Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Good For the Netherlands!
4 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2010 - 5:55PM #1
solfeggio

Why should we praise the Netherlands?  Because it ranks first in the world in health system performance:

www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/06/10...

Other countries in the top six include Australia, the United Kingdon, Canada, New Zealand, Germany.  And, oh yes, the U.S. is seventh.

What's striking is that the Netherlands spends $3,837 per capita on health care, whereas the U.S. spends $7,290. 

So, what's that all about?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2010 - 6:27PM #2
rocketjsquirell

One of the reasons is that in the Netherlands all persons are required to carry health insurance and the health insurance policies and cost of the policies are regulated. We will not have mandatory insurance for a few more years. We may or may not have a sufficiently regulated insurance industry by the time we get mandatory insurance

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2010 - 10:49PM #3
TemplarS

Not only that, but they actually made it through to the second round in South Africa, unlike a few of the other major European disappointments...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2010 - 11:17PM #4
loveontheair

Hello,

How about population for starters...USA 309.581,000 and Netherlands...16,619,550. I rest my case.

love

Good works will never produce faith, but faith will always produce good works. loveontheair
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2010 - 11:34PM #5
mountain_man

Jun 24, 2010 -- 11:17PM, loveontheair wrote:

How about population for starters...USA 309.581,000 and Netherlands...16,619,550. I rest my case.

You stated the population of each country. You made no case to rest.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2010 - 11:36PM #6
loveontheair

Hello,

Population, GNP plus intelligence.

love

Good works will never produce faith, but faith will always produce good works. loveontheair
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2010 - 12:29AM #7
solfeggio

Population has nothing to do with the fact that the Netherlands manages to get more bang for the buck, so to speak, than the Americans.

And what does intelligence have to do with anything?

Or, are you implying that Americans are more intelligent than the citizens of the other nations listed?  If so, you are sadly mistaken.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2010 - 12:38AM #8
mountain_man

Jun 24, 2010 -- 11:36PM, loveontheair wrote:

You're not making any sense.

Never mind. Sorry to have bothered you.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2010 - 12:42AM #9
mountain_man

Jun 25, 2010 -- 12:29AM, solfeggio wrote:

Population has nothing to do with the fact that the Netherlands manages to get more bang for the buck, so to speak, than the Americans.

And what does intelligence have to do with anything?

Or, are you implying that Americans are more intelligent than the citizens of the other nations listed?  If so, you are sadly mistaken.

I think he's trying to say that the Dutch are more intelligent than the Americans because they get more out of their medical dollars. All those other countries are more intelligent than the USA because they have better health care systems.... and it seems a better education system too.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2010 - 5:47AM #10
CharikIeia

Jun 25, 2010 -- 12:38AM, mountain_man wrote:

Jun 24, 2010 -- 11:36PM, loveontheair wrote:

You're not making any sense.

I'd guess the idea is somehow "not federal - regulate on state level" or so.The Netherlands would range between Florida and Illinois, for such a comparison...

Of course, this reasoning by population size is nonsense, as on the state level, the US system is much more dysfunctional than on the federal level due to some insurers being quasi-monopolists in several US states.

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook