highest use" is almost always a euphamism for catering to the lazy and crass -- or those who want to whore everything for profit.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 12, 2010 - 4:09AM #4
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook